News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Furloughs?

Started by att_mtt, April 17, 2020, 12:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerseyjay

As an update, the state government is in talks with the union regarding furloughs. The union representing clerical workers has already reached an agreement with the state, giving up between 10 and 19 days in exchange for nobody being maid redundant. Since these are for people who actually work a 9-5x5 schedule, this means between 2 and 4 weeks.  (I realize this is vague, but it is still unclear what the reality is.) This is supposed to be offset by going on unemployment for part of the time. We should hear what hit the professors will be taking shortly.

This is on top of each department having to eliminate a certain number of sections (i.e., lay off a certain number of adjuncts), and probable increase in course sizes. Also, almost all course releases have been cancelled, as has support for conference attendance.

clean

Quoteexchange for nobody being maid redundant.

Is this having 2 upstairs maids, or both an upstairs and downstairs maid?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

jerseyjay

Given your name, I would say that you would want at least two maids per floor. So, more than three per floor would be redundant.

mamselle

Yes, but at various points the folks in Upstairs, Downstairs had a headhouse parlormaid as well as an upstairs maid, a kitchen maid, and an underhouse maid.

So, even if you laid off two of them, you'd still have some coverage.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Cheerful

Quote from: jerseyjay on June 29, 2020, 03:05:31 PM
(I realize this is vague, but it is still unclear what the reality is.)

As with most things pandemic and higher ed right now.  In fact, this would be a good book title.

Harlow2

We are now hearing a possible 12 days for faculty with details to come. 

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

spork

It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

spork

saffie

larryc

We laid off half our classified staff over the summer to save the football team from cuts. The faculty voted to take a 6% pay cut to preserve the jobs of our non-TT colleagues.