News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Added value of doing a postdoc

Started by adel9216, May 31, 2021, 07:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adel9216

Hello!
I have one question. What is the plus value of doing a postdoctorate? I am considering doing a post-doc in another field from my current one, to gain complementary experience on my research expertise. But is it always worth it?

Thanks.

ciao_yall

Ruralguy

The answer to "is it *always* worth it?" Is of course "no" because nothing is always so, but for a proper answer you'll have to give us a little more without being too identifying of yourself.

In most sciences it's probably worth it up to maybe 5 years, and then it should probably only be strictly worth it as a post doc if it's more prestigious, giving you enviable skills, etc..

Out of the sciences, I don't know, but likely is also a prestige thing.

But we all need to eat, so sometimes go over on these recommended times unless we have other potions.

Parasaurolophus

In the humanities, it gives you another year or two to try being on the market and publish like crazy so that you can get a job. It also gives you at least one new reference (hopefully very fancy) and a new institutional affiliation (hopefully very fancy).

In a discipline with few jobs, it's not usually worth taking a postdoc over a permanent job (although if you're offered both and the job is somewhere fancy, you can often defer your start date to accomodate the postdoc). In a discipline with many jobs, things will be different.
I know it's a genus.

Mobius

Humanities and social sciences job markets are rough. You usually take the TT over a post-doc if offered both. Take the post-doc or VAP if that's all you're offered.

ergative

Quote from: Mobius on May 31, 2021, 10:16:49 PM
Humanities and social sciences job markets are rough. You usually take the TT over a post-doc if offered both. Take the post-doc or VAP if that's all you're offered.

Yes--but also it's probably better to take a post-doc over a VAP if your goal is to acquire new research skills. Make sure you are not just treading water and waiting for another chance on next year's job market. Improve yourself while you wait.

VAPs can offer opportunities for upskilling if you're low on teaching experience from your PhD years, but in my experience preparing new classes is exhausting work, and takes up much more time than acquiring new research skills. If you're teaching full time in a VAP, you're going to be working much harder to acquire (let's face it) a less-valued skill on the TT job market, so in that domain a post-doc is better.

jerseyjay

As has been mentioned, it is impossible to answer without knowing more details. A postdoc is not "always worth it," but then again, very little is "always worth it". Some things to consider:

Have you actually been offered a postdoc, or are you just thinking of applying?

Is the postdoc the only thing you have lined up? Or do you have to choose between a postdoc and a tenure track job at a R1?? A tenure track job at a community college? Between working at McDonalds and a postdoc?

What is your field? Sciences or social sciences or humanities? And what do you mean by "another field"? Another branch of the same discipline? An entirely different field?

Where are you in your career? Did you just earn your PhD or have you been out there for a couple years?

What does the postdoc consist of? Working in a lab? Teaching three classes?

And also, what are your career goals? Anything that pays the bills? The tenure track at a R1? A lab job in industry?

Ruralguy

Assuming it's an up or out sort of decision, one more post doc covering one more sub discipline isn't likely to   
be the key to the next job, whether it be teaching, research or just any other job. That doesn't mean that it's useless. It can be very useful, just not an obvious value added in most cases.Similar with the VAP example. Not the general key that opens the TT lock, but can be quite useful in giving teaching experience, mentoring experience and just a sense of how some of academia works.

Morden

Based on your previous messages, I thought you were working on your dissertation. Are you to close to finishing now?

mleok

A postdoc is potentially "worth it" if you get publications out of the experience that enhance your employability. Conversely, short duration postdocs where you have to start applying for the next job the moment you arrive are only potentially worthwhile if the alternative is unemployment.

Ruralguy

Yes, whether or not some job is "worth it" is always dependent on what the alternative is likely to be and whether or not you find the alternative palatable.

But if the question is just about value added without considering general employment issues, then probably most add "something" (with the "something" being a publication or highly valued skill). Probably 1 year in  the same post-doc is likely to add more than a 1 year post-doc in something totally new. A 2 year post-doc in something new, especially if it is prestigious, is much more likely to be beneficial. But, yeah, there's going to be a point of diminishing returns most likely. In the sciences, that seems to be roughly at the three year-ish point. More than 5 is likely to yield income and maybe a couple of more papers, but probably not a plum tenure track job.