News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

Just so I won't screw up, is black the correct color ink?

arcturus

Quote from: ergative on September 28, 2022, 11:20:48 AM
My vent: I filled out the forms to renew my passport today. It took like five tries. First I used the wrong color ink. Then I put my first name in the box for my last name. Then I accidentally printed out the fourth form double-sided, when it needed to be single-sided. Then I got a digit of my post code wrong. By the last time, I realized I could have written my phone number more neatly, but I was DONE. Paid the fees, mailed it off. Let's hope it works.

When I lived in Canada, I was disappointed to learn that I needed to mail my (USA) passport renewal material to the same USA Post Office Box as I would if I were in the States. No consulate office for me. Rather, I had to find a photographer that could translate the US requirements for photo size (listed in inches, of course) for the photographs and then trust Canada Post not to lose the outbound and inbound mailings.

the_geneticist

Quote from: sinenomine on September 28, 2022, 10:54:08 AM
We have a new crop of HR staff at my school, most of them straight out of college, so they're encountering the divide between theory and practice. They've just sent out a campus-wide directive for all employees to fill out a work grid saying in what locations we work and what we do every hour of the week. Faculty are irate, deans are rolling their eyes, and the provost is gobsmacked. Morale has already been low, and short-sighted, draconian decrees and wastes of time like this are not helping!

Yikes! 

I'd be tempted to:
1) ignore this nonsense
2) if required, put in big boxes that say things like "research time", "teaching preparation", "meetings", etc.
3) if required by hour, I'd sneak in obviously snarky weird things like "hiding in office", "missing", "doing pointless tasks for HR", etc.

ergative

Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 28, 2022, 01:21:45 PM
Just so I won't screw up, is black the correct color ink?

In my case, yes. It's funny--five or ten years ago it was always blue OR black ink for official documents, and I got into some trouble with someone telling me I needed to send an original document, not a photocopy, when I had sent an original document filled out in black, so I guess it looked like a photocopy. So I've since then gotten in the habit of using blue ink for official documents, and that led me astray today.

paddington_bear

I need a pair of comfy work shoes so that my legs and feet are hurting at the end of the day. I think I've settled for athletic shoes (Kurus), but I miss wearing "dressier" shoes.

Parasaurolophus

I'm looking for something at my mother's house. I know for a fact it's there (not thrown out, etc.), yet it eludes me. Grrr.
I know it's a genus.

Larimar

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on September 29, 2022, 07:04:51 PM
I'm looking for something at my mother's house. I know for a fact it's there (not thrown out, etc.), yet it eludes me. Grrr.

I recommend starting to search for something else. Then you'll be tripping over the first item. Subsection G of Murphy's Law.

clean

QuoteI'm looking for something at my mother's house. I know for a fact it's there (not thrown out, etc.), yet it eludes me. Grrr.

I recommend starting to search for something else. Then you'll be tripping over the first item. Subsection G of Murphy's Law.

Buy another one on EBay and as soon as you pay for it, you will find the one you are looking for!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Parasaurolophus

Hehe.

I found it by tossing out a pile of old papers and junk. Whew! Replacing it would have been... well, extremely costly. (Not that it's of use as anything but a collectible.)
I know it's a genus.

fishbrains

People! You cannot merge onto a busy interstate going 30 miles an hour. You're going to get us all killed one of these days.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Parasaurolophus

Whelp. Now an even bigger whackjob is in charge of Alberta. Uuuuugh.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

This makes nine straight days that we haven't received anything on our paid-for daily New York Times print subscription.  Wall Street Journal is never more than a day or two out.  It really makes it look like NYT's journalists hold those of us in flyover country in disdain.  Not a good way to treat people who are at least open-minded enough to read what you have to say.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Harlow2

Quote from: apl68 on October 07, 2022, 10:14:32 AM
This makes nine straight days that we haven't received anything on our paid-for daily New York Times print subscription.  Wall Street Journal is never more than a day or two out.  It really makes it look like NYT's journalists hold those of us in flyover country in disdain.  Not a good way to treat people who are at least open-minded enough to read what you have to say.

We are 85 miles from NY on a major interstate. The delivery person here has always been unreliable, and now I get just the Sunday paper—on Sunday afternoon. Saturday apparently is not the weekend. I complained a year ago to customer service, then set the delivery to "away," and hoped when it resumed 6 months later things would improve. Nope, now they are worse.

glowdart

Quote from: sinenomine on September 28, 2022, 10:54:08 AM
We have a new crop of HR staff at my school, most of them straight out of college, so they're encountering the divide between theory and practice. They've just sent out a campus-wide directive for all employees to fill out a work grid saying in what locations we work and what we do every hour of the week. Faculty are irate, deans are rolling their eyes, and the provost is gobsmacked. Morale has already been low, and short-sighted, draconian decrees and wastes of time like this are not helping!

Well bless their hearts.

I'd be so tempted to fill it out accurately at 60+ hours per week to see if they accidentally up my salaried pay at the hourly "rate" they currently use for my supposedly 35 hour week.

mamselle

A little "malicious compliance," hunh?

;--}

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.