News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

I think I just caught a glimpse of a golden eagle flying by the house--just as the smallest cat was bringing home a (live, unharmed) alligator lizard.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 27, 2020, 02:45:46 PM
I think I just caught a glimpse of a golden eagle flying by the house--just as the smallest cat was bringing home a (live, unharmed) alligator lizard.

Wow! as to the bird!

Re: The continued arrival of (living) alligator lizards: it seems as if your pet wants a pet.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paultuttle

The chipmunk living in the back and side yards has obviously decided that it's safe to play on our front porch during the day, given that we haven't gone outside much during the pandemic lockdown.

nebo113

Dog meets racoon around 4:30 this morning.  I forgot to bring in the bird feeder and the critter was on the porch railing when I let dog out.  Dog had a wonderful time running back and forth, barking madly, and just generally letting the racoon know who was really the boss.  Critter exited gracefully, without a backward glance.  Bird seed gone.

Catherder

A raccoon we named "Sneak" is the reason I no longer have bird feeders. I have a photo of his last pillaging, but I can't remember how to upload it to the Fora.

mamselle

Create a Photobucket account in your fora name, then post links to your uploads.

Looking forward to seeing that!

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Catherder

Having trouble getting rid of unwanted info.

mamselle

Quote from: Catherder on June 01, 2020, 08:47:32 AM

Having trouble getting rid of unwanted info.

Some things you can make up and they'll take it.

You can also "invent" a new gmail account if they're asking for that.

No-one will know.

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I plan to work in the backyard today. We have a mulberry tree that has made babies (which, unfortunately, need to be removed since it's so crowded back there). I was also toying with the idea of trying to pot them and give them away- but who would want them? I can hardly get any of the berries since the squirrels seem to enjoy eating them. The funny thing about this mulberry tree is that it is what I call a 'bird-poop' plant. I didn't plant the tree, so the only other reason for its existence is that a bird, or squirrel (or other animal), pooped out the seed and it grew.

There are plenty of bushes, shrubs, etc. to prune- lots to weed. The gardenia bushes are blooming, so there is a wonderful scent in the air. Wineberries are starting to produce, though we probably have another 2-3 weeks. Blueberries are also getting ready to ripen.

I need something to relax me, so communing with Nature is it!

mamselle

Get some silk worms....

That's probably how the tree got there to begin with.

They (or their fecund ancestors) were brought to the US in the 18th-19th c.s to start sericulture programs.

Some worked, some didn't, but the trees stuck around. .

M.

Catherder

A mink! (I think) just ran by with something in its mouth--too fast for me to see what.

mamselle

A mink
I think
At least
Won't stink.

(with apologies to Ogden Nash.)

m.

namazu

FishProf

Anal glands
in the Carnivora
All stink to some degree
Weasels and skunk are by far worst
But dogs and cats? Also awful,
When they spray - that isn't pee!

And others of the meat-ivorous clan
Seals, Hyaenas, Red pandas too
Also have their glands to share
But in the biggest and baddest
Smell won't typically matter
It's the least thing to fear from a bear!
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Wrong, I was.

Apologize, I do.

Thy poem, FishProf,

Hast best ring true.

M.