Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on August 17, 2021, 09:02:37 AM
It stung you?

I didn't know they did that.

But yeah, they're cool....I found one once and took it home to release in my garden.

I figured it would eat stuff I didn't want....saw it a day later but not after that.

I hope something else didn't eat it, but I suspect it did.

M.

Sorry, I meant to say that some wasps stung me yesterday and finding that huge mantis (which I put in my garden) soothed the stings a little.

apl68

Meanwhile, in North Little Rock an 85-pound tortoise has escaped from her home, been recaptured--and escaped again!

QuoteAn 85-pound African spurred tortoise that escaped from her owner's backyard in North Little Rock on Thursday has been found.

Chelsea Hattaway said a neighbor who lives half a mile away called on Sunday after reading a newspaper article about Potato, her 14-year-old tortoise, being on the lam.The neighbor found Potato trying to cross the Young Road overpass over Interstate 40. He kept the tortoise in a shed for a couple of days before realizing who the owner was.

"She ate two watermelons while she was there," said Hattaway.

Hattaway said Potato escaped on Thursday by pushing through a gate that was loosely padlocked.

After being returned on Sunday, Potato did it again, pushing her way through another backyard gate that was supposed to be tied shut.

"We are looking now at replacing our entire fencing operations," said Hattaway.

More at:

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2021/aug/17/85-pound-african-tortoise-makes-a-run-for-it/?news

She was found the second time on the side of Interstate 40, stopping traffic.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

apl68

Joy in the evening
Fireflies sparking here and there
Even as it rains

apl68

While I walk along
A crunching beneath my foot
A spent cicada

evil_physics_witchcraft

Has anyone ever eaten Creeping Cucumber (Melothria pendula)? They're growing wild on our campus and delicious!

Careful- only eat the light green ones.

Parasaurolophus

Saw a grey whale from the ferry this afternoon, which was exciting!
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 01, 2021, 08:03:47 PM
Saw a grey whale from the ferry this afternoon, which was exciting!

Congratulations on your sighting!

evil_physics_witchcraft

Saw a beautiful male Eastern box turtle in my backyard this morning (it's a pretty rustic/woodsy yard).

mamselle

No swans (although they must be around because there's freshly plucked white feathers in one of the areas where they make their bedding) and I think the geese have mostly migrated away.

Several ducks here and there, but not in their usual places from the summer.

But I saw the juvenile heron I've seen before, first flying under the bridge (the Nathaniel Parker/Neil Dudgeon film "Piece of Cake" comes to mind) and later out on a sandspit doing his rotary hard-stare thing.

And before this AM I'd never ever seen a black heron.

That was cool.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

M.....This:  black heron (Egretta ardesiaca) ??

mamselle

Quote from: nebo113 on September 12, 2021, 06:31:40 AM
M.....This:  black heron (Egretta ardesiaca) ??

I think so.

No wingspreading going on, but the silhouette is right.

Thanks!

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

sinenomine

I just saw a bear wandering across the road — we both gave each other a long stare.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

Quote from: sinenomine on September 17, 2021, 07:04:47 AM
I just saw a bear wandering across the road — we both gave each other a long stare.

Jaw-drop.

Also, this children's song comes to mind, glad it's not what happened to you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdmV7VFDWqk

;--}

M.

apl68

Wild hogs have invaded Mom and Dad's property.  Fortunately they have had no face-to-face encounters so far.

mamselle