Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catherder

Quote from: nebo113 on February 05, 2020, 06:21:15 AM
Quote from: Catherder on February 04, 2020, 03:02:09 PM
Before the property next to mine was sold and landscaped, there was an otters' burrow in the creek bank within sight of my desk.

In winter the young otters would play, sliding down the creek, and in summer they chased each other right under my window.

Sadly they are scarcer now.

Sad.

On the bright side, the new owner got a $10,000 CDN fine for destroying habitat. The creek and lake shore along his property belong to the local conservation authority.

nebo113

Quote from: backatit on February 05, 2020, 06:40:26 AM
That IS sad. I saw the herd of red deer at Fountains Abbey in Yorkshire on a hike this winter. That was the high point of my winter trip to visit family there. I saw a rather large herd at the barn the other day, too, though, which was cool. American deer are huge!

We have (basically) two kinds:  white tailed and mule.  Mule deer are larger.

nebo113

Quote from: Catherder on February 05, 2020, 06:44:43 AM
Quote from: nebo113 on February 05, 2020, 06:21:15 AM
Quote from: Catherder on February 04, 2020, 03:02:09 PM
Before the property next to mine was sold and landscaped, there was an otters' burrow in the creek bank within sight of my desk.

In winter the young otters would play, sliding down the creek, and in summer they chased each other right under my window.

Sadly they are scarcer now.

Sad.

On the bright side, the new owner got a $10,000 CDN fine for destroying habitat. The creek and lake shore along his property belong to the local conservation authority.

Karma!

mamselle

Yes, but will the otters come back?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Catherder

I just stopped my car to let a coyote cross the lane in front of my house--first one I've seen in a couple of years.

Catherder

Two young otters just trotted across the lawn to the lake.  And two handsome foxes are using the lawn as a throughway, and a place to case squirrels.

I repeat: spring just might have arrived.

mamselle

Glad some others are back.

But do two others a spring make?

;--}

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Thursday's_Child

Treefrogs are out and about around here.  One hopped across the patio the other evening and then scaled a brick wall (with some help from me when it got stuck at an apparently slippery spot near the top) and vanished into a tree.

mamselle

It's early for this but there are places near a large pond where the town sets out driving recommendation for times when the spring peepers have to cross the road for breeding purposes.

That earlier note was intended as "two otters" by the way. Auto-correct needs to be taken down a peg!

M.

nebo113

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on March 05, 2020, 10:26:17 AM
Treefrogs are out and about around here.  One hopped across the patio the other evening and then scaled a brick wall (with some help from me when it got stuck at an apparently slippery spot near the top) and vanished into a tree.

My good feel for the day!  Thanks!

paultuttle

We were walking in Greensboro's Revolutionary War battlefield park--along with lots of other people and their dogs--and saw a rather fast-moving young deer run across the road about 1.5 football fields ahead of us, very near some young women from one of the local colleges.

It was moving--sproing, sproing, sproing, and then gone into the newly green underbrush.

Parasaurolophus

Somebody saw a pod of orcas in one of the bays this morning. All I've seen are ducks, cormorants, and a couple seals.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Two signs of spring at the local wildlife refuge today-- the muskrats are back up and doing, and the redwing blackbirds are back.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

clean

The weeds in my front yard have already gone to seed.  The little seed pods follow very small,pretty little purple flowers. I made the mistake a few years ago of mowing them rather than pulling them and now I have to pull the weeds a few times in February and March just to keep them somewhat controlled the following year. I doubt that I will ever get on top of them again.
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

A No Dumping sign
The redbud bloom above it
Draws my gaze upward
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.