Topic: Bang Your Head on Your Desk - the thread of teaching despair!

Started by the_geneticist, May 21, 2019, 08:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

I always say, to that specific request (as opposed to the Ppts, discussed above...not the same, in my mind),

"Class notes are notes students taken in class. When you miss a class, you're expected to get class notes from someone else. In the first week of class, I asked you to identify someone you could do that with on an 'easily-asked-for-and-given' basis.

You need to go to that person now and ask to copy their notes."

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Hard drive crash.

Hours of teaching videos lost, permanently.

Videos needed for the class I am teaching right NOW, so I must redo them, now.

Time I do not have.

[Power failure, WHILE copying the files to the multitude of backups.)
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

marshwiggle

Quote from: FishProf on June 10, 2020, 04:35:59 AM
Hard drive crash.

Time I do not have.

(Power failure, WHILE copying the files to the multitude of backups.)

That's one of those nightmare scenarios.....

My sympathies.
It takes so little to be above average.

FishProf

Oh!  Some of the files passed through Google Drive at some point!  I can recover those....

Not all, but some.

marshwiggle

Quote from: FishProf on June 10, 2020, 05:08:29 AM
Oh!  Some of the files passed through Google Drive at some point!  I can recover those....

Not all, but some.

"Some" >>> "none"

FishProf

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 10, 2020, 05:10:53 AM

Not all, but some.

"Some" >>> "none"
I was promised there would be no math.....

polly_mer

Quote from: FishProf on June 10, 2020, 05:36:37 AM

Not all, but some.

"Some" >>> "none"

Your frat buddy Carl is not a reliable source since he so seldom came to class and accessed zero of the online videos.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

marshwiggle

Quote from: polly_mer on June 10, 2020, 06:34:02 AM
Quote from: FishProf on June 10, 2020, 05:36:37 AM

Not all, but some.

"Some" >>> "none"

Your frat buddy Carl is not a reliable source since he so seldom came to class and accessed zero of the online videos.

But everyone I talked to said that no-one watched the videos!

mamselle

Quote from: FishProf on June 10, 2020, 04:35:59 AM
Hard drive crash.

Time I do not have.

[Power failure, WHILE copying the files to the multitude of backups.)

How's it going?

Were you able to scrape enough off G-Drive to make it work?

There are online recovery systems for XHDDs that are pretty good: I used one a year ago that recovered most of my materials just a week before one of my 3-week study trips for which I reallllllly needed them.

I'll have to poke around in my emails to locate the site: they survey your XHDD to see if the files are recoverable, tell you the diagnosis, and let you decide before charging you (it was 65.00 then) and starting the recovery.

It's not fast-- I had a lot of files and had to leave it setup over night--and not everything is recovered (and not all your deeply nested files may come through in full) but it was more than good enough to work with.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

I think I recovered the important stuff that wasn't already backed  up elsewhere, but had to spend the day redoing the work that had been done.

So a win, of sorts.

mamselle

So, I found the recovery service I used last year, just in case it's useful to someone:

Your EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional (12.8  was the version they were using then),
        it was listed as belonging to Cleverbridge, and the link was:

https://www.easeus.com/download.htm

M.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Got an email last night... about 40 minutes before the first quiz was due. Apparently, this student is having difficulties and lives out in the middle of nowhere with an internet speed of 6 Mb/s.

This is first contact. Hu's been in the class for over a week.

OneMoreYear

I don't know if it's despair; it's probably more extreme annoyance but since I can't say anything to this student without causing hell to rain down on me for not be supportive enough and student-centered during this stressful time, please allow me to vent here and skip this post if you don't want a vent.

Dear graduate student,
I recognize that this a stressful time, and there are deadlines that need to be met. Thus, I am working on the weekend even though I should instead be modeling appropriate self-care.  Given that, when you send me a document for review on Friday afternoon, I do not need a follow-up email less than 24 hours later on Saturday afternoon, and I especially don't need an email that begins "I would like to remind you that. . ." 

I would like to remind you  that you are the one who caused this tight deadline by not getting this document to me in a timely manner in the 1st place and by not bothering to read the document specifications when you submitted your initial draft.

writingprof

Quote from: OneMoreYear on June 20, 2020, 11:12:47 AM
. . . even though I should instead be modeling appropriate self-care.

This is a wonderful phrase that I shall henceforth use as an introductory clause whenever appropriate.

Even though I should instead be modeling appropriate self-care, I will unload the dishwasher.

Even though I should instead be modeling appropriate self-care, I will attend your committee meeting.

Even though I should instead be modeling appropriate self-care, I will take five minutes and make some Black Lives Matter noises on Twitter lest I be sent to a concentration camp.

I love it!

Parasaurolophus

"Book is great source for studying and preparing for exam instead of reading."

From comments I solicited from the students this summer term. (I don't use textbooks for non-formal classes; I just post the articles I want them to read, so that (1) I can tailor the class to the topics and authors I want them to read, and (2) they don't have to spend $100+ on a textbook.)
I know it's a genus.