News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Moving into the very worst heart of the summer weather.  Highs in the upper 90s to 100 are projected every day for the next week.  The lows overnight will be around 80.  Plus very high humidity.  I had sweat visible on my shirt just from walking in to work this morning.  Meanwhile our HVAC unit continues its summer-long practice of dropping out on us multiple times each afternoon and evening, due to fluctuations in the power grid on this end of town.  The power company refuses to work with us to do anything about it. 
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

That last part makes no sense. (Not saying you don't make sense, but the utility co. is dumb....)

At least around here, and elsewhere (as I've heard in both the US and the UK), libraries are one of the places seniors are told to go to for cooler air, if the have no acclimatization in their own homes.

If the power co. doesn't support you, how can you support seniors?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Vkw10

Lunch time is  95 degrees with 43% humidity. High is expected to be 102.

Watched sunset from the pool yesterday. The water temperature would have been perfect for bathing a new born.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

apl68

One hundred degrees for the high and a chance of rain in the forecast, which should tell you something about the relative humidity.  I learned today that our usual mailman is retiring and will have his last day a week from Friday.  He just has to keep reminding himself that he has only a few more days to get through!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

91 now, due to hit 93 in an hour or so, per the weather app.

...Or not, it's often a bit dramatic in its predictions...

No rain forecast until Monday.

Oh, well.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Hot and humid! Enough for a Heat Emergency in DC:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/07/dc-area-sees-high-temps-humidity-and-heat-indexes-ahead-of-some-storms/
I plan to get up early to get my morning walk done.

Here are tips for keeping your car working during the heat:
https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2022/07/how-to-keep-the-car-road-ready-during-extremely-hot-temperatures/
Posted on WTOP Radio 7/21/22

dismalist

Quote from: hmaria1609 on July 21, 2022, 02:42:42 PM
Hot and humid! Enough for a Heat Emergency in DC:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/07/dc-area-sees-high-temps-humidity-and-heat-indexes-ahead-of-some-storms/
I plan to get up early to get my morning walk done.

Here are tips for keeping your car working during the heat:
https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2022/07/how-to-keep-the-car-road-ready-during-extremely-hot-temperatures/
Posted on WTOP Radio 7/21/22

There is an alternative, hmaria: I'm thinking of not getting up tomorrow. :-)

Nice of you to post the car-tips-in-the-heat. They're new to me.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

True confessions: I've planned to get up early and walk for the past two days because, heat.

Instead, I've woken up, turned over and said, "Not today."

Because, heat.

Or, as Ann Miller put it, "It's Too Darn Hot."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS_YAKZH3lw

M.

lightning

Heat vs non-so-hot varies wildly in the locale where I am staying right now. Evenings are amazingly moderate (the perfect sweet spot between hot and cold) with low humidity (at least it feels that way), and a light breeze on occasion.

Daytime temps are oppressively hot and downright unbearable.

I do my walking in the evening around 9 PM, and it makes me very happy.

apl68

Rain passed near enough to hear the thunder last night, but not a drop right here.  Today felt less severe early in the morning, but promises to be about as hot later on.

Although this week's heat and humidity are severe by anybody's standards, they're not unprecedented for our community.  We're acclimated to it around here.  We can more or less handle it.  What's disturbing is that Britain's mild and pleasant land is now experiencing the same conditions we are, for the very first time in its history.  And some years before even most climate scientists thought they would experience it, apparently. 

hmaria1609

Quote from: dismalist on July 21, 2022, 02:59:37 PM
There is an alternative, hmaria: I'm thinking of not getting up tomorrow. :-)

Nice of you to post the car-tips-in-the-heat. They're new to me.
Sure thing!

I did get up early and walked this morning. Saw the usual morning walkers out and a few dogs.

FishProf

Quote from: lightning on July 05, 2022, 06:44:13 AM
Hot AF. Even Hawaii is looking good right now.

Hawaii is currently lovely. 86 degrees, light winds, 51% humidity.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

AmLitHist

Major overnight flooding in St. Louis--about 9" of rain at the airport, up to 12+ in areas to the northwest of the city and county.  About an hour east of downtown, we got about 5" (the basement is dry, thankfully); according to the maps, the farm where Kid #1 lives about 10 miles north of us is in the 6-9" range. 

As someone said earlier today, I'm pretty tired of living through one "historical" event after another.  (This rain smashed the one-day rain record of something over 6 inches, which was recorded in 1915 when a hurricane came up the river from Galveston.)

apl68

Quote from: AmLitHist on July 26, 2022, 11:44:08 AM
Major overnight flooding in St. Louis--about 9" of rain at the airport, up to 12+ in areas to the northwest of the city and county.  About an hour east of downtown, we got about 5" (the basement is dry, thankfully); according to the maps, the farm where Kid #1 lives about 10 miles north of us is in the 6-9" range. 

As someone said earlier today, I'm pretty tired of living through one "historical" event after another.  (This rain smashed the one-day rain record of something over 6 inches, which was recorded in 1915 when a hurricane came up the river from Galveston.)

This is the first I heard about it.  It's awful!  I hope not too many homes were wrecked.  This comes only a few years after historic-level flooding on the river at Saint Louis, too--I still remember the pictures of the Lewis and Clark monument down by the river standing in the water, with Clark looking like he was desperately trying to summon help.

And meanwhile, only one state to the south, we're caught in a worsening drought.

mamselle

We're cooler.

I'm glad not to have to fight doggedly through the previous two weeks' 90-degree days.

I'm Sirius....

M.