News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fall 2020 Enrollment numbers

Started by downer, April 15, 2020, 01:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

I'm looking at my fall enrollment numbers. All my classes have some students enrolled, which is actually pretty good for mid-April. Seems like online classes may be enrolling faster than f2f ones.

My lowest enrollment is for a class that runs on Friday afternoon, and that's probably the reason it is low.

How about you?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Aster

Heh. We haven't even opened up registration for the Fall term. Heck, we're still deciding if we're even going to follow the planned Fall academic calendar or not.

dr_codex

Quote from: Aster on April 15, 2020, 02:46:27 PM
Heh. We haven't even opened up registration for the Fall term. Heck, we're still deciding if we're even going to follow the planned Fall academic calendar or not.

I'll do you one better. We have opened up registration, without deciding if we're going to follow the Fall calendar. I really, really, really hope that our Registrar does not leave us; she is amazing, and we would be toast.
back to the books.

clean

I dont know that any numbers that are out Now have a lot of meaning.  IF we are still 'social distancing', then will some students or parents have jobs to support tuition?  IF we are still in a 'recession' then usually that is good for tuition dollars as more people come back to get a degree or finish up (because the opportunity costs are lower). 

Anyway, I doubt that any enrollment numbers are dependable.  I doubt that anything close to accurate will be available before June or July. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

spork

Current undergrads here have, for the most part, registered for fall courses. Enrollment in one of my courses is normal but in the other it's low. I've heard from other faculty that they are seeing below-normal enrollments in some courses, but I think it's probably because students are not in their usual routines on campus, not because they plan on not returning in the fall.

The big worry here is the size of this year's freshman class. Deposits are running 10-15% below normal. The official deadline has been pushed forward 30 days to June 1, but that's leading to even more uncertainty. I predict there's going to be a scramble over the summer to fill seats and we will be admitting students we wouldn't have admitted five years ago, which will contribute to the university's downward spiral. They will be getting a lot of financial aid but retention will be lousy, in effect the university will be over-subsidizing their presence on campus. 
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Vkw10

Fall enrollment numbers are lower than usual at this stage, with plans for advisors to reach out students individually. Freshman enrollment usually happens during summer orientations, some of which may be online. I've heard deposits are low, but no firm numbers yet.

We are backup plan for many students waitlisted for Nearby U. We could not just lose enrollment, but lose the top of our freshman class if Nearby U admits waitlisted students because their deposits are below expectations. Here's hoping that Nearby U is ahead of schedule on deposits this year.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Parasaurolophus

We haven't heard a peep about fall enrollments. What I can tell you is that summer enrollment is currently sky-high, and that the admin is worried about winter enrollments, because we're dependent on international recruitment from India and that's when most of those students arrive.
I know it's a genus.

pgher

I teach at the junior level and enrollment is about like I expect.

Caracal

Quote from: dr_codex on April 15, 2020, 04:28:00 PM
Quote from: Aster on April 15, 2020, 02:46:27 PM

I'll do you one better. We have opened up registration, without deciding if we're going to follow the Fall calendar. I really, really, really hope that our Registrar does not leave us; she is amazing, and we would be toast.

Same with my place, but that seems like the only real way to go. If students register for in person classes, you can move those online and everyone will still be able to take them. It wouldn't work the other way. My numbers look about like they usually do at this point. Of course, it isn't like preregistering comes with a cost or obligation, so I'm not sure how much that can tell us.

namazu

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on April 16, 2020, 10:24:22 AM
We haven't heard a peep about fall enrollments. What I can tell you is that summer enrollment is currently sky-high, and that the admin is worried about winter enrollments, because we're dependent on international recruitment from India and that's when most of those students arrive.
Latest dispatch from here suggests a similar situation:

Summer enrollment is running above-average at the moment (within the college, though not necessarily the whole university).  The deadline for admitted undergrad students to accept has been pushed back somewhat, so yield of matriculating students for fall is unclear.

A lot of the grad students are international (especially from China and S. Asia) and may be deterred by visa/travel issues.   At the department level, new grad student matriculation is currently running about average, with a deadline for first-round admits at the end of the week.

College is floating the idea of making it easier for new students to begin remotely and then come to campus if/when the campus is open and students are free to travel.  How this will be accomplished is thus far unclear.

downer

I should add Summer enrollments. I picked up a summer class online, which is full.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

the_geneticist

Summer classes here are all online.  In my department, most are already full and waitlisted. 
We have not yet opened Fall registration or even decided if/when campus will be open again.  The county Health Inspector has said all schools & universities have to remain closed until the end of June.  No idea what will happen as far as summer research, let alone Fall classes.

dr_codex

We just got our update. New undergraduate deposits down 8% from this point last year. Incoming transfers up, and probably going to be way up. Grad students too early to call. Lots of current students not yet registered -- I'd guess that there are lots of holds on accounts, for finances and for housing issues.

If this holds up, it will actually balance out our cohorts somewhat, and help to fix a hole caused by higher than usual withdrawals two years ago.

back to the books.

tuxthepenguin

Our most recent update showed new student enrollment only a little below last year. There's still a lot of uncertainty and a lot of data not yet in. There's a chance total undergrad credit hours could be up by the start of the semester.

sprout

I'm at a community college and on a quarter system.  Enrollment for summer and fall doesn't begin for another couple of weeks, so it's all wild speculation at this point. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see a drop in enrollment for summer.  For fall, I could envision enrollment being flat or maybe even a bit elevated.  With the recession, there's not as much of an opportunity cost in going back to school, as someone mentioned upthread.  And community colleges are built for that.  I could also see 'traditional age' students looking towards community college.  Why pay more to go the four-year when you'd have to stay at home and take your classes online anyways?