News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Quote from: spork on May 17, 2020, 02:30:49 PM
My backyard is being invaded by ISIS terrorist bunnies. Yesterday evening three of them arrived in a pack while I was standing on the back porch. I chased them all under the fence. Not ten minutes later a fourth wandered in and went straight to an ornamental plant. I chased that one in a circle around the yard, up my driveway, and across the neighbor's front lawn. My neighbors' houses are too close for me to buy a gun and legally shoot them. Otherwise I think I'd be putting rabbit meat in the freezer.

A pair of mourning doves decided that a wandering jew in a basket hanging on the back porch would make a great place for a nest. I haven't yet decided whether to evict them.

On the bright side, you're getting plenty of exercise.

apl68

Early this morning
I robbed my gardenia bush
The house now smells sweet
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

evil_physics_witchcraft

Gardenias have such a deep pungent scent.

clean

Where are the Cicadas this year?

have they started to emerge?

My travel bucket list includes 2 bug tourist spots. I want to see the synchronous fireflies in the smokey mountain national park.
I want to be a travel geek tourist and visit the cicadas of the different broods and follow like a rock star!  (I may need a motor home in my early retirement... IF I can afford a motor home in early retirement!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

nebo113

Quote from: apl68 on May 19, 2020, 07:14:37 AM
Early this morning
I robbed my gardenia bush
The house now smells sweet

We had gardenias just outside the front door when I was growing up.  Scent reminds me of death, though I have no idea why.

apl68

Right now the gardenia bush is being so generous I even have them in my office.  It's great!

If only Baka-inu next door didn't make such a fuss every time I go over to that end of the yard to gather some blossoms.

FishProf

Out scouting a site for my ornithology class and saw a beaver (a big 'un too!).

And birds.  Lots of birds.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Quote from: FishProf on May 21, 2020, 12:52:28 PM
Out scouting a site for my ornithology class and saw a beaver (a big 'un too!).

And birds.  Lots of birds.

Hurry up and enjoy those trees, birds, before the beavers gnaw them down.

Seriously, I visited a state park in Tennessee once where the beavers had demolished the timber.  Judging from the size of some of those beaver cuts, the beavers must have been monsters.

namazu

Quote from: clean on May 19, 2020, 11:31:16 AM
Where are the Cicadas this year?
have they started to emerge?
https://www.cicadamania.com/

This year, look for Brood IX in parts of WV, VA, and NC.
https://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/brood-ix-9-will-emerge-in-2020-in-north-carolina-virginia-and-west-virginia/

Quote from: cleanMy travel bucket list includes 2 bug tourist spots. I want to see the synchronous fireflies in the smokey mountain national park.
Me, too.  Also, the oyamel fir forests in Mexico where the monarchs overwinter, before they're gone.

Thursday's_Child

It was an exciting afternoon in the backyard yesterday.  I saw three separate predators - a cat (not mine - I made sure it saw me and had a good head start before letting the dog out to send it over the fence and encourage it to stay there), a Cooper's hawk, and a half-grown bullfrog (it wasn't in the pond this morning - must not have liked being caught, checked over for large lumps in its stomach, and lectured about it's dining preferences...) - each fail to catch a bird.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on May 25, 2020, 09:18:30 AM
It was an exciting afternoon in the backyard yesterday.  I saw three separate predators - a cat (not mine - I made sure it saw me and had a good head start before letting the dog out to send it over the fence and encourage it to stay there), a Cooper's hawk, and a half-grown bullfrog (it wasn't in the pond this morning - must not have liked being caught, checked over for large lumps in its stomach, and lectured about it's dining preferences...) - each fail to catch a bird.

I did not know that bullfrogs ate birds.

apl68

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on May 25, 2020, 10:07:00 AM
Quote from: Thursday's_Child on May 25, 2020, 09:18:30 AM

I did not know that bullfrogs ate birds.

They evidently will eat just about anything that they can swallow.  They've even been known to eat small snakes, baby alligators, and smaller frogs.

mamselle

This brings the complementary picture of Baby Yoda swallowing a frog whole.."Gulp!" (...and looking up pleased, as if having accomplished something)...to mind.

Things do eat the oddest other things.

OK, back to Earth...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Walking down the street
I pass a small debris field
A most unlucky squirrel

Catherder

Working at my desk I looked up to see a bumble bee the size of my thumb banging against the outside of my window--maybe a foot from my face. The next time I looked up the same monstrous bee was on the inside of the same window.

I can't figure out how he did that--checked all my screens and doors.  But I caught him in a plastic cup and released him on the other side of the house. I hope he's grateful enough not to enter again.