Author Topic: First world problems! Share them here!  (Read 15415 times)

ciao_yall

• Distinguished Senior Member
Re: First world problems! Share them here!
« Reply #420 on: September 22, 2022, 05:42:02 AM »
New Yorker Article on Bananas, 2011

Let me know if it's behind a paywall and I'll send you a PDF.

Anselm

• Guardian against dark psychic forces
  • CHE Posts: 3500
« Reply #421 on: September 23, 2022, 12:23:37 PM »
I've read the same dire warnings about the cacao plant being threatened by some fungus.

My current problem is the NPR pledge drive, pure psychological torture and I am too lazy to get up and change the station.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

secundem_artem

• A modest man with much to be modest about.
  • CHE Posts: 2347
« Reply #422 on: September 23, 2022, 01:06:36 PM »
What amazes me is thinking about how green bananas must be when harvested, to still need ripening when they reach us in faraway places.

Some fun factoids:

The bananas that we usually find in the grocery store are all the same cultivar - Cavendish.  This cultivar is extremely consistent in the time it takes to harvest, ship overseas, work it's way to the grocery shelf and ripen to the degree that we like to eat them.  Unfortunately, this has (no surprise) led to a monoculture as to the bananas grown for commercial sale.  And that's a problem because Cavendish bananas are quite susceptible to a fungal disease - Black Sigatoka - originally seen in Fiji (I was in Sigatoka about 10 yrs ago).  The fungus can reduce yields by up to 50%. 

Spraying with antifungals requires multiple applications and is beyond the reach of small farmers.  Developing resistant cultivars is in the works, but they may not (1) taste the same as Cavendish (2) have the same ripening characteristics as Cavendish.

Last fun factoid - Some of you may have tried an old fashioned penny candy "Circus Peanuts"  They are shaped like an unshelled peanut and usually sorta orange in color.  They are flavored with artificial banana flavoring.  I am told that artificial flavor resembles what bananas tasted like before Cavendish became the banana that we know have in the stores.

And thus endeth the lesson.

I've heard about this before. It's one of those situations where, intellectually, I know I should probably worry about the State of the Banana, nation but I've never, ever cared for bananas, so I can't bring myself to be concerned. Indeed, I sometimes want the Cavendish to hurry up and die already so I can see if whatever variety replaces it is more to my taste.

I was talking with a friend a while back and we had more or less the same opinion about Donald Trump.  I loathe him completely and know that I should worry about whatever damage he can do, but realistically, the chance of any of his policies materially affecting my life is pretty low.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

evil_physics_witchcraft

• Distinguished Senior Member
  • Druidic harbinger of Nature's voice.
« Reply #423 on: September 23, 2022, 02:46:29 PM »
I've read the same dire warnings about the cacao plant being threatened by some fungus.

My current problem is the NPR pledge drive, pure psychological torture and I am too lazy to get up and change the station.

Nooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!