News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

I interrupted some potential box turtle sex when I stumbled upon them both under a gardenia bush in my backyard. Of course, I had to examine them (channeling Gerald Durrell). Pretty sure one was male (concave underside) and the other was female (flat underside). They both hissed at me, I put them back and went on my way.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

In other turtle news, I came across a tiny baby snapping turtle (size of a silver dollar) in the middle of the multi-use path along the river, and concluding that it was unlikely to safely make the transit without getting run over by a bike, transported it to the edge of the water. It withdrew into its shell during this  experience, but I'm counting on its tiny reptilian brain to protect it from traumatic memories of teleportation.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on September 14, 2020, 04:16:12 PM
You prurient philistine, you.

M.

:O

Well, it was potential coitus. Or, maybe after the fact. No idea.

nebo113

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on September 14, 2020, 05:00:20 PM

M.

Did you detect the tangy aroma of Lucky Strikes?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: nebo113 on September 16, 2020, 05:45:36 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on September 14, 2020, 05:00:20 PM

M.

Did you detect the tangy aroma of Lucky Strikes?

Hahaha!

Nope. They were gone the next day. I live in a suburban/country/rural area (lots of woods interspersed between neighborhoods) so I'm often treated to wildlife romping through backyards or roaming down the neighborhood streets.

mamselle

And some of them even have four legs.

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on September 16, 2020, 08:47:28 PM
And some of them even have four legs.

;--}

M.

Ha!

We've had neighbors see coyotes (I haven't seen any), but it's really not that rare to see them. They've been sighted downtown. Anyway, I've seen deer roam through the back yard, down the street, etc. I've seen deer remains on the side of the main road (not in the neighborhood) during hunting season (ew). Plenty of hawks and owls out here (an owl swooped over my head one night- very cool). I also rescued a barred owl on the side of the road (was hit by a car) a few years ago and took it to a wildlife rehabilitation place. That happened during rush hour when I was on the way to give a final exam.

We have lots of songbirds (cardinals, titmice, chickadees, Carolina wrens, woodpeckers, flickers, thrashers, finches, sparrows, goldfinches, blue birds, etc. , reptiles (Carolina anoles, blue-tailed skinks), amphibians (usually tree frogs), feral cats, squirrels, chipmunks, probably some voles, and...
I think I'll stop here.

Edit: I forgot to mention the insects and snakes! Copperheads!

Morden

This morning I almost walked right into a bobcat kitten in our backyard when I popped out of the backdoor. Later I watched mom and three kittens enjoy the morning--Mom snoozing, kitten #1 having a delightful time throwing a dead squirrel around, kitten #2 desperately trying to steal the squirrel, and kitten #3 (much smaller than the other two) hanging back and watching. Also watching were a lot of unhappy crows and magpies.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Morden on September 24, 2020, 02:45:26 PM
This morning I almost walked right into a bobcat kitten in our backyard when I popped out of the backdoor. Later I watched mom and three kittens enjoy the morning--Mom snoozing, kitten #1 having a delightful time throwing a dead squirrel around, kitten #2 desperately trying to steal the squirrel, and kitten #3 (much smaller than the other two) hanging back and watching. Also watching were a lot of unhappy crows and magpies.

Their version of 'kick the can?' Sorry, that was inappropriate.

nebo113

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on September 24, 2020, 02:56:17 PM

Still giggling over Kick the Can.  THANKS!!!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: nebo113 on September 25, 2020, 05:47:52 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on September 24, 2020, 02:56:17 PM

Still giggling over Kick the Can.  THANKS!!!

I know. Horrible. My sense of humor has always been a bit morbid.

Catherder

There's a young fox in my yard eating fallen cherries.

And ugh! a dead bird for dessert,

FishProf

Quote from: Catherder on September 25, 2020, 09:31:22 AM
There's a young fox in my yard eating fallen cherries.

And ugh! a dead bird for dessert,

Well, that took a tern for the worse....
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Catherder

Yeah, but I give him credit for wearing a mask.