Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Dog to English Translator

Started by archaeo42, May 21, 2019, 05:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aside

Quote from: apl68 on January 14, 2020, 07:57:42 AM
Quote from: mamselle on January 13, 2020, 04:12:12 PM
EEk, I don't recall knowing about that--very sorry to hear of it!!

How are you doing now?

M.

I'm okay now, more or less.  I have yet to regain most of my upper body strength.  I still can't sleep on the left side.  The right side was already having problems due to a rotater cuff issue, so I just don't sleep very well at all any more.  I'm still doing physical therapy exercises to try to improve both shoulders.

Very sorry to hear this!  Hope you are better soon. 

clean

QuoteI was seriously injured in a dog attack some months back (Four broken bones and a broken lung), and have been leery of potentially hostile dogs ever since.

Bear Spray. 

I think that this is what I carry
https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Frontiersman-Holster-Options-Multi-Pack/dp/B002E6VAHK/ref=sxin_3_osp36-a6a9bef7_cov?ascsubtag=a6a9bef7-7520-4969-a0f2-f713c0e8c7f3&creativeASIN=B002BMOJXE&cv_ct_cx=bear%2Bspray&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.a6a9bef7-7520-4969-a0f2-f713c0e8c7f3&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=bear%2Bspray&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B002BMOJXE&pd_rd_r=408c64fb-51d3-4d85-ad1b-1985418655d2&pd_rd_w=4QM5u&pd_rd_wg=fQxmx&pf_rd_p=e1262d27-368d-44f1-a337-220e1af8b014&pf_rd_r=FY3QTH87PRSGR7C8RKNF&qid=1579048654&tag=tripsavvypublish-20&th=1

My own neighborhood is not too much of a problem, but I hvae been challenged twice while walking. Once by a dog I wasnt really familiar with and once by some little dog that would try to bite my ankles every time I turned my back.   After that, I decided that the bear spray would be the self defense solution.  It has a 20' range and puts out a cloud and not a stream of spray.  It will even leave a color on the critter so that it can be identified later. 

My parents live in the boonies.  The houses are on at least 5 acre lots and many people have large dogs that think that they own the yard and the entire road.  I got the spray for my mom, but I think that the dogs are more familiar with her now, but they sure dont know ME so I take it with me when I am out and about! 

SO I have no hesitation to  recommend bear spray to anyone who has had bad experiences with dogs.  While "buffy would never bite anyone" has been a poor defense for the civil suits once Buffy has a doggy criminal record!  Better to spray Buffy with bear spray than to have her put down because once she HAS bitten someone no one wants to insure buffy's owners against the potential liability! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

nebo113

A year old 20 pounder has entered my life.  We've been working with a trainer and good things are happening.  Both the trainer and a dear friend suggested "antlers" so I bought one (expensive) and the little (sorta, given that my previous canines were about  6 - 7 pounds)  critter loves it.  Like a binkie or  blankie for a two legged kidlet.

Why the attraction...addiction???

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

nebo113

My 20 pound, year old bundle of energy is on kibble, but I wonder if I should include wet food.  When I had 7 pound canines, I made their food (ground turkey, brown rice, veggies) and vets think it contributed to long, healthy lives.

Any thoughts???

apl68

A neighborhood dog
Gives me sloppy dog kisses
Over the low fence
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

We have one of those in the neighborhood!

I'm always a little disappointed when he isn't out as I go by....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Quote from: apl68 on March 12, 2020, 07:13:42 AM
A neighborhood dog
Gives me sloppy dog kisses
Over the low fence

I needed this today!!!

archaeo42

I think our being home all the time has upped archaeodog's separation anxiety. Or maybe he was just feeling super needy yesterday. Spouse was in the basement doing a workout while I was upstairs in the guest room doing yoga. Archaeodog sat at the bottom of the stairs and barked at varying degrees of intensity. He's never done that before.

He's still fine when we leave the house and give him his Greenie to placate him.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

apl68

Quote from: archaeo42 on March 17, 2020, 06:21:08 AM
I think our being home all the time has upped archaeodog's separation anxiety. Or maybe he was just feeling super needy yesterday. Spouse was in the basement doing a workout while I was upstairs in the guest room doing yoga. Archaeodog sat at the bottom of the stairs and barked at varying degrees of intensity. He's never done that before.

He's still fine when we leave the house and give him his Greenie to placate him.

An archaedog must be very handy to have at a dig....
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

archaeo42

Quote from: apl68 on March 17, 2020, 07:08:03 AM
Quote from: archaeo42 on March 17, 2020, 06:21:08 AM

An archaedog must be very handy to have at a dig....

Funnily he's never been on one and he's not much of a digger!
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

evil_physics_witchcraft

We lost our 14 year old dog today and it has been hard to deal with much of anything.

Morden

I am so sorry. It's really, really hard. Please take care of yourself.

mamselle

Oohhh....very sorry to hear that.

Nothing fills the empty spot, not even a new dog (they turn around three times and curl up into a new place in our hearts)...but it can hurt less over time.

All good thoughts and wishes for peace amidst the pain.

M.