Academic Issues or Problems--over and underrated

Started by Myword, August 05, 2021, 10:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myword

So which academic issues in your field, or a related one, do you think are overdone too much (overrated) and which are underrated or unaddressed, recently?   You will not be outed if you mention the broad subject. Thousands of professors are in history, biology, philosophy or psychology, etc. You don't have to be very specific.

I will start. Wittgenstein is very overrated and quoted as if his thought is precious. Problems with social psychological surveys seem underrated, problematic. Hemingway and Steinbeck, totally overrated. Foreign language authors (Italy, French, German...) are undervalued in U.S.

sinenomine

For me, digital humanities falls in both camps: in some cases, it's done well and yields interesting insights, but in many cases, the term is used for flashy-looking work with little to no substance.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

The continued reliance on Frazier, Jung, Eliade, and Joseph Campbell as historical (rather than thematic/analytical) sources wrecks the integrity of much of the early dance and art history for which we have few documented sources about the creators' intentions, motivations, inspirations, etc.

And a "carole" is NOT a 'circle dance'...it's not even always a dance!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Ruralguy

String theory is complete bs. There, I said it. All of cosmology is just a bunch of  poorly understood fudge factors (each worth a new Nobel prize).