Trivial Irrelevant Aggravations

Started by sprout, October 03, 2019, 12:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Quote from: Puget on June 22, 2022, 05:26:04 PM
Quote from: dismalist on June 22, 2022, 02:39:58 PM
Quote from: Puget on June 22, 2022, 02:17:50 PM
Quote from: dismalist on June 22, 2022, 02:08:46 PM
Last gambit: Freshness of the eggs? I'm punctilious about that.

Yes, but not in the direction you might think-- the older the eggs, the easier they are to peel. Why? Over time, the egg looses some water (the shell is not perfectly evaporation-proof), and so shrinks a bit, pulling away from the membrane and shell.
So use the freshest eggs for out-of-shell cooking, and save some older ones for boiling.

Theory makes sense. Practice claims I've not had the problem! Theory must be incomplete.

Last gambit +1: What's the elevation? I'm near sea level. [Different boiling points.]

Is Juvenal making soft boiled eggs in Colorado, when he thinks he's making hard boiled eggs near the Dead Sea?

This is all very challenging and difficult.

Practice suggests you may never have had actually fresh eggs. Most supermarket eggs aren't all that fresh.

You mean those "sell by" dates are fiction? The horror! There oughta be a law!

I can't trust the regulators anymore. :-(
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

FishProf

I use an egg steamer, then into an icewater bath.  I still get the occasional mangled egg.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Puget

Quote from: dismalist on June 22, 2022, 05:49:20 PM
Quote from: Puget on June 22, 2022, 05:26:04 PM

Yes, but not in the direction you might think-- the older the eggs, the easier they are to peel. Why? Over time, the egg looses some water (the shell is not perfectly evaporation-proof), and so shrinks a bit, pulling away from the membrane and shell.
So use the freshest eggs for out-of-shell cooking, and save some older ones for boiling.

Theory makes sense. Practice claims I've not had the problem! Theory must be incomplete.

Last gambit +1: What's the elevation? I'm near sea level. [Different boiling points.]

Is Juvenal making soft boiled eggs in Colorado, when he thinks he's making hard boiled eggs near the Dead Sea?

Practice suggests you may never have had actually fresh eggs. Most supermarket eggs aren't all that fresh.

You mean those "sell by" dates are fiction? The horror! There oughta be a law!

I can't trust the regulators anymore. :-(

Yes, but again not in the direction you think--Eggs will last months in the fridge and still be safe to eat.
In fact most "best by" "sell by" and expiration dates are pure fiction.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

dismalist

As I said, I can't trust the regulators. :-)

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Puget

Quote from: dismalist on June 22, 2022, 08:35:38 PM

It's actually not the regulators, it's the companies. By putting "best by" dates on things, they encourage more waste (stores pull from the shelf, consumers toss) and more spending. I know that's hard for you to accept that "the market" could be wronging you :-)
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Juvenal

Indeed; it's one of modern life's mysteries.  I live nowhere near the Dead Sea or Denver.  My elevation is exactly 100 feet above sea level.  I've heard the "freshness eggs" vs. "veteran eggs," idea, but supermarket eggs might actually be of different ages in the carton.  I suppose I could set a carton aside (in the fridge) for a month to veteranize them.  Or just resign myself to the "will it--won't it?" game as each egg comes to my hand, white-shrouded.
Cranky septuagenarian

dismalist

Quote from: Puget on June 23, 2022, 06:30:54 AM
Quote from: dismalist on June 22, 2022, 08:35:38 PM

It's actually not the regulators, it's the companies. By putting "best by" dates on things, they encourage more waste (stores pull from the shelf, consumers toss) and more spending. I know that's hard for you to accept that "the market" could be wronging you :-)

For eggs, it's state regulations, but some states do not allow sell-by dates. When a "sell-by" date appears on a carton bearing the USDA grade shield, the code date may not exceed 30 days from the date of pack.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

dismalist

Quote from: Juvenal on June 23, 2022, 06:37:12 AM

Indeed; it's one of modern life's mysteries.  I live nowhere near the Dead Sea or Denver.  My elevation is exactly 100 feet above sea level.  I've heard the "freshness eggs" vs. "veteran eggs," idea, but supermarket eggs might actually be of different ages in the carton.  I suppose I could set a carton aside (in the fridge) for a month to veteranize them.  Or just resign myself to the "will it--won't it?" game as each egg comes to my hand, white-shrouded.

Ah, one operation I forgot to mention in getting my near perfect eggs: I puncture the shell at the big end, where the gas bubble is [I'm a big-endian.] before putting the egg into boiling water. One can buy so-called egg piercers cheap. [Five bucks at Amazon, e.g.]
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

ab_grp

For some reason, my exercise pants' drawstrings all seem to be trying to escape the pants.  :-( !

sinenomine

An Amazon package shipped by Amazon is now late, and their tracking function doesn't do anything useful after the expected delivery day — it just says it's late, which I already know.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

Will it let you go back and see the last transfer point the item landed at?

They might not pick up the phone, but a call there might help.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

sinenomine

Quote from: mamselle on August 03, 2022, 01:13:42 PM

M.

The package has reappeared in the system — 350 miles from my house. Not one of Amazon's best moments!
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Harlow2

Quote from: sinenomine on August 03, 2022, 05:39:28 PM

M.

The package has reappeared in the system — 350 miles from my house. Not one of Amazon's best moments!

About 3 years ago one of my packages was at the center down the road from me and supposed to be delivered in the morning. When it didn't arrive, I found it had been sent back to the regional center, then to Louisville, then somewhere else. A day or so later it retraced every step and was then properly delivered. Since Amazon is now closing some of its warehouses I wonder if that will complicate delivery?

sinenomine

Quote from: Harlow2 on August 07, 2022, 07:57:56 AM
Quote from: sinenomine on August 03, 2022, 05:39:28 PM

M.

About 3 years ago one of my packages was at the center down the road from me and supposed to be delivered in the morning. When it didn't arrive, I found it had been sent back to the regional center, then to Louisville, then somewhere else. A day or so later it retraced every step and was then properly delivered. Since Amazon is now closing some of its warehouses I wonder if that will complicate delivery?

The delivery was made three days late, and instead of the two books I had ordered, I got a box of diapers. Now I'm waiting on the reorder and have to return the wrong one. Grrr.

apl68

You ordered books and got diapers.  Now that's a mix-up!
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.