News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Chorizo NE Proxima Centauri

Started by poiuy, August 06, 2022, 10:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poiuy

A French scientist posted a tweet saying it was from the space telescope, showing a picture of the star Proxima Centauri, except it wasn't:
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/08/05/europe/scientist-space-image-chorizo-intl-scli-scn/index.html

After the resulting brouhaha, his excuse was that the readers couldn't take a joke because of a combination of confirmation bias and cocktail hour!

I wonder what other things it will be necessary to clarify? "It's the undusted underside of the scientist's office furniture, not an amazing new type of galaxy?" Or ... ?

Wahoo Redux

That was brilliant and hilarious.

What a bunch of knicker-twisters who complained.

"This is the inside of my glass after drinking a smoothy, not the residue of a government toxic waste dump coverup!"
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

ergative

Delightful. I've been really enjoying the wonder and public engagement with the space telescope, and it does my heart good to see that the pranks and spoofs have started emerging on schedule.

OneMoreYear

I love this.  Having fun with science! Maybe I will add it to my confirmation bias lecture.

And the picture of the Cartwheel galaxy was gorgeous.

Harlow2

Chorizo. Hmmm. Cocktail party food indeed.

evil_physics_witchcraft

T'was funny. I don't understand why some people got so upset.

Thursday's_Child

Agree that your knickers/shorts have to be in a really tight twist if you can't appreciate the humor in this!

Someone needs to start a photo competition so we can see what else is out there in the great unknown depths of the universe-here-at-hand.

apl68

The loudest complaints came from Italian astronomers, who were upset that he didn't use mortadella.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

poiuy

Quote from: apl68 on August 08, 2022, 09:38:24 AM
The loudest complaints came from Italian astronomers, who were upset that he didn't use mortadella.

Maybe the mortadella wasn't as out of this world as the chorizo.

apl68

Quote from: poiuy on August 08, 2022, 10:21:49 PM
Quote from: apl68 on August 08, 2022, 09:38:24 AM

Maybe the mortadella wasn't as out of this world as the chorizo.

Well, that's my personal opinion on the subject.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all