News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite art, architecture, etc.

Started by ab_grp, August 01, 2019, 01:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

mythbuster   Favorite modern art: Calder mobiles.

When I lived in the DC area, I would go to the East Wing of the National Gallery and simply sit and gaze at the Calder mobile....mesmerizing.

fourhats

When I used to live in London, one of my favorite things to do was run into the National Gallery or the National Portrait Gallery, even for half an hour or less to look at a few of my favorite paintings. Sometimes I would just get off my bus, go in for a short visit to say hello to the pictures I loved, then get back on the next bus. Once you see a favorite picture in person, no reproductions are ever the same. I loved that the museums there are free, so you can do that, unless the major American museums where you pay $20 and up, and feel obligated to try to see everything in one visit. And that people without a lot of money are unable to go in. And also have to compete with the selfie sticks (something now a problem around the world) to even get close enough to get a glimpse. But to be almost alone with a favorite work of art was bliss.

Anselm

I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

mamselle

Quote from: nebo113 on August 09, 2019, 05:29:25 AM
mythbuster   Favorite modern art: Calder mobiles.

When I lived in the DC area, I would go to the East Wing of the National Gallery and simply sit and gaze at the Calder mobile....mesmerizing.

I was with a friend living in the Raleigh-Durham area once: they have a huge Frank Stella piece, and a smaller Calder stabile, I think.

We waited until the room guard had gone to the next room to blow on the Calder stabile to activate it....felt very daring, but also what (we thought) he'd have wanted...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

I enjoyed popping into the National Portrait Galley/American Art Museum near my work in downtown DC.

Quote from: fourhats on August 09, 2019, 08:51:53 AM
When I used to live in London, one of my favorite things to do was run into the National Gallery or the National Portrait Gallery, even for half an hour or less to look at a few of my favorite paintings. Sometimes I would just get off my bus, go in for a short visit to say hello to the pictures I loved, then get back on the next bus. Once you see a favorite picture in person, no reproductions are ever the same. I loved that the museums there are free, so you can do that, unless the major American museums where you pay $20 and up, and feel obligated to try to see everything in one visit. And that people without a lot of money are unable to go in. And also have to compete with the selfie sticks (something now a problem around the world) to even get close enough to get a glimpse. But to be almost alone with a favorite work of art was bliss.
I revisited both places while I was in London back in May! :)

Vkw10

Quote from: hmaria1609 on August 09, 2019, 06:58:03 PM
I enjoyed popping into the National Portrait Galley/American Art Museum near my work in downtown DC.

Quote from: fourhats on August 09, 2019, 08:51:53 AM
I revisited both places while I was in London back in May! :)

If I'm going to be near a major museum for several days, I often pay for a membership so I can pop in several times. This year, I have a membership at the Chicago Art Institute, which I've enjoyed during two business trips and am looking forward to using again in October.

I'm also a member of a museum near home that participates in both the North American Reciprocal Museum Association and the Reciprocal Organization of Associated Museums. My membership card entitles me to member admission rates at hundreds of  museums. Many museums in small cities have a few works by major artists, plus works by less well-known artists.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)