Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Puget on June 05, 2023, 06:50:56 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 05, 2023, 06:14:38 PM
Second of the day: the non-faculty union is on the verge of striking. Apparently we (faculty) won't get paid for work already completed unless we "cross" a picket line every day, even though we aren't actually working at the moment.

This seems like a pretty shit deal. Had I known I'd be forgoing my prorated salary for the next month or two, I'd have liked not to complete the work I won't be paid for.

Wait, how is this legal? Withholding pay you've already earned sounds like wage theft.

That's my thinking as well.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 05, 2023, 08:27:41 PM
Second of the day: the non-faculty union is on the verge of striking. Apparently we (faculty) won't get paid for work already completed unless we "cross" a picket line every day, even though we aren't actually working at the moment.

This seems like a pretty shit deal. Had I known I'd be forgoing my prorated salary for the next month or two, I'd have liked not to complete the work I won't be paid for.

Wait, how is this legal? Withholding pay you've already earned sounds like wage theft.

Interesting addition: since my pay is prorated monthly, and since I'm between teaching semesters, I'm also having my future pay docked, even though if the strike is resolved before I teach again, then I'm presumably expected to do everything. Between that and not paying me my full parental leave, I have to say, it's a pretty shitty university to work at.

Our employer has refused to return to the bargaining table with the staff union for weeks, so they've just walked out (as of minutes ago). Since faculty are also re-negotiating our contracts, and since that's not been going well, I imagine we'll soon be walking out, too. 
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 05, 2023, 10:54:33 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 05, 2023, 08:27:41 PM

Interesting addition: since my pay is prorated monthly, and since I'm between teaching semesters, I'm also having my future pay docked, even though if the strike is resolved before I teach again, then I'm presumably expected to do everything. Between that and not paying me my full parental leave, I have to say, it's a pretty shitty university to work at.

Our employer has refused to return to the bargaining table with the staff union for weeks, so they've just walked out (as of minutes ago). Since faculty are also re-negotiating our contracts, and since that's not been going well, I imagine we'll soon be walking out, too.

I don't know how the Canadian system worked, but here I'd suggest trying to get the state department of labor and attorney general involved. I don't see how it can possibly be legal to not pay for work that is done, or to require you to do anything during the summer if you are on a 9 month contract.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

AmLitHist

Holy crap, Parasaurolophus.  I'd be furious.

(We're union here--for all the good it does us, with the union leaders of the past couple of years.  And state law forbids us to strike. Which leads to the question:  what good is my union, actually? They're pretty good at filing lawsuits, but small comfort in the moment when we really need them.)

AmLitHist

I just had a knock-down, drag-out with my podiatrist before we even addressed my foot problem.  I signed in, paid my copay, and the receptionist asked if I wanted to pay the ~$130 bill for a couple of balances from small bills this spring.  I reminded her that I'm waiting for a payoff from my accident insurance policy, money is tight til the end of the month (when my first huge summer OL check posts), and I'll take care of it then, as I'd already arranged with the billing dept.  OK, no problem.

As I'm sitting in the waiting room, the poor sweet young girl came out and said that she was sorry, but the billing clerk in the main office (with whom I'd made the earlier agreement) said if I didn't pay today, the doctor wouldn't see me today.  I f-ing lost it:  between ALHS and me, we've spent upwards of $30K of our and Cigna's money with this guy over the past couple of years, and they're going to not only refuse services today over a $100 balance, AND you're going to dun me in front of a waiting room full of people? Like I don't feel bad enough already about living on a shoestring until summer OL money comes in, plus feeling like hell because my foot is still broken and I'm walking on it? Oh, hell no. I made ALHS whip out the emergency debit card and pay it.

I was then punished by not getting called back until everyone else who came in after me had been called into exam rooms. The doc finally came in (over an hour past my scheduled appointment time) and started to take off my boot, but I told him, "You are NOT touching me until we have this out."  I proceeded to read him chapter and verse, including that he might be the only game in this little cow town, but we drive to St. Louis for every other one of ALHS's doctors, and I'd have no problem hobbling out and doing the same, as I don't spend money with people who don't respect me and seem to be accusing me of trying to make off with $130 worth of services, yet being just tickled to bill Cigna all those thousands over the years. 

He was taken aback and tried to explain that he has expenses, has to make sure people don't leave him hanging with bills, etc.--so I asked, "Have WE ever done that?  Have you ever lost one damned dime on us? Because I just paid that $100 bill, but that doesn't mean you're getting another red cent from either one of us." After some major ass-kissing on his part--which I was not asking for--I tentatively accepted his apology, and he's refunding the money we paid today.

As to the foot problem:  it's a goddamned mess, and right now I'm in "hurry up and wait" mode.  Another 2 months in the Boot of Doom, trying to get Cigna to pay for a bone stimulator, and maybe still needing surgery at the end of all that.  Today's x-ray looked as bad as/worse than the one from a month ago. He doesn't have high hopes for the surgery, either, with my slow healing, arthritis, and diabetes.

So. . . . yeah.  I really wish I'd have stayed in bed this morning.

OH--he also ordered a doppler study of my leg, because he's concerned that I have a DVT, based on how ungodly swollen my foot and leg are, even early in the morning.  It just gets better and better, doesn't it.

Sorry. I'll shut up and get off-line now.  I just needed to get it out of my system.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Damn, ALH. I'd be !@$#%^%$#@! livid too. I hope things get better for you.

AmLitHist

Thanks, EPW.  I'm calmed down somewhat; apologies for losing my s&%t here on the fora about it. 

Parasaurolophus, I think you and I should establish a Fora A%&-Kicking Force and put it into motion.  Others are welcome to join in as needed! I'm not sure exactly what we'd do, but we could make it up as we go along.

Parasaurolophus

Ugh, that's awful, AmLitHist. I'm so sorry.

On the topic of insurance, my piddling peeve of the day is that my dental insurer "paid" a claim in March by depositing it directly into a TD bank account.

I do not have a TD bank account.

Quote from: AmLitHist on June 08, 2023, 04:26:03 PM

Parasaurolophus, I think you and I should establish a Fora A%&-Kicking Force and put it into motion.  Others are welcome to join in as needed! I'm not sure exactly what we'd do, but we could make it up as we go along.

Sure! But I'll kick the asses, on account of my foot not being broken.
I know it's a genus.

AmLitHist

^ You're always looking out for me, my friend!  (I'll loan you one of my reinforced fiberglass boots for those particularly worthy of it!)

Parasaurolophus

Our administration, in its wisdom, has decided that faculty with scheduled vacation commencing after the staff strike began, if they don't cross picket lines every day until that vacation time starts, will not be paid for their scheduled vacation.

This is transparently illegal.
I know it's a genus.

clean

Reading the last several posts makes my vent seem so minor.

We have been gone for the last 2 weeks for our long delayed trip to Alaska (originally scheduled for Covid year).  We got home late Friday.  Had dinner and spent time with INlaws yesterday.  Got the mail from In laws yesterday.  Found the water bill and though, that seems high.
Today went outside to the back yard to prepare to mow and see what other things need done.  Though, 'damn the grass damp', then stepped in a puddle.  (It has not rained much at all while we were gone.).  I now see that there is water dripping from the house under the outside water faucet.  (It is Father's Day Sunday, and MOnday is a federal holiday)> I will try to call a plumber, but for the moment, I have turned off the water to the house.

IN looking around I see that there are water stains all along the drywall on that back wall. 
I suspect that the leak was from the mower hitting the outside faucet, the water getting the insulation wet and now the water is soaking through the drywall.  It is otherwise dry inside.

Oh, and while I was outside, I found a window that was cracked, is now officially broken.  It wasnt anything on the fast track repair requirement, as I was waiting until July to replace it.  I probably still will wait the next few weeks.

So, I guess that I will see if I can get a plumber to come over tomorrow (Monday) and fix the leaking pipe.  I dont know from that what I will have to do next regarding the damage done to access the leaking pipe OR the wet drywall. 

We are scheduled to visit my parents in 10 days, until July 4.  I dont think that any of this will delay that trip. 

Welcome Home I guess!!

(and as with other people paid over 9 months, I wont be paid again until August 1 (when I expect to be paid for summer school, though it is possible it will be September 1, and my regular paycheck returns in October 1.  Fortunately, I have enough to hold me over. I dont expect that I will have to spend - or WILL spend a lot before then. Hopefully I wont have to replace a lot of drywall or hardy plank because of the damaged pipe, and IF I DO, I hope that Insurance will pay something, though I have a high deductible AND it is questionable whether I d be covered for the slow leakage damage - from what I remember from my days as a student in Principles of Insurance.

What can you do?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

arcturus

I went to my local cable company "store" to get a replacement for a piece of non-working equipment. Employee made the exchange and said, helpfully, "if you have any problems installing, just give us a call." So, I had problems installing. I call ... and cannot get anyone real on the phone. The "helpful" voice assistant tells me that there are outages in my area. Technicians cannot help with my "technical problems" until weather conditions improve and the outages are fixed.  I try 3 separate times, but they "check my account" and immediately transition to "there are outages in your area. We are working to repair, etc." I then try the chat bot. Same deal. My problem is not that there are "outages in my area." I am certain there are (we had bad storms and I did have a power outage for 8 hours yesterday). But that is completely unrelated to my problem, which is that the replacement equipment they gave me does not appear to mesh with the existing equipment in my house. The thingy-majob that they gave me blinks green, then red/green/red. I assume that means that the instructions they provided do not work for these two pieces of equipment. But it would be nice if someone could answer the phone/internet chat to confirm that I will have to disconnect the bigger piece of equipment and bring both new and old into the "store" tomorrow. Running me around in circles and telling me that there are outages in my area is not helpful customer service.

Oh, and did I mention that the only possibly useful thing the chatbot told me to do was to check to see if there were batteries in the remote control. Yes. Really. (and, for the record, of course there were brand new batteries in the remote control!)

smallcleanrat

Had paramedics called on me for a non-epileptic seizure. Again.

Ended up being taken to hospital, so will be hit with a huge ambulance bill. Again.

In the ER waiting room feeling out of it, exhausted, and humiliated. Again.

SO had to take off work to be with me at the hospital. Again.

Hating myself right now for still not having these episodes under control.

In despair over thoughts of the future if things continue as they are.

Why can't I just be normal?

I feel like I'm being excluded from the club of competent, functional adults, when I desperately want membership.

clean

It has been an expensive summer, and it is not getting cheaper!
1. Car door part needs replaced.  Part should be at least $100 each then labor.  Also my power points (cigarette lighters) are all out.  not a fuse (that I can find), so something could be expensive. 
2.  My Bride's phone died.  Purchased a new iphone for her and it was delivered today.  Add to that an otter box.
3.  A pipe broke in the wall a few weeks ago. It is dried out, but it needs to be repaired and repainted.  Im out the deductible and then whatever else I need to get done on top of that above the insurance coverage. 
4. With the cabinets missing (from the leak), I discovered another leak in the kitchen sink.  That will need to be replaced as well.
5.  The shut off valves seem to be having problems too.  IF I have to have the plumbers come in, I may as well make a big process out of it and have them replace the valve shut offs, and the sink. 
6. My computer hard drive blew up last night.  FOR THE THIRD TIME!!  I purchased an extended warrantee and Ill send it off, but as the hard drives have been lasting only 6 to 8 months, and the warrantee is nearly out, I m going to just buy another computer now and not be dependent on something just waiting to die for a fourth time!!

Other items to deal with...   
My Bride's car has some warrantee problem to be fixed on Monday.
I have a broken window in the house (expected a call back last week to replace that window).
There are 2 places (that I know of) that have dry rot  that need replaced.

Classes start on Monday, so I will get paid for a summer class in September (or August) Im sure that Ive already gone through that money!!

So what about your budget?  Still in tact?  Any big repairs in your future? 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

arcturus

Hi clean!

My "to do" list sounds similar to yours.
1. remove tree that has started to lean over the house.
2. replace water heater.
3. fix plumbing problem.
4. replace broken windows.

For (4), I had difficulty finding a place in town that would replace just the window pane, not replace the whole window!

Based on estimates and work already done, I have blown through my summer salary for the year. Fortunately, I have sufficient funds saved up for these expenses. Next on my list is to paint the entire house (which will probably require replacing some of the siding) and redo the roof. Houses are are expensive! And having trees around the house is really expensive!