Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

By the moonlit shore
Two deer have come for water
One sound makes them flee
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

nebo113

Given the beauty of the haiku written by apl68, I am almost hesitant to post.  Having been in Winter Quarters for several months, I returned to my mountain abode to evidence of meece, which the lack thereof would be surprising.  Fortunately, it was not much, no orgies apparently.

However,  after being home for a day or so, I wandered into the guest bathroom....to discover that a little meece had committed suicide by drowning in the toilet.  Ugh.

Then I discovered that it must have been starving as I found evidence that it had gnawed on a candle and gnawed into a plastic jar of cumin.  Yes, cumin.

A far cry, however, from the year of the 13 meece.  And last year there were only three.

apl68

Quote from: nebo113 on April 21, 2022, 07:26:42 AM
Given the beauty of the haiku written by apl68, I am almost hesitant to post.  Having been in Winter Quarters for several months, I returned to my mountain abode to evidence of meece, which the lack thereof would be surprising.  Fortunately, it was not much, no orgies apparently.

However,  after being home for a day or so, I wandered into the guest bathroom....to discover that a little meece had committed suicide by drowning in the toilet.  Ugh.

Then I discovered that it must have been starving as I found evidence that it had gnawed on a candle and gnawed into a plastic jar of cumin.  Yes, cumin.

A far cry, however, from the year of the 13 meece.  And last year there were only three.

Well...nature's not always pretty.  Which haiku sometimes acknowledge, by the way.

The new mountain green
Did not prepare me to find
A mouse in the john
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

nebo113

Quote from: apl68 on April 21, 2022, 07:35:03 AM
Quote from: nebo113 on April 21, 2022, 07:26:42 AM

Well...nature's not always pretty.  Which haiku sometimes acknowledge, by the way.

The new mountain green
Did not prepare me to find
A mouse in the john

I will be giggling on and off all day!!   That is hilarious!!!!  Thank you!!

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

The lodge lights are bright
When I step away from them
I can see the stars

AmLitHist

While pulling weeds and cleaning the last remnants of dead leaves from around my penestemon and lamb's ears, I lifted up a handful of mess to put into the lawn waste bag. In a split second, I realized that the extremely long fat earthworm was not, and instead was a foot-long slender gray snake. 

I hate snakes. I didn't scream, but I did throw the whole handful to the ground and got ALHS from around the corner of the house; he took the grabber tool and carried the snake to the grass by the side of the street, after making me take a picture of it with his phone and after acting like he was going to toss the snake on me. He's lucky I didn't deck him in the front yard with all the neighbors watching.

I'm truly not the hysterical type, but <<shudder>>.  I hate snakes, with apologies to the snake lovers here.  <<shudder>>

Puget

Quote from: AmLitHist on April 22, 2022, 10:25:51 AM
While pulling weeds and cleaning the last remnants of dead leaves from around my penestemon and lamb's ears, I lifted up a handful of mess to put into the lawn waste bag. In a split second, I realized that the extremely long fat earthworm was not, and instead was a foot-long slender gray snake. 

I hate snakes. I didn't scream, but I did throw the whole handful to the ground and got ALHS from around the corner of the house; he took the grabber tool and carried the snake to the grass by the side of the street, after making me take a picture of it with his phone and after acting like he was going to toss the snake on me. He's lucky I didn't deck him in the front yard with all the neighbors watching.

I'm truly not the hysterical type, but <<shudder>>.  I hate snakes, with apologies to the snake lovers here.  <<shudder>>
What kind of snake? I'm sure that makes a difference in attitude.

Where I grew up there were no venomous snakes, just garter snakes, which I spent many happy summer days catching and releasing with the neighbors kids.

A number of years ago, my parents were having landscape work done, and the guy operating the mini backhoe dug up a nest of many hibernating garter snakes. My mother was alerted to this fact by the big burly landscaper standing on the seat of the mini backhoe and screaming repeatedly. She took great joy in telling him not to worry, she'd take care of them, then calmly scooping up the whole pile of snakes in her arms and moving them to the field. 
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on April 22, 2022, 11:01:22 AM
Quote from: AmLitHist on April 22, 2022, 10:25:51 AM

What kind of snake? I'm sure that makes a difference in attitude.

Where I grew up there were no venomous snakes, just garter snakes, which I spent many happy summer days catching and releasing with the neighbors kids.

A number of years ago, my parents were having landscape work done, and the guy operating the mini backhoe dug up a nest of many hibernating garter snakes. My mother was alerted to this fact by the big burly landscaper standing on the seat of the mini backhoe and screaming repeatedly. She took great joy in telling him not to worry, she'd take care of them, then calmly scooping up the whole pile of snakes in her arms and moving them to the field.

I'm sorry, but that is a funny image. I caught a copperhead at my house (I know- very foolish) using a bucket (and a long broom!) and gave it to my herpetologist friends to relocate. SO HAAAAATTTTEEEESSSS snakes, so he's right there with you ALH, and it's hard when I find a cute DeKay's in the backyard and want to share it with someone. He tolerates my behavior. :)

Juvenal

The cat on the lawn
And bird on the grass.
A feather on the door mat.
Cranky septuagenarian

Parasaurolophus

I was hoping to see cetaceans this evening, but instead it was a pile of eagles, vultures, cormorants, geese, and a seal.
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

I spent the morning trying to get video of spawning damselfish, but was mostly thwarted by (other) Neoprene Apes (Homo scubaquaticus).

Still, I've seen Mantas, dolphins, 3 kinds of eels, 4 kinds of spawning damselfish (including potential video proof of a suspected hybridization), lots of other popular marine species, and one novice Neoprene Ape - now named SeaSmolt.

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

nebo113

Quote from: Juvenal on April 22, 2022, 04:00:31 PM
The cat on the lawn
And bird on the grass.
A feather on the door mat.

My critters generally leave more than a mere feather.  Either half digested vomit or eviscerated corpse. 

mamselle

Quote from: FishProf on April 22, 2022, 08:47:29 PM
I spent the morning trying to get video of spawning damselfish, but was mostly thwarted by (other) Neoprene Apes (Homo scubaquaticus).

Still, I've seen Mantas, dolphins, 3 kinds of eels, 4 kinds of spawning damselfish (including potential video proof of a suspected hybridization), lots of other popular marine species, and one novice Neoprene Ape - now named SeaSmolt.

Wonder if teaching SeaSmolt to do the camera work would net you a few good photos?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Quote from: mamselle on April 23, 2022, 06:09:07 AM
Quote from: FishProf on April 22, 2022, 08:47:29 PM

Wonder if teaching SeaSmolt to do the camera work would net you a few good photos?

M.

All in good time.  I'm playing the long game here.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.