News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: backatit on May 06, 2020, 08:36:42 AM
She used clicker training to teach her to sit, to jump up on things to get her food, etc. And finally, she taught her to walk on a leash so she could go outside. She loved it, and basically dragged us around the yard for as long as we'd tolerate it. We didn't get her to the point where she was truly leash-trained; you kind of went where she led (she is a CAT, after all, and not a dog, and her personality is different) but you could guide her where you wanted if you were patient and used clicks and rewards, and she got to where she was quite responsive.

We did the exact same thing with our red cat. He tolerates the vest and leash (it took some trial and error to find a vest he was comfortable with), and does pretty OK with it all, especially when goaded with treats. He slinks around a little weird with the vest on, but he doesn't mind it much.

He's a total outdoor cat, however, so he doesn't get the vest and leash treatment often; mostly when he's been confined indoors for a while due to illness.

He knows, like, twentyish tricks, however!
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: Puget on May 06, 2020, 07:03:26 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 05, 2020, 09:26:58 PM
Our kitties haven't gotten to that point and if they do- I don't trust them. One of them almost ate a cicada!

Cicadas are apparently quite edible (for people too), and described as tasting like shrimp. As a vegetarian I won't partake, but would not begrudge the cats the opportunity to snack.

Some dogs too.  I know of a Chihuahua that used to crunch down the occasional cicada during cicada season.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

clean

The 13/17 year cicadas come out together in part as a survival mechanism.  They taste good to those critters that eat them, so one way to deal with that is to all come out together and let the predators eat so many that they become satiated .  Let them eat so many that they never want to eat another one again!

(In graduate school, I cooked a turkey every term, cut it into packages and ate turkey several times a week.  I have been out of graduate school for 20 years now, and I no longer even like the smell of a turkey cooking!  I am more than happy to eat it for Thanksgiving, and not again for the rest of the year!  I think that the same applies to cicadas.  Let them eat all they want,so that the later emergents  wont be bothered.   
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on May 06, 2020, 07:03:26 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 05, 2020, 09:26:58 PM
Our kitties haven't gotten to that point and if they do- I don't trust them. One of them almost ate a cicada!

Cicadas are apparently quite edible (for people too), and described as tasting like shrimp. As a vegetarian I won't partake, but would not begrudge the cats the opportunity to snack.

Question-- anyone have experience harness and leash training cats? I just got them for my two yearlings, who are very interested in the outside through screened windows but have never been outside for real. I'm not imagining walking down the street with them, just taking them in the backyard. I'm planning to start training indoors with treats. Any tips welcome!

My suggestion is to start them young! We started evil cat when she was probably two months old. She doesn't go on full fledged walks, like most canines, but she has no problem being on a harness and being outside. She'll even want to walk around (inside) the house on it!

evil_physics_witchcraft

LOL, yes, actually I do have some experience, if only secondhand. My daughter worked for the animals shelter for quite some time that was dedicated to providing exceptional training opportunities for staff, and we have a cat (a very young one at the time) so she decided to practice on the cat. She used clicker training to teach her to sit, to jump up on things to get her food, etc. And finally, she taught her to walk on a leash so she could go outside. She loved it, and basically dragged us around the yard for as long as we'd tolerate it. We didn't get her to the point where she was truly leash-trained; you kind of went where she led (she is a CAT, after all, and not a dog, and her personality is different) but you could guide her where you wanted if you were patient and used clicks and rewards, and she got to where she was quite responsive.

I've known some cats who were braver than her (she's a timid personality) who would walk down the road, but we never attempted it with her, because she's a nervous cat, and would try to bolt if she were chased by a dog or such.
Evil cat is somewhat of a scaredy-cat, the oddest things set her off. She will lead us on the leash/harness combo and can pull me around a bit.

Puget

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 06, 2020, 03:33:26 PM
LOL, yes, actually I do have some experience, if only secondhand. My daughter worked for the animals shelter for quite some time that was dedicated to providing exceptional training opportunities for staff, and we have a cat (a very young one at the time) so she decided to practice on the cat. She used clicker training to teach her to sit, to jump up on things to get her food, etc. And finally, she taught her to walk on a leash so she could go outside. She loved it, and basically dragged us around the yard for as long as we'd tolerate it. We didn't get her to the point where she was truly leash-trained; you kind of went where she led (she is a CAT, after all, and not a dog, and her personality is different) but you could guide her where you wanted if you were patient and used clicks and rewards, and she got to where she was quite responsive.

I've known some cats who were braver than her (she's a timid personality) who would walk down the road, but we never attempted it with her, because she's a nervous cat, and would try to bolt if she were chased by a dog or such.
Evil cat is somewhat of a scaredy-cat, the oddest things set her off. She will lead us on the leash/harness combo and can pull me around a bit.

Thanks for all the comments-- I guess I should have posted on the herding cats threat so as not to derail this one, though I suppose "fauna and other natural things" includes cats. . . Our first indoor habituation session this evening went better than expected. There was some flopping and attempts at escape at first, but I immediately gave them catnip and lots of attention and they adjusted pretty rapidly. Little calico girl played with the wand toy and even went to get a snack after awhile, and her brother the big panther boy climbed the play structure for more catnip. We'll see what reserving catnip for only harness on time will buy us.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

backatit

Quote from: Puget on May 06, 2020, 05:03:18 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 06, 2020, 03:33:26 PM

Thanks for all the comments-- I guess I should have posted on the herding cats threat so as not to derail this one, though I suppose "fauna and other natural things" includes cats. . . Our first indoor habituation session this evening went better than expected. There was some flopping and attempts at escape at first, but I immediately gave them catnip and lots of attention and they adjusted pretty rapidly. Little calico girl played with the wand toy and even went to get a snack after awhile, and her brother the big panther boy climbed the play structure for more catnip. We'll see what reserving catnip for only harness on time will buy us.

Or give her catnip and chicken, when she calms down. Calm, even for a moment? Here's a piece of chicken. It works pretty well for most animals (including me!)

Parasaurolophus

Oh! Oh! The flying ants are swarming today!
I know it's a genus.

aside

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 08, 2020, 12:55:01 PM
Oh! Oh! The flying ants are swarming today!

As long as it's not the flying monkeys ...

Parasaurolophus

I saw a whale tonight! Pretty close to shore. Minke, I think.

Seals and sea lions and an owl, too. But! A whale!
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Morning walk: Cottontail, 2 deer, Ducks, Geese, muskrat, woodchuck, Squirrels (grey and Red), chipmunk, Cardinal, Oriole.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Thursday's_Child

I saw a cottontail this morning, too.  It hopped away at a reasonable speed after I made the cat put it down...

FishProf

hmaria1609

Saw 6 squirrels enjoying breakfast from the bird feeder in the front yard at a neighbor's house. I've never seen so many squirrels at one time like that!

FishProf

Watched (safely from a 3rd floor window) a striped skunk digging for grubs in my (newly planted) lawn at midnight.