Poll on professor's productivity when forced to work from home

Started by Aster, June 22, 2020, 06:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HomunculusParty

Quote from: mamselle on June 24, 2020, 04:28:55 PM
I don't think this has been posted yet:

https://www.wired.com/story/screen-share-a-college-teachers-zoom-journal-anne-fadiman/

I love Anne Fadiman! I always remember the essay from Ex Libris about her and her partner consolidating book collections based on whose copies had the most significant annotations. Thanks for posting this.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

0susanna

I can work from home, but the cats inevitably interrupt me as soon as I get into something that requires real attention, like writing or grading--which is pretty much everything that qualifies as "work." If I shut them out of the room, they scratch up the carpet. They're not like children, of course, but still distracting.

It's difficult to get research projects started at home, because a lot of books that I refer to, often randomly, are on my office shelves. I can't carry them all home because I don't know if or when I'll want them, and most of them aren't online through our library. I tend to work somewhat randomly until I get into the flow of a project, and home holds many more distractions than my campus office.

Thankfully, faculty at My University have been allowed to use their offices throughout the pandemic--I rarely see another person on campus or in the building.

Aster

Working from home, I keep forgetting which day of the week it is.

Not surprisingly, a lot of my students who were forced into remote classes have been reporting similar difficulties.

Every day is Taco Bell.

Sun_Worshiper

Overall I've had a productive summer, but lagging a bit lately.  Not sure if this is due to the pandemic or because I'm just at that point in the summer where the lack of structure starts to slow me down.