News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aside

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 29, 2021, 11:45:15 AM
I offered a buck a kale leaf this morning, which it ate. It did not like it.

The buck, or the kale leaf?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: aside on November 29, 2021, 12:12:57 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 29, 2021, 11:45:15 AM
I offered a buck a kale leaf this morning, which it ate. It did not like it.

The buck, or the kale leaf?

Good question...
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Yesterday evening I heard repeated animal bellowing sounds wafting across our neighborhood well into the night.  A bull moose?  An elephant seal?  Or just another of the local dogs in a discontented mood?
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Do you actually have moose and seals nearby?

That might help to rule out some of the options...

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Maybe Moose and Squirrel?

Natasha, prepare the trap!
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Plenty of squirrels (Even a few flying squirrels!), no moose or seals that I know of.  Which suggests that it was probably a dog--but he sounded more like a moose or seal bellowing than a regular dog howling.  Some dogs have weird sounds come out when they try to howl.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

aside

Five deer crossing the road near my house, at the "deer crossing" sign.

paultuttle

Quote from: aside on December 21, 2021, 09:01:02 AM
Five deer crossing the road near my house, at the "deer crossing" sign.

They know how to be pedestrians!

apl68

We've had some serious rain for the first time in quite a long while, and the spring frogs are out in force!  I heard frog music everywhere I walked this morning.  Some of it came from places where there seemed to be barely any puddles for them to be sitting in.  An abundance of frogs is said to be a good environmental sign, so all the creaking and croaking and peeping is good. 

mamselle

Our family used to attend the annual "Work Weekend" at the Camp Fire camp my sister and I attended for many years. Each family was housed in a different cabin, so there was plenty of room.

One year, our younger brothers each asked to bring a friend, to have someone to play with. My folks agreed and they and the friends' families worked out the arrangements for transport from our more urban homes to the camp.

One of the kids had apparently never been out of the city. On arriving at night, and being greeting by the cacophony apl68 describes, complete with shrill peepers, mid-range croakers, and the occasional full-throated bull-frog dropping a deep bass "BOof!" into the din, the 8-year old got out of the car with a surprised look on his face.

He looked around apprehensively, as if he were thinking of getting back in the car.

Then he turned to my mom, gulped, and said, "Boy, this sure is a NOISY place!"

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Looks like we need to fix our compost bin. I just looked out the window and this is the second time I've seen a squirrel eating the stem of a lettuce that we threw in there.

clean

QuoteLooks like we need to fix our compost bin. I just looked out the window and this is the second time I've seen a squirrel eating the stem of a lettuce that we threw in there.

It may be less work to change the name to Squirrel Salad Bar!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

hmaria1609

Quote from: clean on March 28, 2022, 05:37:09 PM
QuoteLooks like we need to fix our compost bin. I just looked out the window and this is the second time I've seen a squirrel eating the stem of a lettuce that we threw in there.

It may be less work to change the name to Squirrel Salad Bar!
This squirrel enjoys coffee:
https://www.gocomics.com/speedbump/2022/03/28
From "Speed Bump" syndicated daily comic 3/28/22

apl68

Admiring the lake
I saw it and overlooked
The blooming dogwood