Salary and raises, how are these calculated?

Started by AJ_Katz, September 15, 2020, 07:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

I htink that VKW's answer if the best, for the question asked.

You have a zero year in your raises, and the other party has one extra raise.

Just think about an average. Your average includes a zero and the other parties has a big number (promotion raise) where yours has a zero.  Even if your raises have been bigger (by how much is not specified, it likely does not overcome the zero year.)

I would note that most raises here are 'across the board' or very, very close.  In my earlier years here, the department got a raise pool (of dollars) to be allocated over all faculty, which was often done by a percentage of the salaries, and then the remainder was added to the 'better performing' faculty.  So for example the ones that got raises averaged say 2.5%, but the highest performers might get 2.6  or 2.7%  (barely worth the extra work required for such a 'distinct honor'.  Now, IF you get an evaluation of 'standard' (one step above below standard), then you qualify for a raise.  Those with high or excellent may qualify for a higher raise, but there is never money above for such raises!

WHAT CAN YoU Do About IT?
If the difference is substantial, ask the chair to speak to the dean about a salary adjustment.  (In years of no raises you will get nothing more than sympathy, IF that).
Find another job.  Your resentment will only increase  (NOTE that this is the reason I have not looked at salary information for some time.  IF you are satisfied with your pay, that sould be enough.  Dont try to evaluate your relative merit when there is no way you can be unbiased about your own worth!)
Get a job offer an try to counter.  THis can be played once, maybe twice, but be prepared to leave if they say "congratulations, we will miss you!"
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader