News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Is it arrogant for me to do this ?

Started by adel9216, August 20, 2020, 12:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruralguy

Nobody suffers except maybe jealous do nothings.

Solution: do something.

fourhats

QuoteIn the collective, a win for one is a win for all.

When I was a department chair, and later a dean, I would have been surprised and unhappy if I didn't know that one of our faculty had won a major award.

1. I'd want to congratulate them.

2. The award makes the department look good--"hey provost, our department is doing great things! We're worth every penny."'

3. It makes the college/university look great to the wider world: "We have an award-winning faculty!"

Also, presumably much of the work was done using university resources (labs, libraries, databases, facilities). Awards are a return on investment, a lure to students, and a point of pride for everyone. I would definitely expect a faculty member to share this news, which gives everyone bragging rights--and pleasure. And, as said above, you are part of a profession that thrives on accomplishments.

polly_mer

Quote from: Ruralguy on August 21, 2020, 12:23:00 PM
Nobody suffers except maybe jealous do nothings.

Solution: do something.

That might be a little harsh.

Another example that came to mind is getting notice that someone graduated.  It's not bad bragging on the part of the graduate; it's notification of a standard milestone that the community celebrates for its members.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Vkw10

The best departments where I've learned, taught, and led all had traditions for sharing achievements.

Three decades ago, their was a Good News box in the department office. Students and faculty dropped copies of their award letters, article acceptances, fellowships, scholarships, and such. Those copies became part of a regularly updated display case and led to newsletter articles, press releases, and alumni magazine features.

Two decades ago, it was an email list with the traditional subject line of "Scored one more for the team!" Everyone used it to report items that the administrative assistant would add to the department report. The chair selected items to report up to the dean, with copies to university marketing.

At my current department, students email advisors and faculty email chair with achievements. The recipient posts on department mailing list, using the traditional subject of "Please join me in congratulating NAME".  We have a student worker who tweets and posts on Facebook and adds to webpage. I forward selected items to the dean and marketing.

These traditions are part of celebrating our accomplishments. Faculty in good departments congratulate each other and encourage their students to achieve so they can participate. In unhappy departments, faculty don't bother sharing.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)