News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Question on op-eds for the media

Started by adel9216, May 10, 2020, 08:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adel9216

Hello!

Anyone here expert on writing op-eds in English?

Dismal

I've written perhaps a dozen and work with colleagues who write them also.  If your op-ed is professionally related, I recommend showing it around to people in your network.  Send them a draft and ask if they could spend five minutes looking it over.  I'm gotten really good feedback that way about how to clarify and sharpen my point.  What is your question?

polly_mer

Quote from: Dismal on May 10, 2020, 10:10:33 AM
What is your question?

"Help me pursue another distraction from my PhD work."

Remember, readers at home, successful grad students spend their summers on comps and research for the dissertation.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

mamselle

Be sure you say well-researched things that you don't see coming back to bite you in 5, 10, 15, and 20 years.

Online journalism is forever.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Diogenes

Quote from: polly_mer on May 10, 2020, 10:22:51 AM
What is your question?

Remember, readers at home, successful grad students spend their summers on comps and research for the dissertation.

With the rampant anti-science and anti-intellectualism in our society that is literally killing thousands right now, we need to get out of the ivory tower and engage the world more.  Academia should take much of the blame when PhDs are coming out of their programs having absolutely no idea how to do that.

adel9216

I've written perhaps a dozen and work with colleagues who write them also.  If your op-ed is professionally related, I recommend showing it around to people in your network.  Send them a draft and ask if they could spend five minutes looking it over.  I'm gotten really good feedback that way about how to clarify and sharpen my point.  What is your question?

I have published multiple op-eds before, but in my mothertongue. This time, it'd be in English. So I need someone to revise to make sure it's clear, jargon-free, accessible. Sometimes, some things are obvious for people in the same field but aren't for people who are reading the newspaper. But I have contacted the Media office from my university and they will take a look at it! They responded back to me a few hours after I have emailed them. I've also asked for feedback from a fellow professor.

adel9216

Quote from: mamselle on May 10, 2020, 10:24:32 AM
Be sure you say well-researched things that you don't see coming back to bite you in 5, 10, 15, and 20 years.

Online journalism is forever.

M.

I'm well aware of that.

I never publish stuff that I would profoundly be not comfortable with in 5, 10, 15, 20 years. I check and re-check every sentence and claim to make sure it is accurate, that there are sources for it, and that I am able to defend it if I am being asked on it later on. I take this with a lot of seriousness, not only for my credibility but also because I feel like people should be informed through rigorous and fact-checked research and claims (which I find is lacking a lot in our media ecosystem).

Everything that I make public is stuff that I am not ashamed of and don't think it could harm me or be used against me. Of course, there's always things I'd improve, but nothing major or highly problematic. And most people in my field (professors, research centers, fellow grad students, etc.) congratulate me whenever I am published so I guess I'm on the right track, even if there's always room for improvement. I do think it's important for researchers to explain their work and research to the general public. I actually think it's a responsability.

And women tend to be scared to speak up in the media. I try to combat that as well. I've got something to say, I felt inspired to write something this morning, and I feel like I have enough knowledge to explain it to the general public. So I don't see why I should remain silent.

Basically, the op-ed would elaborate on some elements I mentionned in a radio interview I did last week. I've received a lot of positive feedback on that interview while I was worried about my performance. But the feedback I received gave me the courage to write something. It's already written. I did the writing this morning, it took me 1 hour. I just need someone to revise it in terms of grammar, sentence structure, jargon, etc. and give feedback before I submit it.

It's hard to write effectively and concisely in 700 words though in a second language. Especially when you're trying to explain something quite complex.

But we'll see what the media's office will tell me. It doesn't mean I'll be published though, but I'll give it a try.

adel9216

Quote from: Diogenes on May 10, 2020, 11:35:16 AM
Quote from: polly_mer on May 10, 2020, 10:22:51 AM
What is your question?

With the rampant anti-science and anti-intellectualism in our society that is literally killing thousands right now, we need to get out of the ivory tower and engage the world more.  Academia should take much of the blame when PhDs are coming out of their programs having absolutely no idea how to do that.

I cannot stress how much I agree with you.

I've taken workshops on op-ed writings in the past because I feel like it's a responsability to make our research and knowledge known to the general public. Otherwise, I feel like my work is kinda pointless and useless. Or that I am just talking to myself (intellectual masturbation).

We all know that there's only going to be three to four people (including me) who will be reading my doctoral thesis. The point of a doctoral thesis is to show that you can conduct research independantly in a rigourous manner. But I still feel like that knowledge should be translated in other accessible formats as well.

And this is something I want to keep on doing throughout my career.

It's a bit stressful at first, but the more you do it, the more you get used to it even though the feeling of being little nervous never goes away. But I don't think that nervousness should go away, because it'd mean that I am too confident about what I do which is a huuuuuge red flag in my opinion. We should always question ourselves, especially as researchers.

marshwiggle

Quote from: adel9216 on May 10, 2020, 12:31:58 PM
I take this with a lot of seriousness, not only for my credibility but also because I feel like people should be informed through rigorous and fact-checked research and claims (which I find is lacking a lot in our media ecosystem).

What are you; some kind of fanatic?

Just tell me who (or what) I'm supposed to be outraged about at the moment and that's good enough.
It takes so little to be above average.

adel9216

Quote from: marshwiggle on May 10, 2020, 01:28:58 PM
I take this with a lot of seriousness, not only for my credibility but also because I feel like people should be informed through rigorous and fact-checked research and claims (which I find is lacking a lot in our media ecosystem).

Just tell me who (or what) I'm supposed to be outraged about at the moment and that's good enough.

Hum, I am unsure I understand your comment...

Juvenal

Quote from: adel9216 on May 10, 2020, 01:39:01 PM
Quote from: marshwiggle on May 10, 2020, 01:28:58 PM

Hum, I am unsure I understand your comment...

Wishey-washed?  What's not to be outraged about?  I can mention that American Dogwood (no Chinese imposter, pathogen-drenched) is in fine bloom outside my living room window.  I can be positive about that.  Other things?  Need to think on.
Cranky septuagenarian

spork

Quote from: adel9216 on May 10, 2020, 12:36:37 PM

[. . .]

[. . . ]

Career in what?

Are you looking for someone to copy edit? That costs money. You'll be spending money on product that doesn't generate income if it sells.

I wrote for an alternative local weekly paper while a doctoral student. Did it help me finish my dissertation or help me get my first full-time academic job? No. Did I earn any money from it? No.

I wrote op-eds for a newspaper while an assistant professor. Did it help me get tenure? No. Did I earn any money from it? No.

Take a look at Sarah Kendzior. She's a successful writer with two books. But, assuming my reading of the chronology is correct, this became her career after she completed a PhD and did not get a full-time academic job.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

bacardiandlime

Quote from: spork on May 10, 2020, 02:48:37 PM
Quote from: adel9216 on May 10, 2020, 12:36:37 PM

[. . .]

[. . . ]

Career in what?

Are you looking for someone to copy edit? That costs money. You'll be spending money on product that doesn't generate income if it sells.

I wrote for an alternative local weekly paper while a doctoral student. Did it help me finish my dissertation or help me get my first full-time academic job? No. Did I earn any money from it? No.

I wrote op-eds for a newspaper while an assistant professor. Did it help me get tenure? No. Did I earn any money from it? No.

Take a look at Sarah Kendzior. She's a successful writer with two books. But, assuming my reading of the chronology is correct, this became her career after she completed a PhD and did not get a full-time academic job.

Quite. I've seen a few people disappointed that their op-eds, outreach publications etc didn't count when it came time for tenure and promotion. This stuff can be good in its own right, but don't let it get in the way of your academic publication.

adel9216

I'm well aware that op-eds are not what's worth the most in academia. I do it because I feel it's a civic responsability. However, I never said that I would not do academic publications. It wouldn't make sense to not write academic publications when I want to be an academic. I work on academic publications as well and already have a first-authored publication in review for which I should know the outcome in a couple of days/weeks.

Most of my op-eds are unpaid as you all know it's mostly volunteer work, but it did happen that I got paid for them too. It doesn't pay my rent, of course, but I still feel it's something that must be done. That's my philosophy as a researcher. It has nothing to do with being a graduate student or not. Research has to be made accessible to a wide audience. And I have an array of experiences that do qualify me to comment on some news events from times to times, and if they're related to the experiences I've had.

I also want to mention that this is something I have been doing for many years. I did not start building links with media yesterday, out of the blue.

And maybe this is field specific but I do know multiple graduate students who publish op-eds from times to times. And it's encouraged and nobody finds that irresponsible or unethical. And these students are also aware that academic publications are also important, if not more if they want a teaching position.

;-)

adel9216

spork, I have people who have volunteered to take a look at it. It's 700 words... I wouldn't pay for that. Especially since its minor editing.