News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

So adjuncts have zero right?

Started by hamburger, September 15, 2020, 03:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polly_mer

Why are you even still talking to this place?

What progress have you made on any of the numerous suggestions we've made on how to get a different job?

You don't have a job there and now that the bottom has fallen out of everything, you won't be getting any calls even as a last-minute, we-hate-you-but-even-you-are-better-than-cancelling-courses-currently-in-progress replacement.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

hamburger

Quote from: mahagonny on September 15, 2020, 07:12:07 PM
Quote from: hamburger on September 15, 2020, 06:53:03 PM
Quote from: clean on September 15, 2020, 05:00:15 PM
QuoteThis again? Part-time academic work is a dead end. Find an occupation that pays better and has better working conditions.

Im not sure that full time academic employment has much future either! 
Furloughs
pay cuts
benefit cuts
classes cancelled.
scheduled shuffled (teaching additional classes) 
additional demands on time (additional administrative assignments)(with no additional pay)
No pay raises (even COL raises)
The current situation is barely a reflection of the industry that I was first hired into.

But for the OP:
IF you are not looking out for YOU, then NO ONE is. 
THE CC wont hire you IF you work for another place?  Take the jobs that PAY you and dont worry about the ones that dont, or threaten not to pay you for taking ones that do!!

BUT I bet that per hour, your wage as an adjunct is barely more than one would get as a new graduate with a BA.  Perhaps it is time to 'enter the work force' just like a new graduate.

This department does not even want to hire people if they work for another department in the same CC. They told me that if I work for another department, I have to let them know. They just openly told me that they don't want people to have enough hours to move to the next level to have benefits.

No you don't. People forget to do things all the time.
So they are relying on adjunct faculty to tell them where else you are working. Just don't tell them. They obviously have some of the same  people doing courses in multiple departments to some degree, probably because for what they pay there isn't a great big pool of applicants. Otherwise there wouldn't be any conversations about it. They're trying to keep the levels low enough so the union won't get any more people eligible. But don't help them with their problems. Help yourself with yours.
Of course your school is a dump run by a bunch of clowns and I hope you can find a better one to teach in. But a general tip: I don't know why you confide in these administrators. They're not your friends. Better to talk to other adjuncts.

The thing is that hiring managers talk to each other and from what the Union people told me, they could find out easily even if I don't tell them.

hamburger

Quote from: polly_mer on September 16, 2020, 04:08:14 AM

What progress have you made on any of the numerous suggestions we've made on how to get a different job?

You don't have a job there and now that the bottom has fallen out of everything, you won't be getting any calls even as a last-minute, we-hate-you-but-even-you-are-better-than-cancelling-courses-currently-in-progress replacement.

Last year, they announced that they were establishing a new institute in a big building. They actually moved all existing departments in that building to another campus. It was supposed to create tones of new opportunities so it gave me hope. Then, the pandemic came and I also found out that hiring is not up to the Head of the new institute but depending on the Department Heads of different departments.

In the summer, there were a few job advertisements for this new institute but they were all part-time jobs with zero benefits nor protection from the union.

polly_mer

This place has no job for you.  The advice remains to move on to look for a job.

mahagonny

Quote from: hamburger on September 16, 2020, 05:00:20 AM
The thing is that hiring managers talk to each other and from what the Union people told me, they could find out easily even if I don't tell them.

They could but there's a good chance they won't get around to it. Regardless the truth is you don't have employment in another department. It could be canceled at any time. It's not really a job until it happens. None of it is. Even if it's happening they could probably kick you out with one week's notice. Anyway they don't have the right to enlist your help to bust the union.

mahagonny

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, union busting managers like you are a big part of the reason hamburger's school is such a cesspool to work for.

lightning

Quote from: mahagonny on September 15, 2020, 06:33:19 PM
Quote from: lightning on September 15, 2020, 05:55:34 PM
Hamburger, many of us told you to move on to a different career. It's your only option.

That's just it. It's not their only option. They can continue the way they've been, and fall on the safety net if tit comes to that. And there are people who are counting on their doing that, and there are people who could do something to affect change but they won't.
The hope is not that everyone will stop this way of life. The hope is more likely that people who come to the forum and talk about it, or write pieces for The Chronicle or Slate or wherever, will go away and be replaced by those too embarrassed to talk about it.

Quote from: Aster on September 15, 2020, 04:59:42 PM
Yes. It is very much "temp" work. Hired today. Fired tomorrow. Hired the next day somewhere else, or maybe hired the next day at the same place. No job security. It sucks, but the U.S. allows it.

I know things are better for adjunct ('sessional') faculty in Canada, but I'm not sure how the law plays a role.
Idea for legislation: no college may initiate a contract less than four weeks before the first meeting of class. That way no one preps for the class without getting paid, which should be seen as a violation of minimum wage law.

The most vile aspect of this is the kinds of people who are sometimes attracted to middle management. Who think these kinds of places are fun.

Since hamburger is persisting I suggest, next time you're talking with the chair find a way to nonchalantly mention that you hate unions as you were once ripped off by one. Or just be overheard saying it to a third party. After you get enough hours on your schedule (if that happens) join the union and take full advantage.

OK, then. Find others that share your same situation and frustration. Go on strike. That's another option. It sounds like you and others like you have nothing to lose, so why not? At the very least, you will poison the well for those that wronged you. Go on strike or find another career. Just don't come back here and whine about the same things over and over again.

polly_mer

Quote from: mahagonny on September 16, 2020, 06:23:09 AM

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, union busting managers like you are a big part of the reason hamburger's school is such a cesspool to work for.

Perhaps you haven't followed the whole hamburger saga.  This place has a faculty union and zero standards for faculty or students.  This institution is in the business of ripping off international students who are gaming an immigration system.  They are not a higher ed institution in the business of education.

From the first term when Hamburger asked advice, it was clear that Hamburger was a poor match.  The bets at that time were that Hamburger would not get renewed.  The entire saga over a couple years now is Hamburger not getting a good contract, but gets called as the emergency hire after the last minute.  With the international enrollment down, there probably aren't any last minute needs.

As for just not telling hiring managers about other jobs on campus, those managers will find out when HR applies the relevant loads and the budget gets charged for benefits.  The managers want a heads up so they can decide if that's how they want to spent the budget.  It's not just some courtesy; it's real money that will hit the budget.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mahagonny on September 15, 2020, 06:33:19 PM

I know things are better for adjunct ('sessional') faculty in Canada, but I'm not sure how the law plays a role.

Universal healthcare and things of that nature make things better for everyone to begin with. And universities are all public, so wages are more uniform. But many still complain.....

Idea for legislation: no college may initiate a contract less than four weeks before the first meeting of class. That way no one preps for the class without getting paid, which should be seen as a violation of minimum wage law.

What about (as happened to me) the person who agreed to teach dropped out a few days before the term started, so I got called in? There are all kinds of unavoidable last minute situations.

It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: polly_mer on September 16, 2020, 07:02:39 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on September 16, 2020, 06:23:09 AM

Perhaps you haven't followed the whole hamburger saga.  This place has a faculty union and zero standards for faculty or students.  This institution is in the business of ripping off international students who are gaming an immigration system.  They are not a higher ed institution in the business of education.

From the first term when Hamburger asked advice, it was clear that Hamburger was a poor match.  The bets at that time were that Hamburger would not get renewed.  The entire saga over a couple years now is Hamburger not getting a good contract, but gets called as the emergency hire after the last minute.  With the international enrollment down, there probably aren't any last minute needs.

As for just not telling hiring managers about other jobs on campus, those managers will find out when HR applies the relevant loads and the budget gets charged for benefits.  The managers want a heads up so they can decide if that's how they want to spent the budget.  It's not just some courtesy; it's real money that will hit the budget.

I see. So your point is have a little consideration for the thieves. I still say you don't have a course just because someone says you could, or you might get one, and anyway I would not voluntarily help people keep me away from legitimately earned benefits in this instance. Guess I like to live dangerously.

Quote from: lightning on September 16, 2020, 06:31:32 AM

OK, then. Find others that share your same situation and frustration. Go on strike. That's another option. It sounds like you and others like you have nothing to lose, so why not? At the very least, you will poison the well for those that wronged you. Go on strike or find another career. Just don't come back here and whine about the same things over and over again.

I would but Polly invited me here. You hate to disappoint your friends.

QuoteUniversal healthcare and things of that nature make things better for everyone to begin with. And universities are all public, so wages are more uniform. But many still complain.....

And this complaining costs you...in what way?

Ruralguy

You have no rights that are worth trying to access to your benefit.

The energy is best spent looking for other work.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 16, 2020, 07:06:49 AM

What about (as happened to me) the person who agreed to teach dropped out a few days before the term started, so I got called in? There are all kinds of unavoidable last minute situations.

Agreeing to be available in the event that a course runs is not having a contract. He didn't renege on a commitment. He just changed his plans. Which is something you volunteer for when you deal with prospective employees that way.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mahagonny on September 16, 2020, 07:47:07 AM

Agreeing to be available in the event that a course runs is not having a contract. He didn't renege on a commitment. He just changed his plans. Which is something you volunteer for when you deal with prospective employees that way.

I don't know whether he signed a contract or not. It makes no difference to my situation either way. It would be the same if the person got killed in a car accident; if the course needs to be taught, someone will need to be offered a contract with less than 4 weeks' notice.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 16, 2020, 07:56:59 AM

I don't know whether he signed a contract or not. It makes no difference to my situation either way. It would be the same if the person got killed in a car accident; if the course needs to be taught, someone will need to be offered a contract with less than 4 weeks' notice.

If only you had mentioned someone getting killed and people needing to be recruited at the last minute. Of course, that's why you can't get your contract by the first of August. They don't know yet whether you're going to get killed in the interim. I can see why they're so cautious now. OK, you need an exemption from the rule because of extenuating circumstances, fine.
Why am I not surprised when you  never side with employee rights?

marshwiggle

Quote from: mahagonny on September 16, 2020, 08:03:46 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on September 16, 2020, 07:56:59 AM

If only you had mentioned someone getting killed and people needing to be recruited at the last minute. Of course, that's why you can't get your contract by the first of August. They don't know yet whether you're going to get killed in the interim. I can see why they're so cautious now. OK, you need an exemption from the rule because of extenuating circumstances, fine.
Why am I not surprised when you  never side with employee rights?

As other people here have suggested, if an employer is pulling stuff like this (only offering contracts at the last minute), I'd choose not to work for them. No matter where you draw the legal line, there will always be those would push right up to the edge of it. The rational person avoids associating with them, rather than railing about how obnoxious their behaviour is.