News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

My take on open carry

Started by jimbogumbo, August 05, 2022, 08:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Any one who feels the necessity to "open carry" has deep insecurity issues.  Period.  The end.

mamselle

When I first saw this title, I was thinking it meant beer.

Yikes.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mamselle on August 06, 2022, 07:30:42 AM

Yikes.

M.

Hah! On that topic I want the New Orleans take to be a Federal Right- the right to open carry? Hurricane in hand, I make my stand.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: nebo113 on August 06, 2022, 07:16:51 AM
Any one who feels the necessity to "open carry" has deep insecurity issues.  Period.  The end.

Either that or they want to show all us "liberals" that we can't impinge on their "Second Amendment Rights!  #@!$ yeah, 'Merica!  Pry it from my cold dead hand!" which could very well happen if enough people carry guns.

Some fella working in the parking lot of the book store was carrying a large caliber (a .45 I think) handgun on his belt.  His presence frightened my wife.  He was friendly, however, and complimented me on my Led Zeppelin shirt.  I said, "Thank you."  He was a very small man and may have been harboring some generic masculine insecurities there, but generally if they are just hauling around their weapons in plain sight they don't want to shoot you----they just want you to know that they could shoot you if they wanted.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

If ever I saw anyone walking around in the world with a gun, I'd call the cops. Yes, even stateside. It's not my job to sort out the good from the bad guys, and as far as I'm concerned, totting one around is threatening behaviour. (Presumably, that'll show up in court in a stand-your-ground state sometime, if it hasn't already.)

Here, of course, carrying openly is an indication that someone is gonna kill people. That's a much simpler sorting mechanism.
I know it's a genus.

Juvenal

Quote from: mamselle on August 06, 2022, 07:30:42 AM

Yikes.

M.

I thought it meant beer, iron, and attitude.  W/O those--where would the thrillers I truffle through be?
Cranky septuagenarian

fishbrains

I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

nebo113

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 06, 2022, 11:01:42 AM
If ever I saw anyone walking around in the world with a gun, I'd call the cops. Yes, even stateside. It's not my job to sort out the good from the bad guys, and as far as I'm concerned, totting one around is threatening behaviour. (Presumably, that'll show up in court in a stand-your-ground state sometime, if it hasn't already.)

Here, of course, carrying openly is an indication that someone is gonna kill people. That's a much simpler sorting mechanism.

That's my dilemma.  Let's say I'm in Walmart (which I avoid) but some dude is walking around with his "weapon".  Is he a good guy with a gun or a bad guy with a gun??  How am I supposed to tell the difference???  Even a so-called "good guy with a gun"  (at least in these here parts) might get pissed if I accidentally hit his cart or looked at him cross-eyed or.....and turn his penile extender toward me, even if he didn't ejaculate pull the trigger.  And we do have nutcase militia types around here.

nebo113

Quote from: fishbrains on August 06, 2022, 05:38:42 PM
Quote from: ciao_yall on August 05, 2022, 08:32:45 AM
This is mine.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/25/cocks-not-glocks-texas-campus-carry-gun-law-protest

Many of these students are going to be very disappointed on their wedding night.

Just sayin' . . .

What an image.  Rolling my eyes, laughing, and groaning all at once.

Wahoo Redux

I rather imagine that if people stopped caring about open-carry it would no longer be a cause celebre for the gun nuts----the same principle one might use on an obnoxious child.

mamselle

Yeah, but for those who just might act on their impulses, it's not really safe.

People with a chip on their shoulder really can't be trusted...been there, seen that.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Yes, some people are impulsive and very unpredictable, which can be dangerous. It's very discouraging to see more 'death-by-gun' articles in the news.

I just don't even know where to start with this topic. I'm not adverse to owning a gun, it's just that there seem to be more hoops to jump through to legally drive a car than to own a gun in this country. And yes, there will always be people who break the law, drive illegally, buy guns illegally, but I still think that we need to do something about the problem. Unfortunately, my 'conservative' friends strongly subscribe to the 'we need a good guy with a gun' and think that I'm suggesting that nobody be allowed to have a gun. Dude! I'm not saying take away your rights to own and carry, we just need to make it more difficult for unhinged people to possess them.

Wahoo Redux

To be fair, I don't think it is the "open carry" bunch who are committing gun crimes.

Mass shooters tend to have their parents' legally obtained weapons or legally buy them themselves----but this is not the same as "open carry."

Criminals tend to have guns from other means.

I think we need to make the distinction.

Even though our neighborhood is pretty safe, our city is kind of scary and the drivers are insane.  We have had some gas station stick-ups and some serious gun violence on the nearest boulevard to our house.  We have a couple of guns in our home that I brought from my mother's house when my nieces were wild teenagers and I worried they might create some kind of stupid situation, but now I am very happy they are in our own house.  I broached the subject about getting a firearm to keep in the car, but my wife was not overly enthusiastic.