News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

Quote from: downer on June 08, 2021, 06:01:01 AM
I stopped mowing it about a year ago. I mow around next to the fences, so the neighbors will have fewer concerns. It seems to have all sorts of different grasses in it. I do nothing to it.

Thanks.  If mine looked like a meadow, I wouldn't do anything to it, either.  Unfortunately, it is simply unsightly.  I leave mowing in the spring to very, very late because of bees.

downer

Quote from: nebo113 on June 09, 2021, 06:49:03 AM
Quote from: downer on June 08, 2021, 06:01:01 AM
I stopped mowing it about a year ago. I mow around next to the fences, so the neighbors will have fewer concerns. It seems to have all sorts of different grasses in it. I do nothing to it.

Thanks.  If mine looked like a meadow, I wouldn't do anything to it, either.  Unfortunately, it is simply unsightly.  I leave mowing in the spring to very, very late because of bees.

It might be a bit like men growing in a beard: there's a transitional phase where it doesn't look so great, but if you wait, it fills out.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

^Unrelated.

The birds and other critters (like the upstairs folks' dog) all started making noise a bit after 5 this AM.

I was up, reading and eating, but I didn't think to look outside.

Th3 birds usually start up at 4 AM (as verified from both ends of the candle under various circumstances). 

The doggie takes it into its head to yap anytime a raccoon, a squirrel, or a piece of paper blows through the yard.

So it wasn't until I was dressing for my every-other-AM walk (New! Recommended!) that I realized it was probably the halo eclipse that had stirred them, and I'd missed it.

Sic transit Solaris...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paultuttle

Reviving this to say that a little tiny bunny baby has decided to enjoy the flowering clover at the top of the driveway ramp every lunchtime and evening.

(I know this because said bunny baby has been nibbling on it nearly every time I've returned home from an errand this past week.)

Hold out your hand. Now imagine a little fluffy animal fitting into your palm. That's the size of that tiny little bunny.

I'm glad that it at least knows to run like hell when I honk my horn--though weirdly, it doesn't move AT ALL until I do that.

mamselle

We have a film of me, age 3, holding a tiny little long-eared critter like that and being shown how to pet it carefully.

They're heart-melting, yes.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ciao_yall

Okay, kind of random addition but I was just remembering that up until the age of 6 I clearly remembered having seen dinosaurs at the zoo when I had been 3 or 4.

Yep. They were huge. A brontosaurus, most likely. Biggest things I had ever seen in my life. They were a bit far away. There was a little old lady standing next to me at the zoo, saying "marvelous." Very vivid.

When I learned they were extinct and there was no way I could have seen them in real life I was rather puzzled. "But..." Was it a dream? Most likely. But it was so.... real! And why would I have dreamt something like that?

namazu

Quote from: ciao_yall on June 29, 2021, 07:35:43 PM
Okay, kind of random addition but I was just remembering that up until the age of 6 I clearly remembered having seen dinosaurs at the zoo when I had been 3 or 4.

Yep. They were huge. A brontosaurus, most likely. Biggest things I had ever seen in my life. They were a bit far away. There was a little old lady standing next to me at the zoo, saying "marvelous." Very vivid.

When I learned they were extinct and there was no way I could have seen them in real life I was rather puzzled. "But..." Was it a dream? Most likely. But it was so.... real! And why would I have dreamt something like that?
Giraffes?

apl68

Quote from: namazu on June 30, 2021, 05:02:04 AM
Quote from: ciao_yall on June 29, 2021, 07:35:43 PM

Giraffes?

We once had a staff member who took her little girl to the zoo and could not convince her that the dromedary camel wasn't a dinosaur.  They're bigger up close than people often expect them to be.  To a child they must seem absolutely enormous.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Either that, or you're one of the lucky few who got to see Jurassic Park before the...unfortunate incidents shut them down.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Morden

QuoteI clearly remembered having seen dinosaurs at the zoo when I had been 3 or 4.
Would you have been at the Calgary Zoo, by any chance? They have dinosaurs.

Catherder

So does the Alberta legislature.

clean

my earliest memories are from when I was very young.  We lived in a mobile home across the street from the Ocean in what was then fairly rural Florida.  i remember crabs as big as footballs.  They were blue land crabs, and I suppose that the footballs I remember were the footballs you would give a 3 year old!  (they would get under my peddle car). 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

hmaria1609

Saw a trio of rabbits having dinner (of grass) in our neighbor's yard earlier this evening. I had to snap a pic on my iPhone!

Parasaurolophus

Went to the beach today and saw tens of thousands of dead mussels all washed up in a row along the high tide mark. Must be part of the post-heat-wave die-off here, which is estimated to have killed more than a billion of them. It was pretty horrifying.

And I saw a bald eagle, too.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

This morning a saw a tiny lizard trying to dash inside the building through the staff entrance in back.  As inside is not a safe environment for a lizard (And their presence tends to cause a certain amount of hysteria among staff members and patrons), I put my foot down to try to head it off and herd it back outside.  Instead I accidentally killed the poor little thing!  It makes for a sad start to a workday on what was already a very dreary day out.