News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts Anew

Started by mamselle, May 27, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

I finally have some time to clean out my inbox. I've made my way back to about mid-February of this year, and I'm struck by how I'm much more likely to delete things now which before I would have tucked away in folders.

backatit

Quote from: downer on June 19, 2019, 08:33:50 AM
If Boris is going to be Prime Minister, I may just give the UK a miss for a while.

I can't, but the thought has occurred. Maybe I can sit in Ireland and throw letters across the sea to the family there...I'm sure that will suffice...

magnemite

If they are Anew, are those thoughts really random?
may you ride eternal, shiny and chrome

downer

Quote from: backatit on June 19, 2019, 11:28:38 AM
Quote from: downer on June 19, 2019, 08:33:50 AM
If Boris is going to be Prime Minister, I may just give the UK a miss for a while.

I can't, but the thought has occurred. Maybe I can sit in Ireland and throw letters across the sea to the family there...I'm sure that will suffice...

I would like to meet family in some mutually convenient location. Dublin and Madrid come to mind. It won't be long before Scotland is independent after Boris takes up residence in #10, so Edinburgh will be an option too.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

Quote from: magnemite on June 19, 2019, 11:49:16 AM
If they are Anew, are those thoughts really random?

Good question--meaning, I don't know the answer.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

aside

How do you milk an almond?

Juvenal

Quote from: aside on June 24, 2019, 08:14:02 PM

Why should you expect to get any milk from nuts?
Cranky septuagenarian

polly_mer

Quote from: Juvenal on June 25, 2019, 04:19:24 AM

An interesting tweet recently was one of the hard parts of being vegan was milking the almonds every morning because the teats were so small.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

downer

How often do you get notification from Uber about your Uber code? I know it happens every time someone or somebot tries to register with my phone number. Now it is just about every day. Sometimes twice a day. It's on the annoying side.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

downer

My reading of any CHE articles has definitely declined since I stopped going to the old forums.

I wonder how the publication is doing.

magnemite

Quote from: polly_mer on June 25, 2019, 06:53:30 AM
Quote from: Juvenal on June 25, 2019, 04:19:24 AM

An interesting tweet recently was one of the hard parts of being vegan was milking the almonds every morning because the teats were so small.

If you think that is difficult, try to get the oat milk from those oats...
may you ride eternal, shiny and chrome

polly_mer

Quote from: downer on July 10, 2019, 11:33:42 AM
My reading of any CHE articles has definitely declined since I stopped going to the old forums.

I wonder how the publication is doing.

Since it's only been a week, they are probably OK for now.

So that we'll have it later when someone updates their page (if they ever do):

Site Traffic

Monthly traffic to The Chronicle's Web site is more than 17 million page views from more than 1.2 million unique viewers. The Chronicle also has site licenses at more than 800 4-year and 2-year institutions. On average, registered subscribers spend an average of 77 minutes on The Chronicle's Web site per week.
site: https://www.chronicle.com/page/DemographicsSite-Traffic/14

Economizer

Hello! Does anyone have any suggestions?
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

polly_mer

Quote from: Economizer on July 10, 2019, 08:22:37 PM
Hello! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Always wash your hands after using the facilities.

Don't eat the yellow snow.

Check carefully on that left turn in Albuquerque.

mamselle

I saw a post in my emails that took me aback for a moment. The heading was "Restore Patience and Fortitude."

I first thought it was paradigmatic of something larger in society....then I realized what it referred to.

If you're on the NYPLibrary email list, we're currently being asked to donate to support the library's sculpted lions' repairs.

https://donate.nypl.org/give/241659/#!/donation/checkout?amount=50&preset1=200&preset2=100&preset3=50&preset4=25&utm_source=eNewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Friends_20190728_RR_P3&utm_campaign=FRS&c_src=FRQ20RR_QECP3

Their names (which I'd never known) are, indeed Patience and Fortitude...(much more nuanced than "Art" and "Science," which our flanking figures represent).

The campaign, called "Restore the Roar," is still running.

Very random, I know.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.