News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fall 2020 Enrollment numbers

Started by downer, April 15, 2020, 01:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

I wonder how many students are going to struggle in semesters to come because the prerequisite classes they took last semester were such a mess that they were unable to master the material, despite passing the classes and gaining the credits.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

polly_mer

Quote from: apl68 on September 08, 2020, 10:30:54 AM
I wonder how many students are going to struggle in semesters to come because the prerequisite classes they took last semester were such a mess that they were unable to master the material, despite passing the classes and gaining the credits.

That's only a problem for majors where knowledge and skills matter.  Anyone just checking boxes for a credential won't immediately feel the effect.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

marshwiggle

Quote from: polly_mer on September 08, 2020, 11:27:48 AM

That's only a problem for majors where knowledge and skills matter. Anyone just checking boxes for a credential won't immediately feel the effect.

Although I have a weird hunch that it's those majors where "knowledge and skills matter" that will have been more rigorous about making sure about what students had to accomplish after the covid lockdown than other courses, some of which have been discussed here, where profs essentially passed everyone becuase of the "trauma" of the situation.
It takes so little to be above average.

dr_codex

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 08, 2020, 11:39:19 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on September 08, 2020, 11:27:48 AM

That's only a problem for majors where knowledge and skills matter. Anyone just checking boxes for a credential won't immediately feel the effect.

Although I have a weird hunch that it's those majors where "knowledge and skills matter" that will have been more rigorous about making sure about what students had to accomplish after the covid lockdown than other courses, some of which have been discussed here, where profs essentially passed everyone becuase of the "trauma" of the situation.

Could be.

But I'm in one of those "box checking" courses fields, and I had an extremely high percentage of F's and DNF's. Online course rates, which shouldn't really be a surprise, even though I extended every deadline. All of those students are repeating the course.

On the other hand, in what you guys call the 'knowledge and skills matter" courses, confirmed cheating rates were sky-high. I'd wager that at least some of those students are taking up seats in their follow-on courses as we speak. Should be interesting if that has an effect on their progress this semester.
back to the books.

polly_mer

Quote from: dr_codex on September 09, 2020, 01:46:13 PM

On the other hand, in what you guys call the 'knowledge and skills matter" courses, confirmed cheating rates were sky-high. I'd wager that at least some of those students are taking up seats in their follow-on courses as we speak. Should be interesting if that has an effect on their progress this semester.

Cheating rates are often high for the intro courses.  The 'fun' starts at the actual weedout course where students either up their cheating game or get told to find another major.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

apl68

Alma Mater says that they now have the highest enrollment in 30 years.  They also say that they currently have over an 80% retention rate, and over a 60% graduation in four years rate.  Thanks to better than expected enrollment this semester, they have kept their COVID-related deficit down to under $1 million.

I briefly visited the campus over the weekend.  Students appear to be taking the use of masks seriously.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on September 28, 2020, 08:35:02 AM
Alma Mater says that they now have the highest enrollment in 30 years.  They also say that they currently have over an 80% retention rate, and over a 60% graduation in four years rate.  Thanks to better than expected enrollment this semester, they have kept their COVID-related deficit down to under $1 million.

I briefly visited the campus over the weekend.  Students appear to be taking the use of masks seriously.

This will be interesting to see if there are some institutions that actually come out of covid stronger, by virtue of having adapted well and creatively, so that they have risen above their less-pro-active competitors in ways that provide an ongoing advantage.

bio-nonymous

Funny enough, we were just told we had record enrollment for the incoming class. OF course, we are also told that the the "sky is still falling" financially though, enrollments or not, because covid19.

apl68

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 28, 2020, 08:45:12 AM

This will be interesting to see if there are some institutions that actually come out of covid stronger, by virtue of having adapted well and creatively, so that they have risen above their less-pro-active competitors in ways that provide an ongoing advantage.

Personally I suspect that Alma Mater has been picking up students from Texas who have left Liberty University in disgust.  There's something to be said for having university leaders who don't act stupid.

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on September 28, 2020, 09:37:20 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on September 28, 2020, 08:45:12 AM

Personally I suspect that Alma Mater has been picking up students from Texas who have left Liberty University in disgust.  There's something to be said for having university leaders who don't act stupid.

That belongs on a T shirt, but it would be awkward to wear to work.