Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Things To Test

Started by eigen, May 16, 2019, 04:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_codex

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 17, 2019, 12:29:15 PM
Quote from: cc_alan on May 17, 2019, 10:11:07 AM

Now I'll try to edit. It works! I don't recall how long we have to edit, though.

If memory serves, 2 minutes without it showing up as edited, an hour overall.

Thanks to all of you for keeping this going. Logging on was not exactly intuitive, but I'm a bit of a tech doofus, which is one reason that I didn't volunteer to be a mod. I'm a good canary though -- I'm happy to beta test.
back to the books.

eigen

Hmm, I think I can turn back on embedded links separate from the image code- I'll check on that.

I'll also turn off the verification. At the moment, it's set up to require verification for the first 10 posts from a new account- I figured that would be a good setting to keep around long-term, and shouldn't require verification from people for very long as we move into large scale membership drives.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

eigen

Quote from: cc_alan on May 17, 2019, 10:25:26 AM
Teletype? Ah!

Can we do links? Link to CNN (that should be a link... hmm... turned the square brackets into parentheses and took away the psuedo-html-code).
I don't remember what was decided. Will people be allowed to embed a link?

Ok, looks like URL code is turned back on.

There's a setting to turn on and off each piece of BBC code that allows embeds- I've got most of them turned off, but can turn them on individually if you find something else missing you'd like.
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

fast_and_bulbous

There appears to be an issue with logging "in the top left" as opposed to clicking on the Login tab and logging in "in the middle".

I continually can't do the first but can do the second.
I wake up every morning with a healthy dose of analog delay

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: eigen on May 17, 2019, 01:15:00 PM

I'll also turn off the verification. At the moment, it's set up to require verification for the first 10 posts from a new account- I figured that would be a good setting to keep around long-term, and shouldn't require verification from people for very long as we move into large scale membership drives.

Ooh, that sounds great! I hadn't realized that was even an option.
I know it's a genus.

eigen

Ok, so it looks like the top-right login bug is a "known issue" in this version of the software. I'm going to try a code-based fix, but that may or may not work.

Login definitely works if you go to the main "Login" screen.

eigen

On reviewing the code change required, I'm not confident enough in my ability to re-write the base level software without screwing things up, and vote we wait for a patch.

eigen

Ok, so it looks like the login error is only in the "default" theme. So I changed it to another simple theme- things will look slightly different, but the top-right login should work now.

aside

Now I'll try to edit. It works! I don't recall how long we have to edit, though.

I tested the edit timer today, editing a post more than 50 minutes after I made it.  My vote would be for keeping a longer window than the old forum.  I often thought of a better way to say something after the window closed, or did not catch an error in time.

eigen

Quote from: aside on May 17, 2019, 04:43:51 PM

I tested the edit timer today, editing a post more than 50 minutes after I made it.  My vote would be for keeping a longer window than the old forum.  I often thought of a better way to say something after the window closed, or did not catch an error in time.

I'm open to more flexibility, but I think we also want to avoid situations where someone edits the initial question after answers have been given.

It's currently set to 60 minutes, so it should have let you edit 50 minutes after posting?

What would you suggest as an alternative timer?

aside

Quote from: eigen on May 17, 2019, 04:46:39 PM
Quote from: aside on May 17, 2019, 04:43:51 PM

I'm open to more flexibility, but I think we also want to avoid situations where someone edits the initial question after answers have been given.

It's currently set to 60 minutes, so it should have let you edit 50 minutes after posting?

What would you suggest as an alternative timer?

Oh, I was just confirming that the 60 minute window worked for me as a regular member, and expressing appreciation for having a longer time to edit than allowed on the old fora.  I think 60 minutes is a fairly longish time already, though, and I would not suggest making it longer.  I agree that we don't want  folks making a muddle of the thread by changing non-quoted material after several replies have been posted. 

eigen

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

It's easy to adjust if we find it's a problem.

Scout

cc_alan

Quote from: eigen on May 17, 2019, 01:58:24 PM
Ok, so it looks like the login error is only in the "default" theme. So I changed it to another simple theme- things will look slightly different, but the top-right login should work now.

Top left?

I tried it and it worked for me.

Another embedded link check: CNN. <- should be a link. Yeah! And there should be no quotes around the hyperlink part (I originally did that by accident). BBCode. Got it!

And thanks again to Eigen, Parasaurolophus, and everyone else. You all rock!

eigen

Whew, yeah, top left. Working for me now too- looks like it was theme based.