Move course from Blackboard to Google Classroom or another LMS what will import.

Started by pebeed, May 25, 2021, 11:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pebeed

Long story, not getting into the details.  I have a Blackboard CourseSite with 3 courses on it which are accessed by other instructors.  We have done this for more than 5 years.  Now, Blackboard is getting rid of CourseSites because it was free.  And, I need to get my classes out of there and into something else.  It needs to be an LMS and it needs to be free.  There are no students.

Any suggestions for a LMS what will take my Blackboard export and then upload?  Or is there a website where I can get it done for a modest price?

Thank you -

Caracal

Quote from: pebeed on May 25, 2021, 11:34:51 AM
Long story, not getting into the details.  I have a Blackboard CourseSite with 3 courses on it which are accessed by other instructors.  We have done this for more than 5 years.  Now, Blackboard is getting rid of CourseSites because it was free.  And, I need to get my classes out of there and into something else.  It needs to be an LMS and it needs to be free.  There are no students.

Any suggestions for a LMS what will take my Blackboard export and then upload?  Or is there a website where I can get it done for a modest price?

Thank you -

When the university I teach at switched from Moodle to Canvas, you could import the courses over, so its definitely possible.

I'm a little confused about what the point of having classes on an LMS is if there aren't any students. Isn't it just a collection of files then?

the_geneticist

Moodle and Canvas are both free.  Personally, I really dislike Moodle since it's really clunky and hard to navigate. 
Most, but not all, content on Blackboard can be moved to canvas.  Things that move easily: links to videos, .pdf files, announcements.  Things that don't always move properly: quizzes, assignments, surveys, etc.  Things that don't move: quiz pools, certain types of quiz questions (like "file response"), gradebook columns.

Biologist_

Quote from: Caracal on May 25, 2021, 11:59:38 AM
Quote from: pebeed on May 25, 2021, 11:34:51 AM

Thank you -

When the university I teach at switched from Moodle to Canvas, you could import the courses over, so its definitely possible.

I'm a little confused about what the point of having classes on an LMS is if there aren't any students. Isn't it just a collection of files then?

Files are easy to move or store in some other format, but there may be assessments (either formative or summative) as well as files. I have a huge number of practice questions in an LMS, so switching is a major task. Our most recent switch of LMS cost me at least 200 hours of work.

For the OP: is there a Blackboard export format so that you can export the class now and import it into another LMS later?

But maybe that wouldn't help much...

pebeed

Yes - it is a collection of files - but it is set up in modules so that the instructors can see what goes together and how they sequence.  Blackboard does have a file export and class export, but there are issues.  The Class Export will only export to another blackboard shell.  The file export gets things like attached powerpoints, handouts, etc, but it doesn't capture the items that were typed in or the rubrics.

I have copies of the classes on my college LMS so I am not in danger of losing them.

I don't have 200 hours to move stuff - And I know that colleges change LMS so there is technology somewhere.  But this is looking more and more it won't transfer over.