News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The vinhale thread?

Started by mamselle, May 22, 2019, 09:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Indeed.

It's similar with independent scholar-stuff.

A few folks care and give good validation, but for the most part, one really has to both want to do it and have a fairly clear set of internal standards and rewards built-in, because the usual things--tenure, more pay, collegial recognition, etc.--are more spare on the ground.

Glad you care--that's what matters in the end.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

Vent: Out of town vacation resulted in a souvenir case of Covid. Rats! After all these months of care, I couldn't avoid what happened in the large packed dining rooms we had to eat in (remote, no other choices).  apparently hotel personnel in that town are all getting or have been sick.

Inhale:  A very mild case, and I will test tomorrow again

Vent: I never would have done the trip if the dining arrangements had been clearer

Inhale: I got most of the hikes in before I got the suspicious sore throat.

Vent: even so, this is sure to affect my strength on the trail, which had just improved.

Inhale: I think I feel good enough to get back out there this week

ergative

FIngers crossed it passes quickly, Harlow!

Inhale:We finally moved in to our new home a week ago.
Vent: The issues that were flagged on the reports are looking like they might require worst-case scenario repair estimates.
Inhale: We did budget for the worst-case scenario, so that's annoying but not a catastrophe.
Vent: Also, the bathtub seal leaks badly, which was an unexpected surprise. No showers for us! Only non-splashy baths. I'll have to make friends with a caulk gun in the near future.
Inhale: Our first order of Ikea bookcases arrived and we put them together this weekend. Our fiction section perfectly fits in the shelves we acquired for them (although we'll need to expand soon, at the rate we acquire books), and the Russian likewise perfectly fits its new home. Non-fiction, poetry, drama, big books, pretty books in matching bindings, SFF, and art still need homes. I think Ikea might be sending us more packages in the future. I'm getting very good at assembling those bookcases!

Harlow2

Quote from: ergative on August 22, 2022, 09:08:26 AM
FIngers crossed it passes quickly, Harlow!

Inhale:We finally moved in to our new home a week ago.
Vent: The issues that were flagged on the reports are looking like they might require worst-case scenario repair estimates.
Inhale: We did budget for the worst-case scenario, so that's annoying but not a catastrophe.
Vent: Also, the bathtub seal leaks badly, which was an unexpected surprise. No showers for us! Only non-splashy baths. I'll have to make friends with a caulk gun in the near future.
Inhale: Our first order of Ikea bookcases arrived and we put them together this weekend. Our fiction section perfectly fits in the shelves we acquired for them (although we'll need to expand soon, at the rate we acquire books), and the Russian likewise perfectly fits its new home. Non-fiction, poetry, drama, big books, pretty books in matching bindings, SFF, and art still need homes. I think Ikea might be sending us more packages in the future. I'm getting very good at assembling those bookcases!

Congrats on the successful move! And best wishes for the repairs

Istiblennius

Kids' school has so many staff, teachers and students out sick that they cancelled school today.
But... I had already planned to work from home today, so it's kind of nice to have them around.

Harlow2

Hope you wil all stay healthy.

AmLitHist

Vent:  Diabetic retinopathy (both eyes) sucks.

Inhale: It's mild at this point.

Vent:  Severe, thick, spider-webby floaters in the left eye since last week REALLY suck. (I always think the cat is coming up on my left side, ready to pounce.)

Vent:  The floaters are caused Posterior Vitreous Detachment (PVD). 

Vent:  Not much can be done for them, aside from "wait and see." No quick-and-easy laser fixes, eye drops, etc. are available.

Inhale:  At least it wasn't a retinal detachment, and both retinas, optic nerves, and pressure in both eyes are OK.

Vent:  Diabetes sucks, especially when poorly controlled like mine (despite taking way too much insulin, Metformin, Jardiance, Ozempic, and keeping a strict diet).

Inhale:  At least Cigna has been paying for all this without argument.

SIGH.  I'm really, really tired of having my eyes dilated (at least 20 times in the past 18 months).  Pfft.

poiuy

Oh @AmLitHist, that sounds taxing and tiring.  It sounds like you and the docs are doing all that can be done, and I hope that things remain stable. It's a big plus that the health insurance company is not giving you trouble.
All the best through this.

Harlow2

Quote from: AmLitHist on February 07, 2023, 11:24:23 AM

Vent:  Severe, thick, spider-webby floaters in the left eye since last week REALLY suck. (I always think the cat is coming up on my left side, ready to pounce.)

Vent:  Not much can be done for them, aside from "wait and see." No quick-and-easy laser fixes, eye drops, etc. are available.

Inhale:  At least it wasn't a retinal detachment, and both retinas, optic nerves, and pressure in both eyes are OK.

Vent:  Diabetes sucks, especially when poorly controlled like mine (despite taking way too much insulin, Metformin, Jardiance, Ozempic, and keeping a strict diet).

SIGH.  I'm really, really tired of having my eyes dilated (at least 20 times in the past 18 months).  Pfft.

So sorry about the vents, ALH, but glad to see the inhales.  Hope the eye dilation can slow down a bit.

ergative

Vent: Ever since we moved into our new place it's been an unending list of fairly big repairs: new windows, new electrical board, ceiling repairs, repainting after ceiling repairs, and on Monday we're getting the floors repaired and refinished in three rooms, which means today some movers are coming to pack up those three rooms of the house. Absolutive and I have done a pretty good job of splitting up who organizes what, but I am exhausted of being the person with the flexible schedule, because that means it's always my job to be home to meet the workers.

Vent: We're going to be spending THREE WEEKS with no floors and no furniture outside the bedroom and kitchen. I just want to LIVE in my NEW HOME.

Inhale: I think, after the floor work is done, that everything will be over, and the only remaining tasks will be maintenance, rather than repairs. Then I can finally buy things like that beautiful coffee table I saw on Etsy, and window seat cushions, and so on. Y'know, the FUN bits of owning a new home. End of March, baby! We're in the last leg!

paultuttle

Quote from: Harlow2 on February 08, 2023, 08:18:53 PM
Quote from: AmLitHist on February 07, 2023, 11:24:23 AM

So sorry about the vents, ALH, but glad to see the inhales.  Hope the eye dilation can slow down a bit.

Same. All good thoughts sent toward you.

My own inhale: It's spring, and the flowers are out!

And the corresponding vent: So is the pollen . . . .

EdnaMode

Vent: my person has Covid, he took the week off (I'm on spring break) so we could spend some quality time together, which we never seem to have time to do these days, and of course he would get freakin' Covid (note, I'm not angry at him, just the situation)

Inhale: thankfully since he's fully vaxxed (so am I) his symptoms have been minimal, he's been quarantining at his house, wore a mask since the day he started getting cold-like symptoms, before he even tested positive, because his job requires frequent and close contact with others (probably how he got it in the first place) and I have repeat tested negative 

Inhale: he'll be out of self-quarantine tomorrow and we'll still get to spend time together, though most likely not doing anything too adventurous (our planned hikes are definitely out because his worst symptom has been exhaustion), but the time together will be nice
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

paultuttle

Quote from: EdnaMode on March 06, 2023, 07:21:28 AM
Vent: my person has Covid, he took the week off (I'm on spring break) so we could spend some quality time together, which we never seem to have time to do these days, and of course he would get freakin' Covid (note, I'm not angry at him, just the situation)

Inhale: thankfully since he's fully vaxxed (so am I) his symptoms have been minimal, he's been quarantining at his house, wore a mask since the day he started getting cold-like symptoms, before he even tested positive, because his job requires frequent and close contact with others (probably how he got it in the first place) and I have repeat tested negative 

Inhale: he'll be out of self-quarantine tomorrow and we'll still get to spend time together, though most likely not doing anything too adventurous (our planned hikes are definitely out because his worst symptom has been exhaustion), but the time together will be nice

Inhale/suggestion and vent/caveat based on the bolded phrases above:

Inhale/suggestion: Ice cream is nearly always a good idea in spring. Butter pecan (or maple walnut, another favorite of mine) might be nice. <grin>

Vent/caveat: Prices are still going up . . . .

EdnaMode

Quote from: paultuttle on March 06, 2023, 12:15:10 PM
Quote from: EdnaMode on March 06, 2023, 07:21:28 AM

Inhale/suggestion and vent/caveat based on the bolded phrases above:

Inhale/suggestion: Ice cream is nearly always a good idea in spring. Butter pecan (or maple walnut, another favorite of mine) might be nice. <grin>

Vent/caveat: Prices are still going up . . . .

Well, we had about six inches of snow last night, so not quite ice cream weather (we're hardy souls so hiking in the snow would've been just fine) but in a food related tangent, we may try some recipes we've been saving up for "when we have time." Thanks for the ideas!
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

AmLitHist

Inhale:  The blasted fiberglass cast is off (5 weeks after breaking the bone, and 4 weeks after the cast being put on)!

Vent:  I'm back in the Tall Gray Boot of Doom for another 4 weeks, when I go back for an x-ray and further planning. It's not that bad, but Little Cat didn't gain much by me losing the knee scooter and replacing it with this!  LOL

Vent: [TMI/disgusting warning here] I have a fierce looking large skin ulcer on my big toe, where I told them the cast had been rubbing, and a smaller, less fierce one on my shin.  Gee, let's do the math:  diabetic, with attendant very dry skin, on a leg getting no air and not being washed for a month.  What could possibly go wrong?

Inhale:  The pinching and stabbing I'd felt on the back of my calf all week was NOT an ulcer, but rather, a sealed pen needle for my insulin. WTF??? (HOW it got into my cast, esp. with all the recent swelling, I'll never know. I felt like an idiot when they found it! Leave it to me....)

Vent:  With my slow healing etc., I'm kind of planning on having to get the bone surgically repaired, just because that's how things have been going in recent years.

Inhale: I know how Intermittent FMLA works now--so if it takes surgery, I'll sit at home and teach this fall, and take FMLA for my assigned F2F sections. 

All in all, more of an inhale than vent, for now at least.