Things To Test

Started by eigen, May 16, 2019, 04:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

namazu

I don't see an "edit" button, either.

Nice personal text, though, LA!

eigen

Thanks for all the testing gang!

I'm wondering if some of this has to do with the post count ranks- I'll see about changing those settings tomorrow.

For attachments and emoji, I thought I had it turned off for everyone but mods, I'll have to see why it's not working.

For the marquee setting on the text window, I'm not sure that's controllable in the software. The only option I see is to turn off the WYSIWYG editor entirely, but that might be worthwhile.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

eigen

Hmm, I tried turning off the WYSIWYG editor, and it seems to have no effect.

I did tweak the user permission some, see if that effects your ability to edit.

Officially, attachments and emoji are turned off- not sure how some are appearing
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

eigen

Ok, I think I've effectively broken everything but the moving text, but I think I know how to do that.

eigen

Ok, broke the marquee text option and smilies.

namazu

Re: time zone display -- members have the option to set a time-offset from Fora Standard Time under Profile > Modify Profile > Look and Layout. 

I don't see an option to suppress it altogether, but people who wish to actively obscure their location can do so.

Hibush

Quote from: liquidambar on May 16, 2019, 07:59:45 PM
An annoying thing is that after I post, it kicks me back to the list of threads instead of to the post I just made.  I can't remember if the old fora did that too.
Under the edit window, click Attachments and other options. Check the box Return to this topic. Does that fix the behavior?

Liquidambar

Quote from: namazu on May 16, 2019, 08:25:16 PM
Nice personal text, though, LA!
Thanks.  :)

Quote from: Hibush on May 17, 2019, 03:46:52 AM
Quote from: liquidambar on May 16, 2019, 07:59:45 PM
An annoying thing is that after I post, it kicks me back to the list of threads instead of to the post I just made.  I can't remember if the old fora did that too.
Under the edit window, click Attachments and other options. Check the box Return to this topic. Does that fix the behavior?
Ah, I found it.  (I had to click the plus sign next to "Attachments and other options.")  Let's see what happens.

Eigen, is it possible to turn off the verification text?  Since you're manually approving accounts, spam seems unlikely.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

Liquidambar

"Return to this topic" does work, but it looks like I'll have to select it again every time I post.  (It didn't stay checked from the last time.)

By the way, the marquee button is gone.  Nice job, eigen.
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. ~ Dirk Gently

fast_and_bulbous

Oh yeah I like the new editor setup without all the emoticons and moving crap. Thanks eigen!!
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

cc_alan

Woot! Thank you to everyone. You rock!

Preview works without having to do the verification. Cool.

Let's see what happens if I try to post without verification. Snags me. Got it.

Now I'll try to edit. It works! I don't recall how long we have to edit, though.

cc_alan

Quote from: liquidambar on May 16, 2019, 07:58:19 PM
A weird thing is that stats are available for what time of day each person posts (displayed as a bar graph).  I don't know if anyone would consider that too intrusive.  I don't think it is, since the info could be manually collected by looking at someone's posts.

I checked and one could do this on the other site, too. I had forgotten about it!

cc_alan

Teletype? Ah!

Can we do links? Link to CNN (that should be a link... hmm... turned the square brackets into parentheses and took away the psuedo-html-code).
I don't remember what was decided. Will people be allowed to embed a link?

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: cc_alan on May 17, 2019, 10:25:26 AM
Teletype? Ah!

Can we do links? Link to CNN (that should be a link... hmm... turned the square brackets into parentheses and took away the psuedo-html-code).
I don't remember what was decided. Will people be allowed to embed a link?

Hmm, right. I'm not sure where that button is hiding, but I'll try to hunt around for it. I don't know that we had decided anything about embedding links, but it seems like a good idea for us to be able to do that.

EDIT: Doesn't look like enabling the button is among the things I have access to, sorry. Unless I'm looking in totally the wrong place, eigen'll have to find it.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: cc_alan on May 17, 2019, 10:11:07 AM

Now I'll try to edit. It works! I don't recall how long we have to edit, though.

If memory serves, 2 minutes without it showing up as edited, an hour overall.
I know it's a genus.