News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Trivial Irrelevant Aggravations

Started by sprout, October 03, 2019, 12:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneMoreYear

My work computer has apparently decided that I should be writing in German, and has set the proofing language in German as default. I do not speak German.  I am a horrible speller, so it's not that unusual to see multiple words in a row misspelled, but when the spellcheck underlines entire sentences, I start to be concerned. Now, I am in a fight with the settings. I keep changing the proofing language to English, and it keeps switching it back to German. I just want to finish these documents and be done for today!

mamselle

Mine does that when I've deliberately set it to French and then set it back. It somehow reverts even when I've re-set it two or three times.

It's also easy to bump the setting if you'd doing other formatting tasks, maybe symbols or something like that, as I recall.

M.   
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on February 05, 2021, 03:02:20 PM
Mine does that when I've deliberately set it to French and then set it back. It somehow reverts even when I've re-set it two or three times.

It's also easy to bump the setting if you'd doing other formatting tasks, maybe symbols or something like that, as I recall.

M.

My mother has had the same problem switching back and forth between Spanish and English.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

ab_grp

My phone tends to switch between Spanish and English, but I don't know how that works for a computer, so I hope it got straightened out!

My trivial irrelevant aggravation is that I managed to get stuck in my coat---again---because I am apparently a toddler who can't zip it correctly.  Actually, toddlers are probably more proficient at zipping their coats.  Nothing makes you feel more like an adult than working at (read: yanking in frustration) the zipper to the point where you can push the coat to the floor around your ankles and step out of it.

evil_physics_witchcraft

My laptop cord will not charge my battery. Now, the icon at the bottom of the screen shows that the battery is charging, but when I look at the percentage, it steadily drops over time.

ab_grp

Did you figure out your battery charge issue, EPW?

Just coming here to be aggravated about having accidentally signed my ex-husband up for texts about computer keyboards.  His # is one off from my old one, one I keep attached to an old BlackBerry in case I don't want something bugging me on my newer #.  I'm sure he won't care that much but will know I did it if my email address is included in the welcome text since I had to sign up using both and confirm by text.  Luckily he is a nice guy.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: ab_grp on March 03, 2021, 07:17:44 PM

Just coming here to be aggravated about having accidentally signed my ex-husband up for texts about computer keyboards.  His # is one off from my old one, one I keep attached to an old BlackBerry in case I don't want something bugging me on my newer #.  I'm sure he won't care that much but will know I did it if my email address is included in the welcome text since I had to sign up using both and confirm by text.  Luckily he is a nice guy.

I just bought a new cord and it works. Maybe, if I ever get some free time, I'll open up the old one and play around with it.

ab_grp

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 04, 2021, 08:10:11 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on March 03, 2021, 07:17:44 PM

I just bought a new cord and it works. Maybe, if I ever get some free time, I'll open up the old one and play around with it.

Good to hear! I have a ton of parts lying around that I might try to figure out the problem with someday. 

wareagle

My office mate cannot hold a zoom call quietly.  She has her computer speakers turned all the way up, I'm sure, and her door is left wide open.  Even after closing mine, I can hear everything clearly through paper-thin walls. 
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

FishProf

If only there were a way to direct sound to her ears, and her voice to its target as well, without  environmental acoustic saturation.  Someone should invent that..
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

wareagle

I have considered placing cheapo ear buds on her chair.  But figured she'd know who they were from.  We are not friendly.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

FishProf

Quote from: wareagle on March 04, 2021, 01:32:04 PM
I have considered placing cheapo ear buds on her chair.  But figured she'd know who they were from.  We are not friendly.

Airhorn?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

wareagle

Seems drastic, but that might be appropriate.

However, the eavesdropping possibilities are quite entertaining.  I heard a lot about a local spa and their pedicures earlier today.  This afternoon it was a plea to contact your state senator about some bill regarding higher ed funding.  You never know what you might learn.

Vkw10

After presentation slides were 95% complete, my co-presenter changed the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3, then noticed that the speaker instructions requested 16:9 and changed it back. Now I need to reposition and resize all of my graphics. Half an hour wasted, which will probably come out of my lunch break.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

sinenomine

I went to the bank drive-through to shift money from one account to another, by depositing a check written to myself into savings. The teller deposited the check — from my checking account — into my checking account. Then it took her ten minutes to straighten everything out.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."