Is stress after your first publication normal?

Started by mr_triangles, July 03, 2020, 04:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_triangles

Hey all,

I am a computer science (but really math) Ph.D. student.  I just finished my first two years, which consisted mostly of required coursework, and I am submitting my first paper with my adviser in the next few days.  Although I am excited about my paper, I am also more stressed than ever.

As I approach submission, I start thinking "am I doing as well as other students in my area?", "what if this is the only problem I'll ever be able to solve?", "if I do manage to solve more problems and get my Ph.D., what if I get a faculty position and my research dries up and I can't get tenure?"

I will be fully focusing on research next semester and I have to write a review of literature for the area I want to focus on.  I am also attending my second conference (online) with professors in that same area.  My hope is that by the end of the semester I will have knowledge of open problems that I can make progress on and connections with professors to keep my research going after my Ph.D.  Still, I can't help but worry that I am too far behind everyone else or that I have already peaked.  Is this a normal feeling at my level?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Ruralguy

Yes, and I published my first article 30 years ago.

traductio

I'm in a completely different field where books are the coin of the realm. I've published three, plus about three dozen articles. That's well above the norm for my field. After every single one -- really, every. single. one. -- I say to myself, what if that's it?

Your apprehension is completely normal. The thing I've learned over time is to have confidence -- blind faith, really -- that I have more to say, more to figure out. It's something I know intellectually, whereas the anxiety you describe is something I feel in my gut. The gut feeling is stronger, but the more deliberate, cerebral confidence (or blind faith) is what gets me to the next project.

It'll get you there, too.

fizzycist

I don't know what is normal, but this is a lousy time to think about all that stuff. You have plenty of time to confront those issued later.

For now, go get your favorite takeout and beverages, sit down (or video chat) with your friends/loved ones and celebrate!

Submitting your first academic paper is a tremendous accomplishment and I encourage you to take great pride in this and brag about it as much as you want (well, to everyone except the other students who havent gotten there yet).

jerseyjay

I stress out for every publication (I am a historian and now have about 20 articles and a book). Did I do enough research in the literature? Did I make a stupid mistake? Is my writing clear?

I am in the process of submitting the final m.s. for my (second) book. I have been delaying it for a couple days because of nervousness. Since it is the fourth of July, and my editor is on holiday, it really doesn't matter so long as  turn it in next week. But my point is I think there is always nervousness.

None of my publications, in fact, is perfect. But they really aren't supposed to be perfect.

So it is okay to be nervous. But don't let that you proceed with your career. These have passed muster with peer reviewers which, while not perfect by any means, indicate that your peers think you are worthy of being a published scholar.