News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Asking for endorsements?

Started by Seeker123, July 10, 2020, 04:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seeker123

Hello. I have a book coming out and want to ask some senior scholars for endorsements. I know most of them through email correspondence/SM. How do I go about doing this? Any suggestions on what to avoid?

I asked one who knows me and he hasn't responded which is leaving me feeling a bit rejected.

Ruralguy

Have the publisher do this on you behalf.

Parasaurolophus

I thought the publisher usually did this, generally by excerpting the referees' positive reviews?
I know it's a genus.

Seeker123

This is my first book so I have no idea. I like an idiot emailed 3 of them and so far silence. The publisher told me to contact them. But if they don't respond in a few days I'll tell the publisher to contact others.

Ruralguy

They know they ll have to read it , be pressured to make positive comments, so most will say no on those grounds or just not reply. It's hard to get anyone consequential to endorse.

pink_

The only thing to avoid is taking it personally if they say no. We all have way too much to do right now, so it's likely that many people will be unwilling or unable to add something else to their plate, even if they respect your work and/or really like you.

tiva

Usually, you'd do this through your acquisition editor. If you know someone personally, then the editor might ask you to contact them directly, but typically the editor sends the queries (in part to avoid the hurt feelings you have right now!)