Main Menu

Question on op-eds for the media

Started by adel9216, May 10, 2020, 08:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: adel9216 on May 10, 2020, 01:39:01 PM
Quote from: marshwiggle on May 10, 2020, 01:28:58 PM
Quote from: adel9216 on May 10, 2020, 12:31:58 PM
I take this with a lot of seriousness, not only for my credibility but also because I feel like people should be informed through rigorous and fact-checked research and claims (which I find is lacking a lot in our media ecosystem).

What are you; some kind of fanatic?

Just tell me who (or what) I'm supposed to be outraged about at the moment and that's good enough.

Hum, I am unsure I understand your comment...

I didn't put a smiley on it; I thought the second line would indicate the sarcasm. Outrage has replaced rigorous and fact-checked research and claims in a lot of media, including "journalism", sadly.
It takes so little to be above average.

adel9216

Quote from: marshwiggle on May 10, 2020, 03:02:12 PM
Quote from: adel9216 on May 10, 2020, 01:39:01 PM
I take this with a lot of seriousness, not only for my credibility but also because I feel like people should be informed through rigorous and fact-checked research and claims (which I find is lacking a lot in our media ecosystem).

Just tell me who (or what) I'm supposed to be outraged about at the moment and that's good enough.

Hum, I am unsure I understand your comment...

I didn't put a smiley on it; I thought the second line would indicate the sarcasm. Outrage has replaced rigorous and fact-checked research and claims in a lot of media, including "journalism", sadly.

Oh okay. I wasn't sure if it was sarcasm because I don't know you very much, so I felt confused. But I totally agree with you.

spork

Quote from: adel9216 on May 10, 2020, 02:59:52 PM

spork, I have people who have volunteered to take a look at it. It's 700 words... I wouldn't pay for that. Especially since its minor editing.

So why did you ask your question?
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

adel9216

Quote from: spork on May 10, 2020, 04:10:38 PM
Quote from: adel9216 on May 10, 2020, 02:59:52 PM

spork, I have people who have volunteered to take a look at it. It's 700 words... I wouldn't pay for that. Especially since its minor editing.

So why did you ask your question?

To see if someone in here could take a quick look at my op-ed but I found two people in the meantime!

Wahoo Redux

Smart.  It is not a bad idea, in this day and age, to have a secondary skill-set.  Get your name out there.

And despite what some people will tell you, these look good on a CV.   
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

writingprof

No, but seriously, 99% of the people on these fora should avoid putting their opinions in writing. Sing with me if you know the words: "You're all bigots by tomorrow's standards!"