News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

namazu

Quote from: FishProf on May 13, 2020, 02:42:44 AM
Watched (safely from a 3rd floor window) a striped skunk digging for grubs in my (newly planted) lawn at midnight.

"The skunk grubs at midnight..." sounds like code for something, but I'm not sure what.  :)

Our chipmunks have been very active lately. 

The barred owlets on the Cornell/Wild Birds Unlimited webcam [nest box interior view | exterior view] are close to fledging.

mamselle

Sounds like a song I remember...have to tinker with the scansion a bit...

It on'-ly comes out at mid-night'
It's a striped and ruffly sight,
And it can do what few can do
If it doesn't want you--right!

Grubs on the platter....
it's a beautiful thing,
but the scents it brings
Can smart....

Ohh-hh, here it comes,
Watch out, now, its tail is u--u-p
Ohh-hh, here it comes,
It's the grub-eater..."

Well, anyway....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 13, 2020, 10:01:21 PM
That was awesome, Mamselle.

Potential Posting Hall of Fame material, except you'd have to include context!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

FishProf

Quote from: mamselle on May 13, 2020, 06:14:24 PM
Sounds like a song I remember...have to tinker with the scansion a bit...

It on'-ly comes out at mid-night'
It's a striped and ruffly sight,
And it can do what few can do
If it doesn't want you--right!

Grubs on the platter....
it's a beautiful thing,
but the scents it brings
Can smart....

Ohh-hh, here it comes,
Watch out, now, its tail is u--u-p
Ohh-hh, here it comes,
It's the grub-eater..."

Well, anyway....

M.

Oh I wouldn't if I were you,
I know what it can do,
It'll blind your eyes,
with way worse than a fa-a-art,

She's a grub-eater...
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

clean

Fox Squirrels

https://www.outdooralabama.com/rodents/fox-squirrel

I was discussing squirrels with my friend in Canada and I mentioned that Fox Squirrels can weigh up to 2 pounds.  He had never seen one
I have only seen them a few times. I know I saw some in Florida when I had a hunting lease.

I think that I saw one when I lived in SC.

What about you?  Do you have them in your neighborhood (however broadly we define that?)

The link I posted is the markings I am familiar with.  Are the colors different where you are?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Catherder

No fox squirrels here in central Ontario, but one odd looking fox runs down the lane every day around 6 PM--his tail is either bare of fur or wet with something. And he is big and skinny.

Also 3 maybe 4 beavers are swimming around the mouth of the creek next to my house. One year they cleared all the fallen branches from my lawn.  I'm kind of hoping to see them do that again, unless they use the branches to dam the culvert.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I caught another blue-tailed skink to keep it away from Evil cat again. I wonder if it's the same skink? It also bit me.

apl68

I never saw fox squirrels until I moved to my current town.  I've seen them a number of times here, mainly in the city park. 
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

namazu

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 15, 2020, 02:34:37 PM
I caught another blue-tailed skink to keep it away from Evil cat again. I wonder if it's the same skink? It also bit me.
Such ingrates!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: namazu on May 15, 2020, 03:21:32 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 15, 2020, 02:34:37 PM
Such ingrates!

It doesn't really hurt. I'm sure I scared the absolute bejeezus out of it and that's why it bit me. Rather it bite me than have the cat eat it.

Interestingly enough, I also saw an adult skink foraging for bugs yesterday. Their movements are so jerky- reminds me of an old stop-motion film.

spork

My backyard is being invaded by ISIS terrorist bunnies. Yesterday evening three of them arrived in a pack while I was standing on the back porch. I chased them all under the fence. Not ten minutes later a fourth wandered in and went straight to an ornamental plant. I chased that one in a circle around the yard, up my driveway, and across the neighbor's front lawn. My neighbors' houses are too close for me to buy a gun and legally shoot them. Otherwise I think I'd be putting rabbit meat in the freezer.

A pair of mourning doves decided that a wandering jew in a basket hanging on the back porch would make a great place for a nest. I haven't yet decided whether to evict them.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

backatit

Quote from: clean on May 15, 2020, 02:00:36 PM
Fox Squirrels

https://www.outdooralabama.com/rodents/fox-squirrel

I was discussing squirrels with my friend in Canada and I mentioned that Fox Squirrels can weigh up to 2 pounds.  He had never seen one
I have only seen them a few times. I know I saw some in Florida when I had a hunting lease.

I think that I saw one when I lived in SC.

What about you?  Do you have them in your neighborhood (however broadly we define that?)

The link I posted is the markings I am familiar with.  Are the colors different where you are?

We used to have quite a few of them but they are getting rarer here. A friend who is a wildlife rehabber just got one in that had been hit on the road, so there are still aa few around, but not like there used to be. I love them - they are the big galoots of the squirrel family!