News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Why is it that every time I see the name of the romance author Maisey Yates, I try to read it as "Mairsey Doates?"  And am I the only one guilty of doing that?
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

I have the original sheet music from my grandmother's piano bench...

;--》

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Double, several days later...

I shouldn't, shouldn't, shouldn't be adding this abstract submission to my tasks for the day.

But it's making me so HAPPY.

Guess I like/need 'new stuff' to do every now and again so I don't just get bogged down in the 'old stuff...'

(Or is it just a distraction?)

Hmmm....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

That is not an 'or' question.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

apl68

Since I am a minor public official and all, I accept having to have my photo in the paper now and then as a price to be paid for getting local media coverage of our library.  But man, that front-page photo with me this week was awful!  It made me look like a scarecrow that had been propped up in the center of the room.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

Maybe the photographer had Hallowe'en on the brain?

Sorry, our public images do take a beating and we have no control over it, sometimes...

I played a porch gig a few years back; it was very nice to be on the front of one of the local weeklies, but I had my eyes closed and my mouth open, singing--just looked weird.

But as long as they spell your name right....

;--}

M.

downer

I grade student work on Canvas on my laptop which has a 13" screen.
It's clear to me that you need at least a 20" screen to really be able to grade papers on Canvas when using the rubric function.
But since the college doesn't provide me with that, I'm not doing it.
It's not very different from the students writing their papers on their phones.
But there it is. That's how things go these days.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

^ A Ctrl-minus will reduce text size, if that helps (at least on a PC).

My random thought....why break what was fixed?

Zoom's new interface with gmail, by which I send my student invites to their class sessions, is now totally messed up.

It was fine before.

"New, improved!"

Yeah.

M.

mahagonny

Colossal irony: Herschel Walker paid for abortions so he wouldn't suffer the loss to his reputation from having fathered children extramaritally. And now it may turn out that by doing so he sabotaged his political career.

kaysixteen

No matter how much a Georgia GOP voter wants to have the Senate back in his party's hands, Walker is a uniquely unfit candidate to ever smell the US Senate.   Makes me long for the days of the old Roman Republic, where the censors, elected for a brief term every 5 years, had as amongst their duties to draw up the roll of the Senate (a lifetime honor and without a real max number of Senators), and they could evict a Senator they deemed morally unfit to serve.

AmLitHist

Quote from: kaysixteen on October 26, 2022, 09:35:44 PM
No matter how much a Georgia GOP voter wants to have the Senate back in his party's hands, Walker is a uniquely unfit candidate to ever smell the US Senate.   Makes me long for the days of the old Roman Republic, where the censors, elected for a brief term every 5 years, had as amongst their duties to draw up the roll of the Senate (a lifetime honor and without a real max number of Senators), and they could evict a Senator they deemed morally unfit to serve.

^ IS there even such a thing anymore in America?

ciao_yall

Quote from: kaysixteen on October 26, 2022, 09:35:44 PM

That would always be an objective process, engaged with high morals and great sobriety.

/snark

Harlow2

Quote from: downer on October 04, 2022, 12:50:09 PM
I grade student work on Canvas on my laptop which has a 13" screen.
It's clear to me that you need at least a 20" screen to really be able to grade papers on Canvas when using the rubric function.
But since the college doesn't provide me with that, I'm not doing it.
It's not very different from the students writing their papers on their phones.
But there it is. That's how things go these days.

I finally broke down and bought a 22-inch monitor. Oh, my life is better.