News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Salamanders were said to be able to do that (as well as walk through fire, per some medieval legends); I didn't know other critters could (well, except starfish).

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Most lizards can drop their tails when threatened, and most of them can regrow them.    Bearded dragons can lose and regrow, crested geckoes drop but do not regrow, and Komodo dragons don't do either.

And sea cucumbers can lose their internal organs (evisceration) and regrow them.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on October 13, 2020, 09:14:14 AM
Most lizards can drop their tails when threatened, and most of them can regrow them.    Bearded dragons can lose and regrow, crested geckoes drop but do not regrow, and Komodo dragons don't do either.

And sea cucumbers can lose their internal organs (evisceration) and regrow them.

Neat! I'm so glad I have an ordinary anus.

FishProf

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on October 13, 2020, 09:39:22 AM
Confirmed: Uranus Smells Like Farts

Because I am 12....

True.

"...astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all.."

https://theinfosphere.org/Urectum

We also love the 'True Facts' series. Here's one that's thread appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADrBo7u3tR4

apl68

Quote from: FishProf on October 13, 2020, 09:14:14 AM

Komodo dragons don't have to worry too much about anything grabbing them by the tail. in the first place...
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

FishProf

Quote from: apl68 on October 13, 2020, 01:27:54 PM
Komodo dragons don't have to worry too much about anything grabbing them by the tail. in the first place...

Yes, they do.  Other KDs.  That's why dropping a tail doesn't make sense.  They regularly get into tussles.

Also, regrowing a 70kg tail is no mean feat.

apl68

Quote from: FishProf on October 13, 2020, 04:03:12 PM
Quote from: apl68 on October 13, 2020, 01:27:54 PM

Yes, they do.  Other KDs.  That's why dropping a tail doesn't make sense.  They regularly get into tussles.

Also, regrowing a 70kg tail is no mean feat.

Well, I was thinking in terms of their not having to worry about predators.  I'd hate to see the cat that could grab a Komodo dragon by the tail!
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

FishProf

Florida panthers kill and eat comparably sized alligators.

Although they don't grab them by the tail...

apl68

Quote from: FishProf on October 14, 2020, 07:47:46 AM
Florida panthers kill and eat comparably sized alligators.

Although they don't grab them by the tail...

Did not know that Florida panthers had a taste for gator meat.  You learn something new every day!

FishProf

I suspect that the ""Jagulars dropping from trees" in Winnie the Pooh is a reference to panthers (a.k.a. Jaguar, Cougar, Catamount, Painter, etc etc) dropping on 'gators from above.

apl68

FishProf

First they cry "Halp Halp" to get you to look up.  THEN they drop.

clean

QuoteJagulars go for the jugular.

That probably comes as a relief for the jugglers that hang out at the carnivals or those attending Ringling College (in Sarasota, Fl).

(However, I had not before thought about the natural predator of jugglers... what keeps them from taking over the world?)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

FishProf

Jagulars also won't eat clowns.

They taste funny.