News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Double posted in bird thread:

Raccoons are back, so must remove feeders from back porch at night.  They never clean out the feeders on the front porch or in the yard......selective!

Thursday's_Child

Grey treefrog has taken up daytime residence in a potted plant!  I found that out when I moved the pot, and - later that evening - got to watch the graceful leap to the patio wall, followed by a climb up the tree.  Frog was back in the pot this morning, so I put it back in the previous location.

mamselle

There must have been an insect hatch this AM, the edges of the river were popping with little explosions, followed by V-trails, on the surface.

I finally found a spot between the lower tree branches, the reflecting sunlight, and the quivery water where I could see the fish that were making all the ruckus.

It was murky, but a bit of the video may yet show them: 4-5 inches long, maybe 3/4" wide, whitish-grey--the right range for brokeback herring, but too swift to call for sure.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Saw a deer eating breakfast in someone's front yard on the way to the library

bacardiandlime

Quote from: hmaria1609 on May 24, 2022, 07:35:55 PM

I misread this as "saw a deer eating someone's breakfast" and immediately thought the deer was going to town on a bagel and a coffee.

ohnoes

Quote from: bacardiandlime on May 25, 2022, 02:03:25 AM

I misread this as "saw a deer eating someone's breakfast" and immediately thought the deer was going to town on a bagel and a coffee.

That's ridiculous.  They prefer doe-nuts - if buckwheat pancakes aren't available.

mamselle

This thread is doe-ling out more and more pun-ishment...

M.

apl68

Quote from: bacardiandlime on May 25, 2022, 02:03:25 AM

Not so funny to those who raise gardens that are decimated by deer.  I know somebody who has already experienced a good deal of deer damage this spring.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

FishProf

I have been teaching a summer wildlife biology class for nigh on two decades, and in that time we have NEVER caught a rabbit (despite working with one of the experts and putting out hundreds of traps).

Yesterday, two of my students and I hand-caught an [u=https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hpc9sbJQGIXzVLFa6C3TgZ7aJPTfgAxa/view?usp=sharing]eastern cottontail baby[/u].

Today, we caught a white footed mouse and I proceeded to show my students how NOT to hold wildlife.

1) Reach into trap, and corner critter.
2) firmly (but gently) hold critter and bring out of trap. 
3) Secure critter by scruff (if possible) or tail (if not)
4) If by tail, then scruff.
5) Do NOT allow critter to BITE at 1, or 2, or 3, or 4.

FAIL at 1, 2, 3, AND 4.  Little bugger even drew blood.

But HOW, you ask, surely you have students wear gloves and you do so as well?

Yes, and yes, usually.

Sometimes you best serve by being a bad example....

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Juvenal

Years back when I was teaching (?) a basic "Field Biology" course on campus, and we were in a micro-wood on campus, we (I) were (was) astonished to see--in this tiny plot--a hawk (ID not clear--probably Sharp-shinned) stoop down to the ground a few trees off and carry away (lunch date) what was likely a Short-tailed Shrew.  I'd (I've) never seen (since) a bird of prey take prey.  Bon appetite!
Cranky septuagenarian

mamselle

I saw a huge one swoop down and lift off with a rabbit once, bloody and dripping, just as I was coming up to the top of a historic knoll.

I also saw a smaller (red-tail, I think) pick up a chipmunk and take off with it. Slightly less bloody, but still...

Mixed feelings: Very interesting, nature red in tooth and claw (and beak) and all that....

On the other hand--I don't eat my lunch in front of them, I'd appreciate it if they'd return the favor...

M.

FishProf

Prior to the building of the fancy-schmancy "wellness center", I could see the rooftop of the old gym, where the red-tailed hawks would carry and devour their prey.  Good times.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

On the more hopeful side of the situation, six grey-beige goslings with their folks grazing by the riverside...they posed for a photo-op, then went back to selecting grass, blade by blade, as they'd been taught.

M.

sinenomine

Driving through a neighboring town early this morning, I was obliged to stop at a crosswalk by the library for a squirrel, which very carefully crossed on the painted lines. I had to chuckle!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."