News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Helpful hints from Forumite Heloises...

Started by mamselle, September 15, 2019, 11:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Does anyone else remember this? Is it still running anywhere?

In any case, household wisdom to reduce stress and solve problems...all safe, practical suggestions welcome (or maybe a few fantasyland ideas for fun...)

So, these hit me today....

1. Cream of tartar (a pinch or two) after flushing whitens the toilet bowl. ('struth)

2. Those little gnats that fly up out of the sink's drainpipes can be stopped with one of those little aluminum dollar pie plates placed over the open drain..at least, they fit mine...

3. Others? Your wisdom will help us all!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

Cool!

I should have checked.

However, I bet this group has great ideas as well.

Don't be shy.

If it works, it works.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

sprout

Fruitfly trap: 

jar with some depth
Add juice - I usually use grape juice
Add extra sugar, as  much as you like
Add dish soap (important!  If you forget this, you're making a breeding ground instead of a trap.  Be generous)
Stir it up to dissolve sugar and soap
Cover with plastic wrap and a rubber band
poke a few holes in the plastic wrap

(I'm sure I found this on the web at some point years ago.)

mamselle

Bookmarking.

Oh, I started the thread.

Oh, well!

M.

ergative

Put masking tape on either side of the nail clipper to catch the flying shards. Then you don't need to clip your nails over a magazine or a trash can.

mamselle

Brilliant!

How did you see me doing just that (hunkered over the tiny bathroom trashcan) the other day?

;--}

M.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: ergative on September 16, 2019, 12:37:46 AM
Put masking tape on either side of the nail clipper to catch the flying shards. Then you don't need to clip your nails over a magazine or a trash can.

Or, clip them in the shower or tub so the shards wash down the drain.  If you do this after they've soaked a bit it's generally easier to do all steps of the clean & clip & push cuticles back routine.  The major difficulty with this is keeping my reading glasses from getting all foggy.

ergative

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on September 16, 2019, 09:07:28 AM
Quote from: ergative on September 16, 2019, 12:37:46 AM

Or, clip them in the shower or tub so the shards wash down the drain.  If you do this after they've soaked a bit it's generally easier to do all steps of the clean & clip & push cuticles back routine.  The major difficulty with this is keeping my reading glasses from getting all foggy.

Oh, yes, that's a thought, although it might get a bit tricky with toenails. Sitting in a shower is not as comfortable as standing.

nebo113

onehappyunicorn

I use peroxide in place of bleach for cleaning, it does a great job on mildew and is way less dangerous. Blue dawn and white vinegar in a spray bottle will clean just about anything.

nebo113

Vinegar.  Peroxide.  Baking soda.  Borax.

mamselle

To try in order, or mix together all at once?

;--}

M.

hmaria1609

The "Ask Heloise" feature appears in the "Washington Post" throughout the week.

I like to use dish washing liquid to get food stains off clothes at work.  It's best to do it after the splash of liquid or juice, sauce, spill, etc.

nebo113

Quote from: mamselle on September 18, 2019, 06:36:23 AM
To try in order, or mix together all at once?

;--}

M.

Both....and duct tape and gorilla glue  ~:)