Need to know what to say to colleague when he is denied tenure next week

Started by quercus, March 21, 2021, 08:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: quercus on June 21, 2021, 09:13:56 AM

Third, the first two pieces of advice are basically incompatible with each other. It is VERY DIFFICULT to interact with someone who is experiencing pain, frustration, bitterness; someone who is asking himself without cease, "how did this happen? why am I in this situation?" ...and respond compassionately without seeming to support, oppose, confirm, or deny aspects of the decision. It is quite a tightrope to walk.

I think this is what happens with friends of both members of a couple who is breaking up/divorcing.

Glad to see that things seem to have turned out for the best.
It takes so little to be above average.

Ruralguy

Remember this:

Just because it absolutely sucks to be denied tenure (or be fired from any job, especially if you are doing reasonably well, but just not up tp a particular standard) does not mean that the candidate deserved tenure. This is especially true if they are a "mission mis-match" as you have indicated, Quercus.

It also suck to be the one to tell the person they aren't getting it, or be put in the middle an doubt be able to explain much.

But this seems to be a case of the system working.  Just because the system worked doesn't mean that some people won't be upset. You just can't please everybody.

clean

As I noted earlier, my experience is that it has usually worked out for the best for both the university and the candidate.  He got a better matching job and your university will find a better fitting faculty member. 
Fortunately, the candidate go the job quickly.  Being in a terminal year is not ideal for either side! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Hibush

Thanks for the report back. A line commonly used in the negative decisions is "the candidate is likely to have greater success in a different position." While that is something of an ego-sparing euphemism, sometimes it is spot on. That appears to be the case for this person.

Ruralguy

Honestly, there's no way of knowing at this point whether any future position will be better. But you can know that his career where you are would not have been great. You can know that other jobs seemingly match his goals better. So, all you can do is wish him the best and treat people well whether or not they get tenure.