News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Trivial Irrelevant Aggravations

Started by sprout, October 03, 2019, 12:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

apl68

My EYES itch!  The pollen is tormenting them.  You'd think it wouldn't come back with such a vengeance less than 24 hours after a good rain.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

AmLitHist

Quote from: apl68 on March 25, 2021, 01:19:53 PM
My EYES itch!  The pollen is tormenting them.  You'd think it wouldn't come back with such a vengeance less than 24 hours after a good rain.
We're in the same springtime cycle here:  high tree pollen > rain > lower tree pollen but higher mold.

the_geneticist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 25, 2021, 08:04:37 AM
My incisions ITCH!

Just remember, no scratching them.  You can gently tap near the incisions and that does help a bit.

Aster

Every time I hear someone on television or radio use the terms "deep dive", "unpack", "pivot", and/or "false narrative".

The term "false narrative" really gets under my skin. I just want to shout "you mean a LIE? That's LYING."

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: the_geneticist on March 30, 2021, 09:19:22 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on March 25, 2021, 08:04:37 AM
My incisions ITCH!

Just remember, no scratching them.  You can gently tap near the incisions and that does help a bit.

Right. Actually, they stopped itching. My bruises are fading and my scabs fell off! Now I have some cool scars.

paultuttle

Pollen all over everything, like a yellow haze.

Giving me a serious sinus headache. Oh, well--thunderstorms are coming later in the week, they say.

ergative

Quote from: Aster on March 30, 2021, 10:07:04 AM
Every time I hear someone on television or radio use the terms "deep dive", "unpack", "pivot", and/or "false narrative".

The term "false narrative" really gets under my skin. I just want to shout "you mean a LIE? That's LYING."

Huh--I always thought that 'false narrative' was a really useful term. In my head, at least, it means something like 'really big lie, which is believable because the liar is constructing a larger story that (is intended to) make the fundamental untruth seem more plausible.'

Lie: 'No, I didn't eat the last piece of cake.'.
False narrative: 'No, I couldn't have eaten the last piece of cake--you know that I work in the study, and the cake was stored in the kitchen. Actually, with the weather turning nicer, I left some windows open in the kitchen, and I thought I heard a rustling sound there this morning. We've had some very active raccoons this week--did you know I saw a whole family of raccoons in the yard last night? Baby raccoons are so cute. Anyway, they're very bold, so maybe a raccoon came in the window and ate the last piece of cake.'

Of course, 'false narrative' sounds gentler than 'lie', so maybe people are using the term differently from how I imagine it, to avoid accusing others of lying. Like 'racially charged'.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: paultuttle on April 06, 2021, 02:49:25 PM
Pollen all over everything, like a yellow haze.

Giving me a serious sinus headache. Oh, well--thunderstorms are coming later in the week, they say.

It's 'yellow' over here too. Damn tree sperm!

wareagle

My secretary has a computer that was last used by Noah to check in the animals.  We cannot get it onto the internet.  She is, therefore, unable to do any work at all.  And IT won't upgrade it.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum

marshwiggle

Quote from: ergative on April 07, 2021, 12:58:27 AM

Huh--I always thought that 'false narrative' was a really useful term. In my head, at least, it means something like 'really big lie, which is believable because the liar is constructing a larger story that (is intended to) make the fundamental untruth seem more plausible.'

I've always thought of it more in the context of someone messing with chronology to make a case. For instance, "He attacked her because he found out she was having an affair", whereas in reality the attack was before he found out about the affair. So while all of the objective facts of the narrative may in fact be true, the causal relationships aren't.
It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

Just checking, are "First-world Problems" before or after "Trivial Irrelevant Aggravations," as we move towards "Vinhales" and full-out "Vents"?

Or do the aggravations preceed the problems in simplicity?

Just so's I don't post stuff in the wrong place....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: wareagle on April 07, 2021, 06:37:58 AM
My secretary has a computer that was last used by Noah to check in the animals.  We cannot get it onto the internet.  She is, therefore, unable to do any work at all.  And IT won't upgrade it.

Wow, what reason is IT using to not upgrade it?

ergative

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 07, 2021, 06:48:40 AM
Quote from: ergative on April 07, 2021, 12:58:27 AM

I've always thought of it more in the context of someone messing with chronology to make a case. For instance, "He attacked her because he found out she was having an affair", whereas in reality the attack was before he found out about the affair. So while all of the objective facts of the narrative may in fact be true, the causal relationships aren't.

Yeah, that too--actually, maybe that better captures my understanding of the term. It's about making false claims sound plausible because they make a pretty story.

wareagle

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on April 07, 2021, 07:07:42 AM
Quote from: wareagle on April 07, 2021, 06:37:58 AM

Wow, what reason is IT using to not upgrade it?

The secretaries get the worst of the worst.  Everyone is on a five-year cycle, and then the five-year old computer goes to the secretaries and work-study students.  This one is on its second re-cycle, which means it's at least ten years old.  As long as it turns on, they won't replace it.  I might drop a heavy object on it by accident.
[A]n effective administrative philosophy would be to remember that faculty members are goats.  Occasionally, this will mean helping them off of the outhouse roof or watching them eat the drapes.   -mended drum