News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paultuttle

Quote from: Catherder on September 25, 2020, 12:35:01 PM
Yeah, but I give him credit for wearing a mask.

You aren't wrong, I'll give you that.

sinenomine

I'm taking care of a small farm for a month or so. Last night I watched a blue heron fly over the pastures, and this morning as I walked out of the barn, I was greeted by three deer. A few days ago a golden eagle was hanging around.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

apl68

Quote from: Morden on September 24, 2020, 02:45:26 PM
This morning I almost walked right into a bobcat kitten in our backyard when I popped out of the backdoor. Later I watched mom and three kittens enjoy the morning--Mom snoozing, kitten #1 having a delightful time throwing a dead squirrel around, kitten #2 desperately trying to steal the squirrel, and kitten #3 (much smaller than the other two) hanging back and watching. Also watching were a lot of unhappy crows and magpies.

Wow!  Mom and Dad are impressed by a recent game camera picture of a bobcat on the back section of their property.  Your encounter was much closer.

All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Catherder

I have a moral problem throwing out food, so when I have stale bread, donuts or fruit past its prime I cut things into chunks and put them on the back lawn.  They are always gone overnight but until last night I never saw the beneficiaries.  Insomnia had me looking out at 1 AM.

A porcupine and a raccoon were checking out my refuse site--nothing there however.

ab_grp

Youngest daughter apparently had a stowaway under her vehicle when she came home from the grocery store.  When she got home, her granddad saw something hanging from the undercarriage.  It was a squirrel, dropped to the ground and limped away to the sidewalk and collapsed.  Poor guy was probably white-knuckling it the whole way home.  After a few minutes, he got up and moved away from the scene, presumably to try to catch a ride back using safer means of transportation.

apl68

Quote from: ab_grp on September 28, 2020, 08:52:38 AM
Youngest daughter apparently had a stowaway under her vehicle when she came home from the grocery store.  When she got home, her granddad saw something hanging from the undercarriage.  It was a squirrel, dropped to the ground and limped away to the sidewalk and collapsed.  Poor guy was probably white-knuckling it the whole way home.  After a few minutes, he got up and moved away from the scene, presumably to try to catch a ride back using safer means of transportation.

Sounds like somebody I knew years ago who learned that the big "leaf" that had been wrapped around her car's antenna during the long drive into work was actually a dazed bat.  Must have been a terrifying experience for the poor thing.

ab_grp

Quote from: apl68 on September 28, 2020, 09:29:05 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on September 28, 2020, 08:52:38 AM

Sounds like somebody I knew years ago who learned that the big "leaf" that had been wrapped around her car's antenna during the long drive into work was actually a dazed bat.  Must have been a terrifying experience for the poor thing.

I would not have wanted to be the bat or the person who discovered the bat!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 29, 2020, 04:45:35 PM
Nother dead garter snake today.

And again. Poor loves. Why are they all out and about now? It's not even warm.
I know it's a genus.

nebo113

Recently, my cousin and his helper were cutting down a dead tree on my property when I heard a brouhaha.  I rushed out, ready to diall 911.....but garter snakes had housed themselves between the bark and the tree trunk and come sprawling out, much to the consternation of the hewers.

FishProf

I was mowing the back 40 on Saturday and came out of the brush to find a Red0-tailed hawk on the ground scarfing a mouse.

Hawk gave me a look like 'sup?  I stopped, turned off the mower and just got to watch from <10 feet away for about 5min.

Then, Hawk ran/flapped up the slope of the septic field, and watched me carry on.  Totally unruffled.

So cool.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Our pastor's wife saw a bear amble by near their house a couple of days ago.

nebo113

Quote from: FishProf on October 05, 2020, 05:59:20 AM
I was mowing the back 40 on Saturday and came out of the brush to find a Red0-tailed hawk on the ground scarfing a mouse.

Hawk gave me a look like 'sup?  I stopped, turned off the mower and just got to watch from <10 feet away for about 5min.

Then, Hawk ran/flapped up the slope of the septic field, and watched me carry on.  Totally unruffled.

So cool.

Would you post this in "Look A Bird"  thread, too??

FishProf

Quote from: nebo113 on October 06, 2020, 12:35:21 PM
Quote from: FishProf on October 05, 2020, 05:59:20 AM

So cool.

Would you post this in "Look A Bird"  thread, too??

Done
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Catherder

A critter (unknown) dug up a 7ft by 7ft section of my back lawn last night, leaving dozens of small piles of dirt.