News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Cats brought in two (live and undamaged) alligator lizards.

Yesterday we sighted a few sea lions, a pile of seals, and a river otter.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

One of our cats has discovered the five-lined skinks who sun themselves on the outside window sills. She is entertained for hours- just watching them from inside, which is good for us, since she gets into so much trouble.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: ab_grp on April 21, 2020, 04:55:54 PM
Well, I just had my first rattlesnake sighting out here.  We were sitting on the back patio, when spouse said WTF is that! It was a rattlesnake (surprise!), right by the patio.  I hadn't even noticed it! He shot at it a few times with an air rifle and the thing did not even flinch at the very close misses.  He did manage to wing it, and it slithered off to the other side of the patio.  He then tried to smack it with a shovel as it made its way into the rosemary, but it started rattling and this is not the time for hospital visits.  Ack, it's gone now and will likely be back.  I periodically go through paranoia-driven checks of the patio, under the furniture, etc. when it gets warmer, but now I don't even want to go out there.

Just walk slowly and listen for the buzz - they don't want to get stepped on, so they'll warn you if you get close.
<ducks and runs away, fast!>

AmLitHist

A young doe ran across the interstate about 60 yards ahead of me early Saturday morning.  Traffic was light, but flashed my lights for oncoming cars. I slowed down and watched in my mirror to make sure she made it across all the lanes safely, and I saw her go into the woods on the far side of the road.

(We've had about 5" of rain in the past 10 days, so the creeks and bottoms are really high now.)

apl68

In the last couple of weeks I've found a remarkable number of squirrels flattened in the streets of my neighborhood.  Since the traffic has been less in the same weeks, I don't know why that would be.  The city has been cleaning up the remains fairly promptly, except for one mummified example.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Catherder

Yeek!  A mouse just ran across my floor and the cat was too lazy to chase it.  Time to bring out the peppermint oil and cotton balls.

apl68

Quote from: Catherder on May 05, 2020, 08:13:11 AM
Yeek!  A mouse just ran across my floor and the cat was too lazy to chase it.  Time to bring out the peppermint oil and cotton balls.

Or you could do what my brother did when we were kids.  He shot a mouse in the kitchen with a pellet gun.  It did the job.  He wasn't encouraged to do it again, though.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Catherder

Yeah, I accidentally killed the mouse. I shoved a heavy box against the wall not knowing the mouse was behind it.  I feel very bad about that. I usually catch them and release them in the field across the road.

evil_physics_witchcraft

It has been skink season over here. We have the five-lined skink and the broad-headded skink in this region and they have been known to sneak into the house when they're not sunning themselves on the sidewalk.

I actually caught one today, so the cat wouldn't kill it, and it bit me. Not surprised. I've been bitten before, doesn't really hurt, but it is surprising.

Parasaurolophus

T'other day, the sea lions were hunting herring. It was wonderful to watch.

I guess it's lizard season, because the cats are bringing 2-3 alligator lizards in every day now. They don't seem to harm them at all; they just grab them and bring them home to show us. The lizards appear entirely unharmed, apart from the occasional dropped tail. The red cat doesn't like it when they drop their tails, so he's perfected a technique for bringing in whole lizards: he stuff them into his mouth face-first, tail dangling out.

As far as I can tell, the lizards don't even have any puncture marks from the cats' teeth. Weird kitlets.
I know it's a genus.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 05, 2020, 02:46:24 PM
T'other day, the sea lions were hunting herring. It was wonderful to watch.

I guess it's lizard season, because the cats are bringing 2-3 alligator lizards in every day now. They don't seem to harm them at all; they just grab them and bring them home to show us. The lizards appear entirely unharmed, apart from the occasional dropped tail. The red cat doesn't like it when they drop their tails, so he's perfected a technique for bringing in whole lizards: he stuff them into his mouth face-first, tail dangling out.

As far as I can tell, the lizards don't even have any puncture marks from the cats' teeth. Weird kitlets.

Our kitties haven't gotten to that point and if they do- I don't trust them. One of them almost ate a cicada!

Puget

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 05, 2020, 09:26:58 PM
Our kitties haven't gotten to that point and if they do- I don't trust them. One of them almost ate a cicada!

Cicadas are apparently quite edible (for people too), and described as tasting like shrimp. As a vegetarian I won't partake, but would not begrudge the cats the opportunity to snack.

Question-- anyone have experience harness and leash training cats? I just got them for my two yearlings, who are very interested in the outside through screened windows but have never been outside for real. I'm not imagining walking down the street with them, just taking them in the backyard. I'm planning to start training indoors with treats. Any tips welcome!
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: Puget on May 06, 2020, 07:03:26 AM

Cicadas are apparently quite edible (for people too), and described as tasting like shrimp. As a vegetarian I won't partake, but would not begrudge the cats the opportunity to snack.

Question-- anyone have experience harness and leash training cats? I just got them for my two yearlings, who are very interested in the outside through screened windows but have never been outside for real. I'm not imagining walking down the street with them, just taking them in the backyard. I'm planning to start training indoors with treats. Any tips welcome!

Late great cat absolutely loved cicadas!  During summer he would sit outside in the evening waiting for them to emerge from the ground and munch them before they could even molt.

Puget, my limited experience with trying to harness-train a cat had typical results - cat froze, stared at me in horror, bunny hopped a bit, then fell over sideways and stayed there until I got bored and removed the harness.

Catherder

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on May 06, 2020, 07:58:45 AM
Quote from: Puget on May 06, 2020, 07:03:26 AM

Late great cat absolutely loved cicadas!  During summer he would sit outside in the evening waiting for them to emerge from the ground and munch them before they could even molt.

Puget, my limited experience with trying to harness-train a cat had typical results - cat froze, stared at me in horror, bunny hopped a bit, then fell over sideways and stayed there until I got bored and removed the harness.

Yup. Same experience here.

backatit

LOL, yes, actually I do have some experience, if only secondhand. My daughter worked for the animals shelter for quite some time that was dedicated to providing exceptional training opportunities for staff, and we have a cat (a very young one at the time) so she decided to practice on the cat. She used clicker training to teach her to sit, to jump up on things to get her food, etc. And finally, she taught her to walk on a leash so she could go outside. She loved it, and basically dragged us around the yard for as long as we'd tolerate it. We didn't get her to the point where she was truly leash-trained; you kind of went where she led (she is a CAT, after all, and not a dog, and her personality is different) but you could guide her where you wanted if you were patient and used clicks and rewards, and she got to where she was quite responsive.

I've known some cats who were braver than her (she's a timid personality) who would walk down the road, but we never attempted it with her, because she's a nervous cat, and would try to bolt if she were chased by a dog or such.