News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

You're making me wonder about eels, now.

They were a staple in some medieval diets, and I've always wondered how anyone could stand them.

But maybe it depended on what they ate, too.

Hmmmmm.....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paultuttle

Continuing to hear at least one great horned owl and see multiple rabbits and squirrels on my morning walks. Also, the chipmunk in the backyard is still scurrying around, but I haven't seen any foxes or hawks in a while.

namazu

Had our third snake sighting of the year, a day after the second snake sighting.  The last two sightings were in the same location, but different snakes!  (All garter snakes so far.  Have previously seen rat snakes and milk snakes here, too.)

Morden

For several years, a jackrabbit spent a lot of time sitting in our potato patch. I noticed he hadn't been around, and then found his feet in the back garden--bobcat, I assume. RIP PPR (Potato Patch Rabbit).

sinenomine

I had my first ever bobcat sighting yesterday -- pretty neat!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

apl68

Quote from: sinenomine on October 29, 2021, 04:39:48 AM
I had my first ever bobcat sighting yesterday -- pretty neat!

Congratulations!  They're a very rare sight.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

cathwen

Wow!  My state is supposed to be full of bobcats, but I've never seen one.  I'm a little envious!

apl68

This morning around dawn I heard a big splash in the pond at the city park.  A beaver?  Later, while walking along the other side of the pond, I saw a good-sized tree with an unmistakable beaver cut in it.  It's about to come down now.  The timber in the park has suffered a good deal in recent years from storms, droughts, a plague of nutria rats, etc.  The city needs to trap out the beavers before they do more damage.

Parasaurolophus

Wow, a bobcat!

I saw an enole on a tree today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

apl68

Yesterday evening one of the teens in our church youth group said that she had spent much of the day at the family deer stand without seeing any game.  All she saw was a coyote.  One of the others present told her that she should have shot the coyote, because they make good tacos.  You learn something new every day.

She didn't believe him.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Harlow2

An extremely portly ground hog. At a park, not my house.

mamselle

Oh, dear....I have this picture of a little roly-poly figure waddling along with short legs that barely reach the ground anymore...

He must be making out with the pickings in his area...or--thought--is it a female expecting kits?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.