News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Consulting

Started by research_prof, July 16, 2021, 07:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

You may need to be judicious in the order you have these conversations.

From what I know, again, at one remove, the fellow I worked for most closely would probably have checked within the school first, and while doing so, would have asked if there were any red flags he should be aware of when later taking with the grantmakers, etc.

He'd then have gone to the international folks we had MOUs with, and the global funders.

Circling outwards, I think he called it.

At the same time, he often had backdoor conversations with the people that reported to him on the ground in the various sites, to take the local temperatures there as well...he was very canny, my guv'nor.....

But the idea as I understood it was to proceed in such a way as to be sure that at each step, he had assurances and not surprises along the way.

It also helped thst he was a gregarious, larger-than-life fellow with astounding stories to tell, so people understood why he would be asked to consult, present, etc.

He allayed a lot of suspicion in some very weird, unlikely situations just by being unfailingly genial and transparent, all the time.

In a different setting, when I scheduled consultants, all the paperwork described above had to be in order before they could step foot on the property.

So, start trailing the paper first.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

fuwafuwa

$100-$200/hr would be far too low for most science fields.

research_prof

Quote from: fuwafuwa on July 21, 2021, 10:34:10 PM
$100-$200/hr would be far too low for most science fields.

So, what would be the typical cost per hour of consulting for science fields?