Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fauna and other natural things

Started by Thursday's_Child, August 29, 2019, 07:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Nature red in tooth and mandible....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Lots of deer yesterday.  Almost hit one, but wasn't going fast (curvy road) and slammed on brakes.

FishProf

I watched two chipmunks outside my office run headlong into each other 3 times in rapid succession, the scurry away.  I'd never seen a fight like that before.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Fighting?

Or Alvin running into Simon,  who's lost his glasses?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Quote from: mamselle on September 16, 2019, 01:35:30 PM
Fighting?

Or Alvin running into Simon,  who's lost his glasses?

M.

I though it was just a silly collision (think Far Side "Nature Scenes We rarely See"), but the repetition led me to conclude conflict.

mamselle

Were they males? Was there a female nearby?

Stag fights?

Or over food?

(Now I'm recalling the Chipmunks with those reindeer antler things tied to their heads and butting away...don't mind me, I'm in editing mode at the moment...)

M.

FishProf

miss jane marple

If I'm recalling correctly, the female chipmunks wear skirts...
By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth. - George Carlin

Kron3007

FishProf

Quote from: miss jane marple on September 18, 2019, 11:31:20 AM
If I'm recalling correctly, the female chipmunks wear skirts...

..and bows, right?

hmaria1609

Quote from: Kron3007 on September 18, 2019, 01:59:57 PM
Wild turkeys everywhere!
There was a wild turkey named Gus that roamed near my college campus.  Not sure how it got its name.  It was killed by a van on the local town thoroughfare.

namazu

There is a tree frog who has apparently decided that our watering can, atop the rain barrel, is their personal (frogonal?) swimming hole or nap spot. 
I'm charmed.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: namazu on September 20, 2019, 03:20:20 PM
There is a tree frog who has apparently decided that our watering can, atop the rain barrel, is their personal (frogonal?) swimming hole or nap spot. 
I'm charmed.

So am I.  That sounds like the perfect spot - sheltered & humid.

I had to stop yardwork the other day to photograph a gray tree frog who was resting in the opening to an old birdhouse.

ab_grp

According to spouse's hypothesis based on the evidence present at the scene, a coyote visited our back patio last night and may have played with one of spouse's outdoor shoes.  Maybe it was partaking in Mischief Night festivities.

backatit

HUGE rat on my back stoop last night, courtesy of one of the barn kitties. Thanks! I didn't need for it to be dragged all the way up from the barn to prove your ratting prowess! The LGD (livestock guardian dog) was also very active last night - the coyotes must have been out and about. It's one reason I don't worry about the ancient barn cats - they are great protection for everything. I looked at the camera footage, though, and didn't see anything other than her pacing and the goats sleeping.